Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more for the clunking noises - for the past month I was hearing a clunk in my rear driver side. Tried to take off seats and tightened the crossbar bolts as well as tightened the rear sway/endlinks. Even inspected the rear strut bolts. Nothing fixed the clunk.

Here's what it sounds like - going at low/medium speed while turning hard a clunk is heard, then as the car straightened out it "unclunks" as you feel whatever made the noise pop back into place. Weird.

After a trip to the dealer the noise was located - it was the subframe/chassis bolts that were loose. This is an assembly problem. :mad:
Now everything feels more solid than before, steering wheel a lot heavier too.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Rear diff.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Where in the car are they.

·
Registered
941 Posts
One more for the clunking noises - for the past month I was hearing a clunk in my rear driver side. Tried to take off seats and tightened the crossbar bolts as well as tightened the rear sway/endlinks. Even inspected the rear strut bolts. Nothing fixed the clunk.

Here's what it sounds like - going at low/medium speed while turning hard a clunk is heard, then as the car straightened out it "unclunks" as you feel whatever made the noise pop back into place. Weird.

After a trip to the dealer the noise was located - it was the subframe/chassis bolts that were loose. This is an assembly problem. :mad:
Now everything feels more solid than before, steering wheel a lot heavier too.
subframe is in the front not the rear... do you have any idea whats chassis bolts did they check?? i got some problem but in front end. im gonna check all the bolts this weekend but need some ideas where to start.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will keep you guys updated next time i'm at the dealer and the car is on the lift.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow.. i've had this same clunking problem for months now.

I suspect its loose from when they had to install my front sway bar and had to remove the sub frame. Thanks for the info! I'll go get mine checked now :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Take a 1/2" Drive rachet with ext... 17mm and a 19mm sockets climb
under your car and tighten every bolt you can find in that size. Simple.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too have this exact same problem.... it seems to go away for a while sometimes but comes back.... :wtfsign:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
hummmm.... This has me worried now... I have been hearing this same clunk for a while now (from Western Canada all the way down to Key West Florida and back)... I am going to get the guys at our dealership to take a look but any pictures would help as the our dealerships are all VW, Audi and Porsche so its not like the techs are going to be use to this car and its issues.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Did we ever get pictures for this. I am having the same movement of the subframe like the front of the car and the back of the car are loose. Aka subframe is moving slightly back and forth from the rest of the chassis

1 - 20 of 26 Posts