Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the car Jan 28th. Drove it for two weeks with the stock radio. Got the dash kit and installed a kenwood DDX616 from my last car.
Before

During

New radio installed

Built a mount for the amp and used the bolt that held the spare in to keep things still.

Didn't get a pic of the amp wired up before I closed everything up. Subs in the trunk. 12 W02's

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had 2 12s in my trunk I got rid of it had windshield shaking & the extra weight made the ass end swing out on me a few times. Don't get me wrong I do miss them because of the way they sounded. But as far as rattle it wasn't real bad to me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Trunk space? What is that? I haven't had a trunk in 3 years. :dancebanana: As for rattles, I'm not sure yet, haven't had a chance to test it yet.
The evo x trunk was beautiful when I switched to it lol. No strut bar through the middle of it. Did it slow the car down a bit? That box looks heavy. Nice install w/ the h/u tho!

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
My speaker setup kept sliding around in the trunk on drives. It beat the shit out of the lining so I took them out. I do miss them though

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I got a different dash kit recommend by a member on another forum from EBAY for $40 I swapped them out.
It uses the factory radio brackets to mount your radio. This was the hardest part getting screw holes to line up and have the HU fit in the hole properly.

Everybody knows how bad the metra kit fits so on with this one

The only thing I can nick pick on is the gap around the radio and trim ring. I need to find something to fit in there. Sorry no picture of that gap right now. I'll snag one later.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nice dood. I went through a recent upgrade path myself. I do like having some trunk space though. You could make 2 custom boxes, and put them in the side well and still have some usable trunk space.

something like this, but on both sides

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Watch ur amp temps no moving air and depending on ur catback mufflers right there. I have almost the same set up but amps on back of the box so i can undo 4 wires and remove it all.

And i hope u bolted it down back there good one hard turn and it will slide everwhere. I had to cut press board to replace the factor board bec the screws ripped right out if it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks really good!

Is there a brand/name/part number for that dash kit? I think that silver trim bit is a nice touch.
Check post #9 the ebay link is there.

Nice dood. I went through a recent upgrade path myself. I do like having some trunk space though. You could make 2 custom boxes, and put them in the side well and still have some usable trunk space.
Thought about something like that, but I had this box from previous install and it fit so..

Watch ur amp temps no moving air and depending on ur catback mufflers right there. I have almost the same set up but amps on back of the box so i can undo 4 wires and remove it all.
And i hope u bolted it down back there good one hard turn and it will slide everwhere. I had to cut press board to replace the factor board bec the screws ripped right out if it.
I don't think heat will be much of a problem. I had it mounted the same way in my last car. The amp is elevated one inch off of the carpeted part so some air can get around it.And the box is wedged in there pretty good so it shouldn't move around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.