Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I had been doing a little bit of searching and experimenting on how to both enjoy the car as much as possible without thinking "I hope my range didn't drop by 40 miles because I hit boost once"
If you are like me, I didn't buy this car for the gas mileage but I still wanted an Evo for the sake of getting an Evo and I bought mine as a daily driver- if I wanted to make it into a dedicated race car, believe me..mpg would be the LAST thing on my list.
I live in a medium-elevation area (Billings, MT) and my average, 100% town driving (with 5 minute commutes to work that are horrible for mpg anyways) is about 14 mpg. My best ever was driving from Butte, MT back here with 50+ mph winds pushing me along... I went about 75mph and got 27.6 mpg.:rock:

Only mods to my car is an HKSPF and Cobb Stage 1 91 1.08 ( I use 93 and the appropriate maps too on occasion).
As I said, I didn't buy this car for the mileage but hopefully you might see an idea here that might help you get from point a to point b a little more efficiently so that when you DO decide to go balls-to-the-wall it will be with that much more of a smile on your face. Obviously some are common sense, but I know that the world as a whole is in short supply of this..so I am including them anyways.

1: With TC-SST: Normal Auto is complete crap for driving around town IMOP. It still revs just a little higher than I would like. Unless you are going up hills, you have no need to be right at the boost threshold before an upshift. I would just as well use manual sport mode and keep my revs to a minimum without bogging the engine: i.e. no lower than about 2000.

2: Use Cruise control AROUND TOWN: If you are driving in areas with a constant 35mph speed limit or so (and obviously minimal to light traffic) try using cruise control as it is the only time that I ever keep normal mode on at all. You will be amazed.

3: Try "resetting your throttle"- as I call it. Before you go :wtfsign:, hear me out. This one is hard to describe without sounding like a retard unless one of the technical-guys that can explain how the throttle works in detail steps in. The only way that you can see this work is by watching your instantaneous mileage on your gauges. (I do not know if this would appear the same on the red 2008 gauges as it does on the LCD screen)
The next time you accelerate to get up to speed, try removing your foot from the throttle completely before continuing to cruise INSTEAD of just easing up pressure on the pedal. If you pay attention to your mileage, the "measurement" appears to slightly reset itself, almost as if your throttle had been closed for a moment and settled back into a groove of cruising. Of course, this may just be in my head and be the result of the EXTREMELY sensitive throttle.

4: Get your accelerating done quick then back off. Your average mpg is the obviously the cumulative fuel efficiency of your total miles travelled. If you spend ALL day accelerating and decelerating from 0-35-0 non stop without continuously travelling AT 35mph for a length of time your mpg is going to suffer. Get to speed as quick as possible in the shortest amount of time and distance possible and back off the throttle. As I said, this throttle is very sensitive (see #3) and can go from "drink like a college chick at a frat party mode" to "exercise moderate restraint mode" with very little input from your right foot. Understanding this will also help make #3 make more sense. It only does to me if I actually watch it happen.

5: Don't go over 65-70 on the freeway. On the MR's, 70mph has you at about 2900 rpm. This is right about where your turbo starts to spool up to get ready to play and gets read to start dumping in fuel to make boost. Granted on a longer trip, an extra 5+mph can seem tempting but considering that will cost you an extra 3-5mpg or more on average, this is where restraint pays off. I would rather use minimal gas on trips when I have noone to impress and burn that extra gas saved at the stoplight while humilating some riced Honda. :shades:

6: Then there are the usuals: Make sure you change your spark plugs regularly- 10-15k intervals are good, change your oil EVERY 3k miles, don't keep extra, un-needed items in the car, keep your tires inflated properly, etc.

I hope a few of these help anyone who felt a need to read this. Happy motoring, guys !

· Registered
2,232 Posts
Another point about the acceleration which I do when cruising is not to accelerate up hills. My F-150 gets ass mileage so I'm always trying to get better mileage with it. I'll take off from the stop, and if I hit a hill, I just maintain speed, then continue accelerating after I get to the top. Makes a big difference in my truck, but that thing is a heavy pig.

· Registered
319 Posts
Do you calculate this based on fuel/mile division, or go strictly off the panel gauge? - sounds like you use the gauge based on #3 which does seem to provide fairly false readings in that scenario.

I know there are people that will argue the stock gauge (the trip avg one) is crap and inaccurate. I will say from my personal experience of actually calculating my MPG every two days or so (how often I fill up gas for work commute) - that the instrument gauge is usually within 1mpg of my estimate.

All of that being said, they sound like good tips. I would try them sometime, if I didn't enjoy actually driving the Evo :godance:

BTW - you doubled posted. you have another thread the exact same http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50206

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the gauge is not the most accurate. I will usually treat it with a grain of salt and use it as only a rough guideline. Usually I use an app on my Droid to track mileage with each fill up. It seems to be pretty well in line with the gauge usually though. Remember, that the gauge resets itself with each warmup/cool cycle, so I ONLY use it on a trip by trip basis instead of overall mile per a tank of gas.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also saw that I double posted. I put a note on the other one for the mods to close it down- =) Goofy weather here and the internet is a little slower than usual because of it I think lol.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Get a good tune. Using the cobb and stage 2, I was getting around 15-18 depending on my driving habits.

Now with a custom tune I'm getting 17-23.

A good tune pays for itelf inside a year assuming you are driving around 12k miles and paying $4 a gallon for gas.

· Registered
9,666 Posts
After owning my SE for only a week but plenty of freeway driving I also agree with point 5. If i go 80 my mpg drops a good 3mpg. This is calculated tank to tank miles driven/gal filled. I drove alot this week for work so it was consistent.
On my old subie I went from cobb ap stage II 22-24 hwy avg to a HB Speed stage II dyno tune increased power over the ots map and increased my mpg by an avg 3. Get a tune.

· Registered
509 Posts
I like to burn lots of dinosaur oil. I just floor the gas pedal every stop light. The problem is I can't find 93 octane without ethanol in it. Is it safe to put 93 octane that has 10% ethanol in it? The dealership told me not to and stay with 91 octane without ethanol.

· Registered
56 Posts
My secret has always just been STAY OUT OF BOOST haha. Although the car does still eat gas like a monster out of boost more than a comparable car, its still better.

If you're going on trips, or going any kind of decent distance, make your acceleration a little more gradual, and be light on the gas pedal in general. Its kinda obsessive, but on long trips i watch my boost gauge whenever i have to get up a little faster or from a stop. If i stay out of boost for most of the trip, my gas mileage goes way up. I've hit 26/27 a number of times on long trips in the 2400 miles i've owned the car

· Registered
415 Posts
I used to think my EVO X got poor fuel mileage but now I own a 5.0L I miss the fuel economy of my EVO lol. At least with the EVO I could get 17 mpg in the city on Stg.2 but the best I can get is 15 mpg in the Mustang and at times it's in the 14's.

· Registered
394 Posts
I did the manual shift mode shifting before 3000k RPMs today and managed 25 MPG on my daily commute.

To do the same in automatic mode you'd have to drive with a pretty light foot, but in fully manual mode it didn't feel slow at all.

Not something I'll do everyday but if you feel like getting extra mileage during some trips, I would definitely recommend the manual mode over automatic.

· Registered
75 Posts
The gauge as stated is useless. You have to calculate miles per fillup.

Best way to "good for an evo mileage" is light use of gas, no rpm over 3, preferably not over 2.5, no speed above 60ish and getting off the gas as early as possible before braking or "coasting" while in gear.

I don't drive my evo for mpg but I do this in my accent and usually get over quoted highway miles. I also shift around 2k in the accent. The evo is a gas pig and is an expensive 60 mile a day commuter :-/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.