Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Gary I went on the Prodrive Track on Thursday but only just got home to give my thoughts. Have taken a few photos and a few vids so thought it was easier to start my own thread.

Most of my day was spent in the SST version of the Evo and despite "only" 300ps it still had a nice amount of power and torque for the track. Now for those waiting on the SST box in the US I think those that are interested in it will like it. I didnt want one and I still dont. Thats not because its not a good box, its brilliant. Smooth in the auto and paddle shift modes and very quick but still smooth in the sport and super sport modes. I cant quite express how smooth this is for what is almost an auto box. But thats the problem for me and the reason I dont want it. To some degree, even accelerating to and dropping back down from 100mph plus I didnt feel involved like I do in a manual car. I felt like I was on a Xbox game just pulling up and down on the flappy paddles with no clutch to push and little to do with my gear shift arm. You could almost drive it one handed. I suppose in the City this would be perfect but for me personally I want to feel more involved in the driving.

If you do want the SST though dont let me put you off, as a gear box it is absolutely brilliant :thumbup:

On the track it was so very balanced. Speaking to one of the instructors he said the likes of the Subarus go on the track and absolutely rip the tyres to pieces. They got through plenty of sets on the Evo X too but he said he couldnt believe how well balanced they had made it. The tyres were wearing very evenly unlike previous evos. Everyone was universally impressed with this; drivers, instructors and even the media had very very little to complain about on the X. :shades:

I drove the SST on the track and the tight adverse handling course - It performed admirably on both. The SST probably made the tight course much easier than it was because you could keep your hands on the wheel, the instructors were very very good to. The manual would have made a tricky course very tough to do it right. Thoroughly enjoyed it though, I was pretty crap on that one. The trick is to be very smooth and allow the car to do the work. I was far too erratic and heavy footed :thumbup:

After the SST I got to try the FQ360, sadly it was only on the skid pan but OMG :eek: To say the power difference was noticeable is a massive understatement. The instructor put his foot down and pinned me to my seat from the outset. And may I add the Leather seats with EvolutionX not only looked amazing but were also firmer than the fabric ones, which I liked! I took it on the skid pan with SAWC on and drove like a God. Totally sideways from one side to the other looking out the side window and bringing it perfectly back in line. Then we turned the first stage off. I hammered it again and within two sideways actions I was facing the way I came with the engine cut out! Turns out the car is awesome and Im retard! Same happened when second stage (AYC) of SAWC was turned off too. But it perfectly demonstrated just how good the new SAWC is in keeping you on the road.

Was a brilliant day and really glad I went on it. Was also very very pleased that I ordered the manual, the phantom black and the 360, all of which make a good car a friggin brilliant one :rock:

Will now post up photos and very short videos! Thanks for reading. Will try to answer any questions if anyone has any.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
Thanks !!! great info's and write up! AAAAAAnd videos!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep , was my first track day so to do the fast track, the short handling course and the skidpan was just awesome. Cant put into words how much I enjoyed the day.

Plus I got a free breakfast and 3 course lunch :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Excellent! thanks for that Gumbo. Good to hear you had a good time! I wish I could have come. Shame your couldn't get more time in the 360 and maybe take it on the circuit! I'm still not loving that carbon front spoiler - would look better if it was body coloured don't you think... Still I'm dead jealous, Cheers for the pics and vids! From the sounds of it - the 360 is defo worth the wait! :thumbup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent! thanks for that Gumbo. Good to hear you had a good time! I wish I could have come. Shame your couldn't get more time in the 360 and maybe take it on the circuit! I'm still not loving that carbon front spoiler - would look better if it was body coloured don't you think... Still I'm dead jealous, Cheers for the pics and vids! From the sounds of it - the 360 is defo worth the wait! :thumbup:
My car is Phantom Black so the carbon lip spoiler will be pretty much colour coded :shades:

·
Registered
36 Posts
My car is Phantom Black so the carbon lip spoiler will be pretty much colour coded :shades:
yeah true say, guess it'll look pretty much black so won't stand out on yours. Mines silver so wonder how that will look. I don't want to have to get it sprayed! Will see what happens......... the wait continues.... :rock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts