Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6-7 weeks ago I was looking at which short shifter kit to buy for my GSR X. Turns out I got the Works short shifter shaft, after unpacking the box and finding that there is nothing except the shaft and an shitty manual, I install the short-shifter only to find out that the action is rougher than my stock shifter. I take it out, sand it down with 500grit sand paper and apply lithium grease, it isn't that much better.

So I decide to install my stock shifter back, I re-pack the works shifter and send it back for refund. They call me and tell me they won't refund me because I damaged their know while smoothing the pivot down. I was eventually able to get them to refund me.

Back to square one, I go online again and start looking for alternatives. I keep seeing TWM Performance, having no experience with the brand I was hesitating at first but it turns out that most people buying TWM were happy. So I go ahead and buy their big kit, the full replacement short shifter assembly, with cable bushings, alcantara boot and a graphite Piston shift knob.

Fast forward one week later, I receive the boxes by UPS.

Here are the bushings, really high quality fit & finish.

Here is the Piston shift knob in flat black, that thing is freakin' heavy! Shifts like crazy. Fit & finish is very very nice, the coating is pretty thick and won't scratch easily.

Here is the assembled Shift cage, it is pretty heavy, you can see it will take some serious abuse, parts and hardware are very high quality. it was so worth it, makes for such a stiff shift, pretty amazing part.

-----------------------------------

So I installed everything, that heavy shift knob has huge height adjustment, I put mine really low, the weight really works with me as a counterweight, makes for a really positive feel when you engage a gear, it makes this amazing "clunk" sound. The bushings eliminate that side to side play as well as the play when a gear is engaged, you somehow feel more connected to the transmission but without any bad vibrations.

I will post pictures when I get the time to clean my car, it has calcium marks everywhere #fknwinter.

So in a nutshell, it was well, well worth the price, every parts are extremely high quality, the welds are amazing, hardware is high-quality, finish is spot on, everything is tight, the alcantara boot is really cool.

Build Quality: 5/5
Aesthetics: 5/5
Customer service: 5/5
Price: 4/5
Value: 6/5
Total: 5/5

·
Registered
892 Posts
this is probably the first time ive ever heard someone say TWM's short shifter by itself sucked.

this is also the first review of the full cage saying it was a huge upgrade from stock.

why did you buy from TWM again if you had such a bad experience before?

edit: i can't read. lol

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts
i just got my kit , this weekend we will install it.

next weekend we will test it. i have to say the cage kind of heavy though. but at a first glance it is very very nice and good quality.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i just got my kit , this weekend we will install it.

next weekend we will test it. i have to say the cage kind of heavy though. but at a first glance it is very very nice and good quality.
Nice! Will we see a quick review from you? Also, let us know how the weights compare between stock and the TWM.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts
Nice! Will we see a quick review from you? Also, let us know how the weights compare between stock and the TWM.
ill measure the cage difference in weight for you :)
i am guessing will be a quiet difference. based on the materials. the tmw should be rock solid as i am looking at it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
He originally had the Works short shifter that he didnt like.

How noob friendly is the install? Need to dremel anything?
I've done the install as well (on a separate review thread though) - and it's pretty easy. Don't need to dremel anything, but it might help to cut the carpet as per the instructions.

The hardest part was that cable clip at the back. If I had lithe and strong hands, it wouldn't be a problem. Solution is to use a flathead screwdriver and press while pulling up. Otherwise, I'd say this review is spot on as well :)

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts
as it is today, we got the package without a short throw shifter. ( i dont need it)
The bushing came with instruction , we did installed it. Since requires more then a screw driver and some pressing etc. it is not basic install . But works fine and easy install.

The cage, is nice and looking very sharp in the car. . But came without install manual. Anyway we did the install. We also raised the shifter to the possible highest point (which is possible to install the shifter one screw whole higher). Made a really nicely a higher positioned shifter position. +1

The bad part is after we installed it and finished for today in the shop , the test drive didnt worked out as we excepted it. Sadly we do not have a 5th gear...
I am sure we will fix it, but looks like this is also not an exactly simple install if you do raise the shifter to the provided possible highest position.

The shifter feels really sharp and direct - precised, but missing the 5th gear after a regular install, grinds and wont accept the fifth gear.
I am tired now, but monday we will look into and fix the issue. I'll post pictures later. The interior definitely a notch higher looking now.

Rob

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts
ok, so i couldnt wait until monday. I rechecked the install. Turns out the highest point you can do with a shifter cage the stock shifter cant have enough room to shift the fifth grear. So i did lowered the shifter the standard hight (i am guessing that is a standard since we have no install manual) and now it works perfect.

I did drove around a bit, and the shifter seems very sharp - precised and really has a good highend shifter feeling. I was still too lazy to have picture but i am sure next weekend i will have planty.

So far looks good and feels good. I like it. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
ok, so i couldnt wait until monday. I rechecked the install. Turns out the highest point you can do with a shifter cage the stock shifter cant have enough room to shift the fifth grear. So i did lowered the shifter the standard hight (i am guessing that is a standard since we have no install manual) and now it works perfect.

I did drove around a bit, and the shifter seems very sharp - precised and really has a good highend shifter feeling. I was still too lazy to have picture but i am sure next weekend i will have planty.

So far looks good and feels good. I like it. :)
Did you have stiffer bushings before installing the cage, or was it stock?

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts
it will, just not if you raise the shifter to its highest setting. According to rob.
yes that is the issue. The stock shifter bottom part is too long and it does hit the cage at 5th gear shifting, so i think you need a short throw shifter to utilize the highest position of the cage.
Mine stock shifter right now is sitting in the lowest position and works perfect. However , i am kind of upset i cant use the highest point, which would be wonderful , and it was soo nice up there... :) We might will machine down the cage there to able to raise the shifter back to the highest point. Which is really will make a nice upgrade for me.

i will make picture in the weekend to show what i am talking about, if its not clear.

Rob

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
which bushings? the under hood bushings were stock.
Just wondering if you had any aftermarket shifter-type mods (short shirt, cable and/or base bushings, etc) before or if was all stock. Because it would seem even more impressive if you had those upgrade already and still were enjoying the cage. I ask because I'm about to order a short shifter myself with all the upgraded bushings and was debating on the cage...it's just so expensive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.