Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Resolved the Issue.

I went to fill up with more E85 the other day and my car was left on for another 30 seconds or so (not sure why I even use that damn turbo timer, I don't even need it..) Anyways, I go to fill up and as soon as fuel began flowing from the pump to my tank, my rpms went sporadic while my AFRs began to read very rich.

I quickly shut it off and finished fueling, turned it back on, and everything seemed fine again.

Later yesterday, I went WOT and noticed I began to nip @ 13afrs..
WTF.

I got out, checked my FPR line, good.
Relay, good.
All fuel connections in my bay, good.
My fuel trims are disabled at WOT and they are fine.
All lines on intake and induction are fine, everything is being accounted for by the maf.

I'm thinking maybe it has to deal with my fuel pump due to the odd occurrence while fueling up? I just don't understand why because I replaced my fuel pump lines to withstand any corrosive dilemmas the corn could throw at me I thought.

I just wanted to get an opinion before taking my back seat off and smelling my whole car up of that fuel first.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bad or too Good?? you mean dirty by saying bad??explain plzz :)
When you run e85, it's not always guaranteed to contain 85% ethanol, it ranges from 70-85, depending on the station. I believe that's what he means...

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
When you run e85, it's not always guaranteed to contain 85% ethanol, it ranges from 70-85, depending on the station. I believe that's what he means...
Yeah, this is an issue in our area as well. I analyze fuels for various issues such as composition error detection on a lot of flex fuel models. It does vary a lot.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
isn't this a classic case of failed fuel relay, at least in terms of the AFR going lean in WOT?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, this is an issue in our area as well. I analyze fuels for various issues such as composition error detection on a lot of flex fuel models. It does vary a lot.
Do you notice significant differences in the stations around here? I've only filled my tank at the Shell (I believe it's a Shell) in New Braunfels, Valero in San Marcos, and the HEB's in Kyle, and Austin. Ever sampled these stations? Does it vary based on the station or do the stations themselves receive different quality e85's?

·
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
isn't this a classic case of failed fuel relay, at least in terms of the AFR going lean in WOT?
Can be, but I've out ruled that scenario.

Could it be beacause your gas cap was off?
No.

I'd say check the pump, but also I wonder if the fuel may be bad or too good.
Will do. But would it really cause the sporadic idle while fueling due to a +/- 5 to 8% difference of ethanol content? That seems a bit extreme to me for some reason.

What injectors you using? Seen the threads about 1600+cc issues?
DW 1000cc. They are 1st gens I believe. I'd blame it on them, but I had them working just fine till this point which makes me want to point somewhere else.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Do you notice significant differences in the stations around here? I've only filled my tank at the Shell (I believe it's a Shell) in New Braunfels, Valero in San Marcos, and the HEB's in Kyle, and Austin. Ever sampled these stations? Does it vary based on the station or do the stations themselves receive different quality e85's?
Most customers I have dealt with either got Valero or HEB fuels. I'm sure there were a couple I didn't get that info on, though.

·
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I decided to pull my fuel pump, sure enough the filter was clogged like a bitch. Is this normal with E85? I wouldn't think so.. Maybe my fuel source isn't that clean I guess..

·
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Walbro 255s. It didn't have anything to deal with the pump itself. Just the filter.

·
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good enought. :) try to get gas from good places.

Check your inline fuel filter too.
Inline was good. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump's did it's job. As for getting gas from another place, I wish I could..

The nearest place with E85 for me is in another state, so I don't think that is going to work out very well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts