Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got about 2K miles on the car when low tire pressure light came on... found a nail in one of the tires.

no tire shop would repair it because it's right at the edge to the sidewall.. so my only option is to replace 1 original advan or get 4 new tires and try to sell the other 3 advans.

realistically, how easy would it be to sell these OEM tires?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I would get all 4 new tires.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Measure the tread depth. You can ask the shop or go to a Kragen and get a tread depth measuring device for a few bucks. Once you know the average depth, you can order 1 new tire from tire rack and ask them to shave it down to that depth in the notes of your order. I think it's like $14 extra or something.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
is there any specific reason that this is better?
AWD require all tires to be very close in depth size to prevent damage to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
when i had a nail close to the sidewall on my civic i just used a blackjack plug repair on it and drove it till it was time to replace all 4 tires......then again it was a civic and not the evo. If you go this route though, keep a close eye on the tire pressure to make sure it doesn't leak. its meant as a temporary repair after all.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
Measure the tread depth. You can ask the shop or go to a Kragen and get a tread depth measuring device for a few bucks. Once you know the average depth, you can order 1 new tire from tire rack and ask them to shave it down to that depth in the notes of your order. I think it's like $14 extra or something.

Do this.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Shaving one new tire is the Dumbest thing I have heard in a while... Wow the stuff you guys come up with sometimes. Idiots.....

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Shaving one new tire is the Dumbest thing I have heard in a while... Wow the stuff you guys come up with sometimes. Idiots.....
Newb we don't come up with it. Tire rack does. Tard!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Newb ???? I join in 2010 and you join in 2011 and I'm a Newb. You should get your post count up...

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you cant afford a set of new tires right now, just buy one shaved. I see nothing wrong with it. Especially if your tires now have alot of thread left. If your tires are pretty much bald, yes, buy a new set of tires, even if they are regular all season tires..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you cant afford a set of new tires right now, just buy one shaved. I see nothing wrong with it. Especially if your tires now have alot of thread left. If your tires are pretty much bald, yes, buy a new set of tires, even if they are regular all season tires..
thanks all for the advice.

in the end I decided to buy 4 michelin pss (1K total..ouch). wish me luck selling the 3 advans

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.