Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going down a steep hill covered with .5-1 inch of snow, speed was around 5mph, as I was stepping on my brakes they start vibrating and the pedal would not go down. Thankfully i was able to drift the car to a stop without hitting anything! So i continue driving...thinking it was an isolated incident, then it happened again this time with flow of traffic! Damn brakes would not work and they just keep on vibrating. I had to go to the other side of the road to prevent hitting the car in front of me! WTF!!? This has never happened before and i'm talking about light snow here. I've driven the car on moderate snow and have never had this problem. It's like the car just won't stop if the road is covered with snow. I did work on my brakes 2 weeks ago, placed some grease behind the brake pads (the circles of that metal portion). Do you guys think there's a connection? has this ever happened to anyone before? Please note there are still a good amount of brake pad left....I was on snow mode traction at the time...i was not speeding, please help this thing has me shaken!!!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
That's called ABS kicking it. And the brakes are super sensitive (Brembos yo!) that the ABS kicks in fast like that. That's what that vibrating is. I think what you are experiencing is completely normal.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
now when you say vibration, do you mean the ABS or something actually wrong with the brakes? I had some "holy shit" moments in my srt-10 ram and 370z when the abs kicks in.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Yup....normal. When ABS kicks in, your best bet is to keep the pedal depressed until coming to a stop. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's called ABS kicking it. And the brakes are super sensitive (Brembos yo!) that the ABS kicks in fast like that. That's what that vibrating is. I think what you are experiencing is completely normal.
dude i was going like 5mph and my car would not stop! the pedal would not stay down..are u sure this shitz normal??? and ppl were braking with ease, mean while i'm slip n slidin trying to hold that brake pedal down.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
your on the OEM tires, aren't you...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now when you say vibration, do you mean the ABS or something actually wrong with the brakes? I had some "holy shit" moments in my srt-10 ram and 370z when the abs kicks in.
i had my brakes checked at the dealership because of squealing and he didn't mention any problems with the brakes. I don't know man, why would abs kick in at such slow speed?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
summer tires will kill you, get all seasons or winter tires quick. Summer tires caused $1200 damage on my Evo on the very first day of snow.
This x10.

Lately i've been driving on my Rota/Nittos set because it will snow hard, then be completely melted and dry within 15 hours and actually warm outside. Kind of lame, the 6 or 7 times its snowed hard this year, only once the snow/ice stuck to the ground the next day. Should go put on my winters right now actually, its gonna be 8 degrees tommorow and its been snowing for the last several hours.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
yes i got the car in july. are these tires going to kill me one day?[/

its not your brakes or the abs. Its the tires, i love the oem tires but there summer performance tires and dont really work under 45 and definitely not in the snow. Get some winter tires and your evo will feel *100 better in the snow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This x10.

Lately i've been driving on my Rota/Nittos set because it will snow hard, then be completely melted and dry within 15 hours and actually warm outside. Kind of lame, the 6 or 7 times its snowed hard this year, only once the snow/ice stuck to the ground the next day. Should go put on my winters right now actually, its gonna be 8 degrees tommorow and its been snowing for the last several hours.
y the hell are these tires so damn sh*tty especially for a 35k car!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
y the hell are these tires so damn sh*tty especially for a 35k car!
They aren't shitty tires. They're pretty grippy if youre driving in warm weather on nice roads, though they wear down fast and are super overpriced. They're still nice summer tires. But you should know that summer tires designed for summer temps with a tread that's practically bald compared to a true winter tire is going to drive like shit in cold weather, especially snow - regardless of how much there is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yo thanks guys...didn't know it was suicidal driving with these tires
The huge warning sticker on the driver's side door panel should be a good indication(if purchased new). Other than that common sense dictates "summer" means tires are for "summer" conditions.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.