Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently dropped my H&R kit down to.. well, very low. 1/16th of an inch between front tire and fender. It looks like sex.

I have had a popping/clunking noise from the front left strut, even on the SMOOTHEST roads. We re-torqued everything down 3 times, and the alignment shop re-torqued everything down as well after aligning it. Tightening it hasn't done squat. Do not suggest that tightening will fix shit please.

So we took off my front wheel and jacked it up to see if we can reproduce the issue, and well.. its fucked. both the coil spring and the lower tender spring are completely loose and move freely and i can twist them around all the way. There is about less than 1/4" of play between the top mount and the springs. Keep in mind, my car is pretty low, absolutely no fender gap at all, its literally perfect and how i want it. I love the height and i refuse to change it. Its so low that the springs no longer compress if you fully torque them down.. unless they are mounted and the car is flat and sitting on the wheels - even then, the SLIGHTEST incline/decline/bump or un-eveness will cause clunking and popping. The body goes up, the wheels go down then it smacks right back into it when the car reaches full compression and that's when the clunking begins. Its a terrifying sound, it doesn't sound safe driving it. Im assuming its destroying my top mounts right now and fucking up the bearings etc.. oh well.

I believe there are a few fixes, and using a combination of them will probably be better. Get taller tender springs. Get a thicker set of spring perches. Get a custom camber kit. Or get all.

The size of the tender springs are 60-60-20.. im guessing the first 60's stand for I.D. and length in mm.. the 20 is Nm/mm. That's my guess.. Someone confirm this please.

I need to know if the MR top mounts are the same exact dimensions as the GSR's top mounts, if they are then im in luck and can go straight to Vorshlag's site and order right now without having to take mine off and waste my $120 alignment for the timing being. or.. someone who just happens to have a front top mount laying around, if you could measure that, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a solution as well, but finding similar springs is going to be a PITA and getting the spring rate just right will also be a challenge.. it's also more expensive. I plan to get the camber kit anyways, flipping around camber bolts is a PITA for both me and my alignment shop. In the long run, it will pay itself out.

Am i correct about the 60-60-20 thing? Do you know if the MR top hats are the exact same dimensions as the GSR? I'd assume they are but i need to be sure. I have finally found a site that sells H&R tender springs to whatever specs you want. I was thinking 75-80mm long, same spring rate, $58/each.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
That is a solution as well, but finding similar springs is going to be a PITA and getting the spring rate just right will also be a challenge.. it's also more expensive. I plan to get the camber kit anyways, flipping around camber bolts is a PITA for both me and my alignment shop. In the long run, it will pay itself out.

Am i correct about the 60-60-20 thing? Do you know if the MR top hats are the exact same dimensions as the GSR? I'd assume they are but i need to be sure. I have finally found a site that sells H&R tender springs to whatever specs you want. I was thinking 75-80mm long, same spring rate, $58/each.
I'm not sure on the rates thing for the tenders or top hats, but you should be able to order a spring with the exact same rates but with 1 or 2 more coils, they'll just have a different diameter. I'd call your coilover supplier and they should be able to help you out more then me :p.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called H&R, theyre only open mon-thur :/ But yeah i will be calling them soon about this. I dont want to go through this other site then find out its like a fucking 4 week ordeal - rather call H&R direct.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Get longer springs. It's much cheaper than Vorshlag plates and I don't understand why you think changing the top mount will have any effect on having the car too low for the spring length.

They're standard coilover spring sizing. You can order longer ones in 8k rate from Hyperco for like $65 each.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im getting the camber kit because its easier to get aligned, and my stock top hats are destroyed now anyways.

The H&R coil springs are ~7.3" right? (based on pics from your thread). Looks like Hyperco doesnt go past 8" for 60ID - part no. HYP188M0450. Do you think that will suffice or should i go with longer tender springs as well to be safe? Like 80mm long vs 60mm?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
right around 7 inches. 8 inches would help...i'm surprised they don't make a 9"...maybe you can try eibach or swift for their coil springs.

longer tender springs will help too, but you'd be better off with the longer main coil spring.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swifts springs go for an extra $20 each. Whatever, ordered the set of 8" Hyperco's. For shits ill be ordering a set of slightly taller tender springs as well, just in case it still clunks. Will check back later..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts