Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2010 GSR. It's my daily driver. I don't track it, maybe I'll autocross a bit someday, but nothing serious.

I currently have an ETS v2 Quiet exhaust and ETS high-flow cat installed. I also have an AP, and it's flashed to the stage 2 map. Things are good.

With ETS's sale last Thanksgiving, I bought a few parts to install in the spring. I have, in boxes, the ETS intake, ETS 3" anodized intercooler, ETS UICP, and an AEM X-Wifi wideband.

I figure on the next warm sunny weekend, I can install the intercooler and UICP myself, no tune required. However, before the intake goes on, I figure the car would need to be tuned for it. I was going to find a tuner and have them install the wideband and intake and then tune it.

The more I think about it, though, I wonder if it's worth risking possible issues with my daily driver. Why spend the time and money to get it tuned, when the whole time after I'll have to worry about the AFRs and if it'll act up because of the tune, all just for a few extra HP that I don't use often anyway? I'm thinking about skipping all that, and putting the unused intake and wideband on eBay.

So, what do you think? I know that it's not your money, so you'll think, "oh, just spend it!" but really. I don't race it, and I want to keep it running as well as it has been. I'd hate to spend the money only to ruin it. Would going to a custom tune with an intake, IC and exhaust be as trouble-free and significantly more powerful than just staying with stage 2 AP, IC and exhaust?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dude, you already bought all of the parts. You might as well install them and get a tune. That's what I did and my EVO runs great, we pretty much have the same mods.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've got a 2010 GSR. It's my daily driver. I don't track it, maybe I'll autocross a bit someday, but nothing serious.

I currently have an ETS v2 Quiet exhaust and ETS high-flow cat installed. I also have an AP, and it's flashed to the stage 2 map. Things are good.

With ETS's sale last Thanksgiving, I bought a few parts to install in the spring. I have, in boxes, the ETS intake, ETS 3" anodized intercooler, ETS UICP, and an AEM X-Wifi wideband.

I figure on the next warm sunny weekend, I can install the intercooler and UICP myself, no tune required. However, before the intake goes on, I figure the car would need to be tuned for it. I was going to find a tuner and have them install the wideband and intake and then tune it.

The more I think about it, though, I wonder if it's worth risking possible issues with my daily driver. Why spend the time and money to get it tuned, when the whole time after I'll have to worry about the AFRs and if it'll act up because of the tune, all just for a few extra HP that I don't use often anyway? I'm thinking about skipping all that, and putting the unused intake and wideband on eBay.

So, what do you think? I know that it's not your money, so you'll think, "oh, just spend it!" but really. I don't race it, and I want to keep it running as well as it has been. I'd hate to spend the money only to ruin it. Would going to a custom tune with an intake, IC and exhaust be as trouble-free and significantly more powerful than just staying with stage 2 AP, IC and exhaust?
Those are really tame mods. Youre fine. Go for it and enjoy it. Youre a long way off from risking reliability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMO just install them there very "light" mods and wont effect reliability if anything it will improve it slightly because of the better air flow with the new intercooler and piping.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
+1 to all of the above.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reassurance and the kick in the ass. ;) I'll get the IC and UICP on (maybe tomorrow!) and set up an appointment for the rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts