Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mostly sold on the AMI customs A-pillar pods but have some minor concerns about sightlines.

Does anyone have a dual pod (low mount) who can comment on how much view you lose in the front left? A few times now I've had a car suddenly "appear" about 10 feet away when I'm turning left even with the stock pillar. Even if I'm the only one to ever have this issue, I'd like to know if an a-pillar pod will make it worse.

I'm trying to decide between two gauges or a single mounted down low. The twin pods would be Boost and AFR unless someone can suggest better. I'll probably go AEM or Defi.

The other option is a single Zeitronix ZR2, mounted low. Does anyone have one of these gauges mounted in an AMI pod? I ask because the back of the Zeitronix is 52mm but the bezel is 62 and might look odd if it overlaps by 5mm either side.

I like that the ZR2 will let me monitor AFR, Boost, EGT, and something like Oil Temp, all at the same time. On the other hand, does the ability to monitor many things (one at a time) replace the information from two seperate dedicated gauges?

Cost is about the same for both setups, so really I'm just looking for three answers:
1. Obstructed view from a middle pod on an AMI custom a-pillar
2. On a Stage 1 setup, is Boost & AFR enough to safely monitor the engine?
3. Does the ZR2 overlap the AMI pod and look strange?

Cheers,

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On paper Zeitronix is looking like the better option but I don't know much about their quality or precision. Does anyone have any experience with Zeitronix gauges?

·
Registered
74 Posts
looks like no one has anything to say LOL

anyways i have a custom pod made my AMI customs, its actually a custom 3 guage made by Andrew for my RHD, i must say it turned out pretty good, i love it and the angle of the lower two were good and the top one was pointed a lil too high, but good nonetheless considering it was his FIRST time doing the RHD. ( i get lots of compliments for it too)

I dont find it to block my view, its a bit big but i still look out the door window when negotiating a turn anyways, even on the stock pillar. I have the defi racer gauges...they fit nicely.

hope this helps

·
Evos before hoes
2,599 Posts
^^^ Yea or it might take like 6 months before you ever see it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If these pillars aren't in stock anymore I'll just mount the gauges with the existing basic hardware until they are, or until someone else fills this niche with a stock looking pillar.

Thanks for the link Raytrix. While the results are a bit suspect for Innovate (it's their product they're pushing), the relative reviews of the other brands is probably accurate.

I also noticed that the Zeitronix kit I was comparing only has the o2 sensor and that the other sensors I'd want cost quite a bit... so I think I'm going dual AEM.
They DO bring up a good point about worn sensors. Only the Innovate would throw a flag saying "bad sensor" while the others would read off. Still, I think I'm willing to take that chance with the AEM UEGO.

I work in aviation and there's something to be said for having a gauge dedicated to each sensor. While I like the idea of a minimal install footprint, two 52mm gauges vs one 62mm isn't a huge difference in dash real-estate.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Don't get my wrong, I ran a AEM UEGO Analog style for a year and it haven't failed on me yet. It's pretty accurate at a +- .2 AFR. As long as your monitoring your ranges between 10.5-12 wide open throttle and cruise/idle 13.8-15.2 you should be fine. Anything pass those ranges you are either running mega rich or super lean.

Sweet spots to look for is 14.7 and 11.5 between cruise and full throttle

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am debating analag air/fuel now with the AEM, the uego might get annoying with night driving lol...

Guys how do you feel about Analog vs Digital with boost guages?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Digital is fancier IMO. I like the digital over the analog, plus the price isn't much cheaper for the analog.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Did the AMI 2 low set gauge pod with PLX devises boost & A/F gauges.

AMI pod is fabulous. Total OEM look. PLX gauges were our choice and they work and look great. Would have liked a peak boost button.

The AMI "fits" the interior as if it belongs.

·
aka SilverEvoX
229 Posts
If these pillars aren't in stock anymore I'll just mount the gauges with the existing basic hardware until they are, or until someone else fills this niche with a stock looking pillar.
You will be waiting a long time for a direct swap stock replacement a pillar gauge pod. People aren't making them because the R&D to include that little strap on the back that keeps the pillar from smacking you in the face if the airbag deploys adds a ton to the production cost. That's why everyone uses custom fiberglassed pillars overlaid onto stock A pillars, which also insure proper fitment based on how it sits in your exact car.

I might order one if they ever decide to "stock" them, for now I think the dual rexpeed a pillar will do lol
The Rexpeed pillar overlay is trash compared to the AMI pod. I bought one at first thinking the same thing that it would do but it's way to shiney and the overlay fitment is pretty poor without having part of it flapping around.

The AMI pillar does take a long ass time to get...mine was supposed to be ready by the end of Dec 2010 and I placed my order like late October 2010 and it finally showed up at the end of Feb 2011...the quality is top notch though and I'm in no way disappointed by the finished product. It matches the interior colors perfectly. I've got a low mount triple gauge pod with Defi Red Racer Boost/Fuel Pressure and an Innovate DB 99 Red Wideband.

If you're set on only running two gauges be sure one of them is a wideband.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks RotorGlowX. Do you find the triple pod interferes with your sightlines going around a left-hand corner or do you just look out the side window instead of the front while turning?

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the twin AEM's. I don't mind waiting for the AMI, assuming they're still taking orders. Hopefully they'll get back to me. I sent a pm here and a message on their site. Nothing yet :(

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ami pillar pods are like gold. If u see a used one snatch it up because no one knows when Andrew is pumping anymore out. The fit is perfect, the appearance is spot on, and I'm the envy of my Evo buddies because they can't get it.

My pillar pod is the 3 pod 52mm set up. I have absolutely zero visibility issues. I actually tend to forget they're even there.

I also run aem digital gauges (afr-boost-oil press). Love those as well. I would only swap these is defi came out with a afr gauge in the racer series.

·
aka SilverEvoX
229 Posts
Thanks RotorGlowX. Do you find the triple pod interferes with your sightlines going around a left-hand corner or do you just look out the side window instead of the front while turning?

Hopefully they'll get back to me. I sent a pm here and a message on their site. Nothing yet :(
No visibility issues. If you're that worried about it I would consider finding someone local and sit in their car and see how it looks. If you do a low mount double gauge it won't be an issue at all and I personally don't find the triple to be a hinderance in any way.

I'd try calling him directly and see how long the lead time is if he is making them still. I know he had a kid earlier this year so that probably put production on new orders way down

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again, thanks for the input. Now to convince them to make one for me!:rock:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts