Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently i did a couple pulls and noticed my car lacking in power, looked at the AFR gauge and at WOT they are 14-16.... instead of 11.2 or around there... It just started this and am clueless, had help to say might be fuel pump, vacuum hose off or boost leak. i checked all of the hoses and cant find anything... and i dont know why this would just randomly start happening. I turned the boost down to 20 with my MBC and no change there... I have the new fuel pump relays also..

What happens is i go WOT and car has usual power for about 1 or 2 seconds, and then hits a wall pretty much or the power goes in and out.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt sputter as per say like if like the turbo would surge and the car would rock back and forth, its very slight and can barely feel it. If i took my gf for a ride she would be like nothings different...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It could be that your fuel pump is on the way out. Also check our AFR gauge and make sure it is reading correctly (are you ~ 14.7 at idle). Definitely do NOT go WOT again until this is resolved.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be that your fuel pump is on the way out.
Yea thats third time ive heard that, Only other thing i can think of is my sensor on my test pipe, not for my afr gauge, but the car sensor was melting. The wires seemed to be intact though

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, i reset ecu about an hour or two ago. I did this by resetting battery 5 times to clear everything.. once i did that the car went crazy and the rpms would not go down from 1.5k-2 unless i stopped moving.. Also afr's would jump and i would have horrible idle like when the fpr hose came off... but that hose is fine... so im not sure..

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Afrs at idle are at 14.7 which is what i dont understand.. i took a video of them and then of my idle because at idle, i always get a popping sound every once in a while... Im not sure if that just happens because of turbo back exhaust or what...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Afrs at idle are at 14.7 which is what i dont understand.. i took a video of them and then of my idle because at idle, i always get a popping sound every once in a while... Im not sure if that just happens because of turbo back exhaust or what...
Occasional "pop" is normal when idling, you should log your STFT / LTFT Idle / LTFT cruise and see what they look like. If your idle is loopy then your trims are most likely all over the place. I'm still feeling fuel pump, my friend had this issue on his stock fuel pump, it ran out of steam up top and the car went lean.

I have an aftermarket fuel pump, if you want my stock one (worked perfectly when I took it out) let me know. Not sure what they go for but I'll give you a very fair price.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Occasional "pop" is normal when idling, you should log your STFT / LTFT Idle / LTFT cruise and see what they look like. If your idle is loopy then your trims are most likely all over the place. I'm still feeling fuel pump, my friend had this issue on his stock fuel pump, it ran out of steam up top and the car went lean.

I have an aftermarket fuel pump, if you want my stock one (worked perfectly when I took it out) let me know. Not sure what they go for but I'll give you a very fair price.
Ok that makes me more comfortable, and i have everything to log, but cant! all my pins are bent up in my port... Ill try to bend them down tonight or tomorrow. as for the fuel pump, i have some ID 1000cc injectors sitting here and ill most likely just go with aftermarktet so i can run E85 then. Thanks though for the offer man. What fuel pump did you end up going with?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1pyGaiihM&feature=youtu.be
Here is vid with AFR's very hard to see, go 720p and full screen makes it easier

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
check your new fuel relays any anyway. swap with your headlight fuse

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Relays..

check your new fuel relays any anyway. swap with your headlight fuse
I just looked at all the relays again and found out he didnt switch the fuel pump one... he switched all but... i have a picture coming that shows all ones he switched and ill post that on my thread, but which ones according to that diagram on that thread i linked do i choose?! high beam relay or horn? i want to make sure they are the same voltage

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
high beam and horn use the same sort of relay, either one will do for your test i would use the high beam because thats the one most have tested with. does your relay rattle if you shake it?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
good luck

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I switched them, going out for a drive now. and didnt even check if it rattled.
If that doesn't work, I didn't see anyone mention the FPR hose. I had symptoms exactly like yours and the damn thing had popped off. That's what it sounds like. Zip tie it if you haven't already.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Ok that makes me more comfortable, and i have everything to log, but cant! all my pins are bent up in my port... Ill try to bend them down tonight or tomorrow. as for the fuel pump, i have some ID 1000cc injectors sitting here and ill most likely just go with aftermarktet so i can run E85 then. Thanks though for the offer man. What fuel pump did you end up going with?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1pyGaiihM&feature=youtu.be
Here is vid with AFR's very hard to see, go 720p and full screen makes it easier
I use the Walbro 255, it's tried and true, has been around for a long time, and supports very good power on 93 (what I run). Unless you're going to do a big turbo build on E-85 I think it should suffice. I believe it's good to around 450whp on E-85 (so Fp-Green / Ef2 + E-85 would cap the 255 out). I may be wrong on those numbers, they're coming off the top of my head.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
If that doesn't work, I didn't see anyone mention the FPR hose. I had symptoms exactly like yours and the damn thing had popped off. That's what it sounds like. Zip tie it if you haven't already.
Haha good point, it was so obvious I didn't even think to ask :p Though he did mention he checked "all the hoses", I hope the FPR was included in that bunch.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Slightly OT, but one of my new blue relays from the relay pack I got from SSP rattles a bit like the cover is loose on it.

Is that the same rattle people talk about? In this case, if I hold it so that both the blue cover and the metal prongs have tension, it is silent. Is it there's still a rattle inside it that you should be concerned that it is bad?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts