·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As titile says.

$600 AMS CAI
$280 AEM closed intake box
$200-300 other short ram intake

I already have a Cobb AP. Currently have stock intake.
For the Houston scorching HOT weather and humidity, literally 8 or even 9 months of the year the temperature here is above 90 degrees farenheit.

My car is a DD. I need an intake BAD. I need an intake that wont give me any heat soak so I am thinking of going AMS CAI or AEM Intake Box.

I want the whoooosh sound of an intake and AEM doens't do that much. I've heard that AEM isn't that good for tuning but Cobb AP has made a OTS map just for AEM so i think it couldn't hurt much.

AMS CAI requires removal of bumper each time to clean it. Quite a Pain. sigh. help.

The car will be a future track car. maybe after like 4 years. lol.

- johnny

need help deciding.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
AFE Stage 2 intake or K&N intake. Both include nice heatshields that utilize the stock snorkel and retain the stock MAF housing. I personally have the AFE and it's been flawless for me during the Texas summers.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As titile says.

I already have a Cobb AP. Currently have stock intake.
For the Houston scorching HOT weather and humidity, literally 8 or even 9 months of the year the temperature here is above 90 degrees farenheit.

My car is a DD. I need an intake BAD. I need an intake that wont give me any heat soak so I am thinking of going AMS CAI or AEM Intake Box.
hot weather = crappy.

If your rolling OTS map i would stick to somthing that the OTS map will support.

I want the whoooosh sound of an intake and AEM doens't do that much. I've heard that AEM isn't that good for tuning but Cobb AP has made a OTS map just for AEM so i think it couldn't hurt much.
AEM has plenty of Whoosh.
havent seen any issue with the AEM intake and tuning

AMS CAI requires removal of bumper each time to clean it. Quite a Pain. sigh. help.

The car will be a future track car. maybe after like 4 years. lol.

- johnny

need help deciding.
get ramed air instead if that what your worried about.

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You remove the bumper to clean the CAI filter once a year at most. I voted AMS CAI because I love mine, haven't had a single problem yet (and it is loud as shit, which is a pretty cool added bonus lol)
I like loud. Once a year only? man I can do once a year all day long.

hot weather = crappy.

If your rolling OTS map i would stick to somthing that the OTS map will support.

AEM has plenty of Whoosh.
havent seen any issue with the AEM intake and tuning

get ramed air instead if that what your worried about.
AEM has plenty of whoosh too? i can dig that ALOT. but although i sure not as loud as AMS.

BUT AMS CAI cost $600. and AEM cost $280. LOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Do you really have to remove the whole bumper just to clean the AMS CAI? I have the SpeedCircuit CAI and I just have to remove a few pegs from the wheel well. I then have enough space to get both hands in there to loosen the clamp and get the filter off and through the wheel well.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Nope, just a fanboy. :shades:

PS: I once had a horrible experience shortly after installing the CAI. It flooded like crazy all over Chicago and I stayed at a hotel that night. The parking lot flooded overnight and in the morning, I had a few codes thrown and my car ran like shit. Boost would cut out as soon as I hit maybe 1psi, and there was like a whizzy whirly sound of the turbo spooling and doing nothing. Could hear it very pronounced because it would only let it spool and produce no boost.

I got really scared and garaged the car for 2 weeks and drove my beater. Checked all codes and it had to do with the primary (downpipe) O2 sensor and timing issues. Drove the car 2 weeks later after doing nothing, codes still there, and after 1 day of driving everything went back to perfectly fine and haven't had an issue since.

I chalked it up as wet O2 sensor, haven't had a single problem since! So it will cause slight uneasiness, but it's been a trooper. Not a single MAF issue or ingesting water issue, nothin.

Now I will say I won't ford a river in the middle of the street knowing I have this intake. I will turn right the fuck around and find a new route... but the one day I ran into that issue, my friend was over and I drove her POS Pontiac instead.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you really have to remove the whole bumper just to clean the AMS CAI? I have the SpeedCircuit CAI and I just have to remove a few pegs from the wheel well. I then have enough space to get both hands in there to loosen the clamp and get the filter off and through the wheel well.
+1 i also reinstalled my speedcircuit cai, and no bumper removal. just the undertray. i did make a custom shield for the backing of it though, because water had a habit of kicking through the vents of the wheel well in front of the tire. after i put that aluminum shield on their, i've had no problems

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.