Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Intake for Houston 100 degree HOT weather 9months/year

• AMS CAI Extension to bumper

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • AEM intake box

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Any regular short ram intake

Votes: 7 25.9%

Need Help Deciding on Intake for Houston HOT weather. 100degrees 9months of the year

5K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Kracka 
#1 · (Edited)
As titile says.

$600 AMS CAI
$280 AEM closed intake box
$200-300 other short ram intake

I already have a Cobb AP. Currently have stock intake.
For the Houston scorching HOT weather and humidity, literally 8 or even 9 months of the year the temperature here is above 90 degrees farenheit.

My car is a DD. I need an intake BAD. I need an intake that wont give me any heat soak so I am thinking of going AMS CAI or AEM Intake Box.

I want the whoooosh sound of an intake and AEM doens't do that much. I've heard that AEM isn't that good for tuning but Cobb AP has made a OTS map just for AEM so i think it couldn't hurt much.

AMS CAI requires removal of bumper each time to clean it. Quite a Pain. sigh. help.

The car will be a future track car. maybe after like 4 years. lol.

- johnny

need help deciding.

See less See more
#4 ·
As titile says.

I already have a Cobb AP. Currently have stock intake.
For the Houston scorching HOT weather and humidity, literally 8 or even 9 months of the year the temperature here is above 90 degrees farenheit.

My car is a DD. I need an intake BAD. I need an intake that wont give me any heat soak so I am thinking of going AMS CAI or AEM Intake Box.
hot weather = crappy.

If your rolling OTS map i would stick to somthing that the OTS map will support.

I want the whoooosh sound of an intake and AEM doens't do that much. I've heard that AEM isn't that good for tuning but Cobb AP has made a OTS map just for AEM so i think it couldn't hurt much.
AEM has plenty of Whoosh.
havent seen any issue with the AEM intake and tuning

AMS CAI requires removal of bumper each time to clean it. Quite a Pain. sigh. help.

The car will be a future track car. maybe after like 4 years. lol.

- johnny

need help deciding.
get ramed air instead if that what your worried about.

#9 ·
I like loud. Once a year only? man I can do once a year all day long.

hot weather = crappy.

If your rolling OTS map i would stick to somthing that the OTS map will support.

AEM has plenty of Whoosh.
havent seen any issue with the AEM intake and tuning

get ramed air instead if that what your worried about.
AEM has plenty of whoosh too? i can dig that ALOT. but although i sure not as loud as AMS.

BUT AMS CAI cost $600. and AEM cost $280. LOLOLOLOL

#10 ·
Do you really have to remove the whole bumper just to clean the AMS CAI? I have the SpeedCircuit CAI and I just have to remove a few pegs from the wheel well. I then have enough space to get both hands in there to loosen the clamp and get the filter off and through the wheel well.

#19 ·
+1 i also reinstalled my speedcircuit cai, and no bumper removal. just the undertray. i did make a custom shield for the backing of it though, because water had a habit of kicking through the vents of the wheel well in front of the tire. after i put that aluminum shield on their, i've had no problems

#18 · (Edited)
Nope, just a fanboy. :shades:

PS: I once had a horrible experience shortly after installing the CAI. It flooded like crazy all over Chicago and I stayed at a hotel that night. The parking lot flooded overnight and in the morning, I had a few codes thrown and my car ran like shit. Boost would cut out as soon as I hit maybe 1psi, and there was like a whizzy whirly sound of the turbo spooling and doing nothing. Could hear it very pronounced because it would only let it spool and produce no boost.

I got really scared and garaged the car for 2 weeks and drove my beater. Checked all codes and it had to do with the primary (downpipe) O2 sensor and timing issues. Drove the car 2 weeks later after doing nothing, codes still there, and after 1 day of driving everything went back to perfectly fine and haven't had an issue since.

I chalked it up as wet O2 sensor, haven't had a single problem since! So it will cause slight uneasiness, but it's been a trooper. Not a single MAF issue or ingesting water issue, nothin.

Now I will say I won't ford a river in the middle of the street knowing I have this intake. I will turn right the fuck around and find a new route... but the one day I ran into that issue, my friend was over and I drove her POS Pontiac instead.

#22 ·
Looks like AEM it is. You guys really got to believe that when I say Houston, being the south of the already hot texas, is hot. Houston is consistently HOT. The sun beams onto the dessert flat houston concrete floors, reflecting all heat back up. It feels like 120 degrees out here. Short ram intakes in houston is NOT even an option at this point.

#23 ·
Looks like AEM it is. You guys really got to believe that when I say Houston, being the south of the already hot texas, is hot. Houston is consistently HOT. The sun beams onto the dessert flat houston concrete floors, reflecting all heat back up. It feels like 120 degrees out here. Short ram intakes in houston is NOT even an option at this point.
Whatever works best for your enviromnet I guess! I've had no problems with the Injen cold air (more like a ram I suppose). But with the heatshield installed with the metal hood vent removed, it's very tucked away to the side and I never had any issues. AEM is also a good choice, but you won't hear it as much as open element :)

#25 ·
finally decided on going with ETS short ram with a custom snorkel build. this takes the most work but will have the most reward. most fun. best sound. just as much gains. will post an update of the custom snorkel build process.
thought about making a snorkel for the aem box but found it easier to make a shield for my agp. looking forward to what you can come up with for it

#27 ·
i drive all summer and track with teh cobb intake. A box is not necessary for daily nor amateur track days. Just get whatever you want. Although in Houston I'd beware a CAI since it floods all the dang time.

I live in Austin and track in the summer. Any heat soak issues are unlikely even if you're stuck in traffic. Your car would have to be on fire.

wow thanks for the info man. good to know. your input helps a lot. trust me.

#28 · (Edited)
My vote is the AMS with the extension... All the turbo/supercharged vehicles I have built have always benefited from true cold air intake with the filter completely out of the engine bay. I am even considering selling my Password JDM Intake as it has turbulence issues at high RPM, putting in an SSP front mount transmission cooler so I can get rid of the OEM one and put the AMS cold air intake on

An AEM one might not be to bad either but still wouldn't be as good as a true Cold Air intake... After my experiences with the Password JDM box intake I would just stick to a basic tube and filter

#32 ·
ANY open-element intake will heat-soak, and it's a real issue. whether you personally can notice the power loss/fuel trim adjustment is personal, but every intake will get hot. I'm fortunate enough to monitor my air temps 99% of the time with my tablet PC

AEM is one of the few with actual good design to it imo. one of the only that SSP recommends, and Eric@SSP is extremely picky. Only intake they even keep in-stock, on-site.

but even with the AEM intake, you can experience heat-soak. I don't see a reason to run open-element SRI - both because of heat soak and the sound gets old and feels ricer after a few months;

#34 ·
Perrin makes a very nice intercooler; I personally prefer it over the ETS designs since it uses cast end-tanks rather than welded sheet metal. I helped install a Perrin on a local's car and fitment was perfect; just like the Perrin FMIC I had on my IX. ETS makes a quality FMIC too, don't get me wrong, I'm just a stickler for cast end-tanks for multiple reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.