Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to smell burnt oil while driving theres no lights on the dash. I jacked up the car and found oil on the bottom half of my downpipe no oil on top half. Boost and a/f look fine. Car was slightly down on oil. What could be the problem car was driving fine but I just kept smelling burnt oil in the cabin so i checked under the car and thats when i found it

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This isn't relevant to the Evo, but I had a turbo car where the oil fitting for the oil supply on the top of the turbo center housing starting leaking.

I never smelled burning oil, just got back from making a beer run with a roommate and the idiot light came on, and the rod knock was there before I could shut it down.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
have a look at the oil feed line running from the block to the turbo. Thats in that area near the DP dude. Get a torch for a better look.

if that looks ok? I would then remove the heat shield and get a good look at your turbo.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i got it looked at by my mechanic the oil is leaking from the transfer case must be the dreaded diff pins but car is running fine no weird noises or anything I wouldnt even know that something is wrong if I didnt smell the burnt oil?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
seems like the breather port on your transfer case breathed out some fluid. This is due to an excess amount of fluid in the transfer case. This isnt because you overfilled it, but rather that the seal went out between the transmission and transfer case, allowing for a transfer of fluid from the first to the second.

Its a warranty item, which i had warrantied without issue.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
The diff pins are inside the transmission housing, not the transfer case...

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
edit: didn't read it all.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mechanic didnt know exactly what was wrong with it he thinks there is something gone inside the transfer case. But If there was wudnt the car be undriveable or noticeable that something was wrong I'm hoping it's just a bad seal there's only 10k on the car and the parts in my sig have only been on for 3k :'(

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and it was transmission fluid leaking not engine oil

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Get this to the dealer immediately. This is a known issue with some of the 2011's and I believe perhaps some of the 2010s. It is from the transfer case and is an easy fix. I would recommend using Mitsu to get it towed - flatbed - for free. It is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys think its just the seal? My mechanic things its something wrong in the tcase I just drove it home from my mechanic and still drives fine i have to drive it about 30 miles to the dealer in NJ

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
a mechanical problem inside the transfer case wouldn't translate into a leak normally (especially with the car driving normally). It's likely to be a seal issue that the dealer should cover for you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a mechanical problem inside the transfer case wouldn't translate into a leak normally (especially with the car driving normally). It's likely to be a seal issue that the dealer should cover for you.
thank God

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
thank God
Yes, Id be hard pressed to find out that it isnt just the seal. They will give you an all new transfer case since the seal is not sold independently.

You should have no problem driving it to the dealership and with whatever driving you need to do. As long as you dont go on 100 mile road trips, you should be fine.

All, this is not a known issue just for 2011's and 2010's, its an issue for all years. My 2008 had it and many other 2008's have had it here in so. cal.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah i was thinking that if it was anything more than the seal that the car wouldnt drive properly like Id here a whine or there would be a light on the dash something everything seems fine other than the oil leak hopefully the dealership wont be dicks about my mods car is only tuned for 340hp shouldnt cause the t case to blow with only 3k miles with the parts on it. I dont even launch the car I have done rolling pulls in first gear alot though

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im bringing the car to the dealership today for them to look over the car hopefully they will warranty my transfer case. They said if they do warranty it that i will have to put my cat back on will this effect my tune?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
They said if they do warranty it that i will have to put my cat back on will this effect my tune?
Doubt it, just don't go ballz out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts