Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need assistance I’ve tried all my options. water pump was leaking from the weeping hole , I’ve replaced the pump , and tried to bleed the air out of the system , but it has excessive bubbling and also noticed the top radiator hose was popping on idle . Replaced the thermostat thinking it was not opening , concern is still there , I’ve done compression test 2 cylinders are at 125 while the other 2 are at 150 . Performed cylinder leakage test and all passed . I also did a cool and pressure test and did not loose pressure within 45 minutes. I have removed all the hoses , cleaned the radiator , put water in block to make sure there was no clog . If you have any ideas with what the problem is please let me know .

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did you have any overheating or other symptoms before you replaced the water pump or was it just leaking? If you just started having symptoms after replacement, it could just be excessive air in the cooling system. If you were having head gasket symptoms before, I would suggest getting a combustion gas detection kit as it will be more conclusive than the pressure test.

·
Registered
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
14 Posts
Agree with above. If your hose is popping off the pressure in the system has to be pretty high. Even if the thermostat was stuck closed it shouldn't cause high pressure like that as coolant would simply go through the bypass system like it would on normal thermostat closed operation before the engine got to operating temp. Just weird that it passed a leak down test and pressure test. We're the tests done when the engine was hot or cold?

·
Registered
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
14 Posts
All the test were done while the engine was warm , could not do a combustion test because of it pressuring and getting coolant into the tool . And no I had none of these symptoms before I changed the water pump.
Is the new pump still on? Swap back to the old pump. If the only variable was the pump you can at least rule out that the new pump is somehow the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts