Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to change my timing chain and I have the old one off but I cannot figure out how to put the new one on. The old chain is different from the new one, the old has two blue links and one brown the new one has 3 spectate bronze links along with 4 bronze in a row. I can't get the new chain to line up with all the marks and I'm wondering if I might be missing something? Anyone have any advice or tips?

3/13/14 update

I had to leave this alone for a few day because on Sunday the tensioner guide broke on me so I've been waiting for a new one, which will hopefully be here by the end of the day so now I'm trying again. I realized that my engine isn't at tdc now and the crank got turned when the chain wasn't on the cams. Is this a big deal? Or can I just rotate each to their correct position without throwing anything off? If not, anyone have any advice on what I should do next?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sorry I don't know about link alignment, but once you get the problem solved and all put back together, can you give a commentary on the difficulty of this project? I'll be doing it on of these days.

Also can you let us know where you got parts and your cost?

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
since I just did this a few days ago. assuming that the engine is lined up TDC, cams as well, the alignment dots should look like this

close up

crank dot is hard to see in the pic, but its there

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
to align the cams, they need to face each other, aligning with the top of the head

please be careful when rotating the cams/ crank to tdc if there is no timing chain, or the timing chain was installed incorrectly, damage to valves and pistons may occur. I suggest removing all the spark plugs so you have very little compression, if any, and the rotating assembly rotates freely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts