Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
How well the car stops is totally unrelated to how worn the friction material may be.
Yeah, but once you are scraping metal on metal, friction material is fully worn, brake performance suffers, no?

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Yeah, but once you are scraping metal on metal, friction material is fully worn, brake performance suffers, no?
True - but that's not "worn" - that's totally gone and probably very close to piston(s) coming out. And it would be making REALLY LOUD noises way before that point.

Worn would be between sat 100% (new pads) and where the wear indicator tab (~20% remaining_ makes contact and lots of noise - or just below the minimum of about 5%. If the wear level is less than zero, then that's not really worn, No? More like totally gone and beyond dangerous.

In any case the first stop with 95% remaining will be the same as with 5% remaining. You just can't tell without removing wheels and looking/measuring. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds to me like it could still be the pads. Even if they're not completely worn, could be the warning tab indicator sound you're hearing. With that many miles on it, it wouldn't hurt to pre-empt it anyway, in my opinion. Can only drive as fast as you can stop, you know?

·
Registered
17 Posts
ive run into this myself, dealer said it was normal, so as usual i ignored them and took out all my pads, sanded all of the edges just a little with 120 grit to get rid of any slightly jagged edges, then sanded them a little on a flat surface to the flat of the pad material. drove around for a little bid doing a bedding procedure and it was dead quiet for 20k miles.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts