Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a lot of complains regarding clunk/popping noises after few hours of searching and reading yesterday. but none of them gives me real solution.
i tried many things in order to find out where this noise comes from in the past few months and here are some details about my car and thoughts:

08 MR DD only. 25k now. running strong, SST works fine. checked all fluids frequently, no problem at all.

@15k miles swift sport springs installed. works fine, no noise.

@22k miles front brake pads changed to hawk HPS
few weeks later found this clunk noise at low speed after driving a while.(once it happens, no matter going straight or turning, bumps or no bumps, can still hear it at low speed. i think it also happens at high speed just i cant hear it clearly because the exhaust is louder. but it wont happen again after the car stop and cool down for 30 minutes.)

- it sounds like from front end passenger side, it gets worse in hot weather. almost not happen in low temp outside or the noise is very light.

- seems like the noise is coming if the car stops for few times, and stop hard.

base on above, i know it gotta be something related to thermal expansion and contraction, and most likely the front passenger side brake rotor. so here i took a picture of it and found the scratches/lines:

which not seen in the driver's side rotor:

im almost 95% positive it gotta be something wrong with the brake system on the passenger side but what does not make sense to me is, these scratches/lines should not cause clunk noise. some body please help me out here.

- should i get new rotors to see what happen? and which rotors?
- should i replace the pad which basically brand new? and which pads?
- what else do i need to do to diagnose this problem?

i hope its not the axle or transmission. but i dont care how much i need to spend to get rid of this noise, i just want it gone forever !

thanks!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
its your struts because of the springs

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i gave a heavy thought about that, looked around online and asked couple shops, they said it had something to do with metal expansion.. that very makes sense to the rotor but the struts... also it seems like has nothing to do with the bumps... is there a better way to test/try if it comes from the struts?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm sticking with my diagnosis, I've seen it on several Xs with different springs. But I can't argue if you're shop already ruled it out.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i have swifts with the bilsteins i got from you and i have zero noises whatsoever.

i have read about clunking noises but to my recollection none with the swift sport the spec r is different though as i have read quite a few. from readings here, its when the springs drops are "huge" does this tend to happen and this is why i went with the swift sport

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
how long have you have lugs on for? are they torqued? if so what to or hand tightened? is the sound constant or come and go? lugs aluminum?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i have swifts with the bilsteins i got from you and i have zero noises whatsoever.

i have read about clunking noises but to my recollection none with the swift sport the spec r is different though as i have read quite a few. from readings here, its when the springs drops are "huge" does this tend to happen and this is why i went with the swift sport
That's because they were my blisteins tho. :dancebanana:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how long have you have lugs on for? are they torqued? if so what to or hand tightened? is the sound constant or come and go? lugs aluminum?
i had these lugs since i changed the wheels, about 5k miles so far. they were done in the shop, they use air gun. not sure about the material of these lugs but they should be some high quality lugs. i will check if the rotor in good shape or not, i got your point here, if they are not torqued evenly, the rotor might be warped or something.

it only happens after driving in local (stop and go, traffics) for an hour or so. if i keep driving, it gets worse. couple days ago it was over 100 degree outside and i was driving around for couple hours in the city, the clunk noise got very bad, as long as the wheels pin, low or high speed, you can hear it clearly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with the issue being the Strut. I have the Eibach springs on my X and had the same exact noise coming from the front right for almost 2 years. Weird clunking, like metal on metal, only at low speeds. Noise seemed to come and go but recently got progressively worse. Replaced the strut and the noise is gone. One thing I did notice though that helped me narrow down the fact that it was the strut was that it would not make any noise if I turned the car to the left. I think this is because the right strut is being compressed when turning left so there was no up and down strut movement. Anyway, try doing that as a test to see if you have the same issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts