Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I'm planning on upgrading my stock turbo. I'm thinking of getting MHI 18K together with few more bolt-ons like intercooler, downpipe and gauges. My Boss (wife) only gave me permission to spend maximum of $4K labor/retune included. LOL :) If my budget won't be enough for these upgrades, I might just get coilovers and new wheels....

My question is, will my current mods work with upgrade plan? or do I have to upgrade my current Injectors, pump, etc.?

My current mods are:
K&N DROP-IN FILTER
AMS UICP
MXP TEST PIPE
GS 3 PORT SOLENOID
E85 FLEX CONVERTER
WALBRO 255LPH
FIC 1100 INJECTORS
BLAQ OPS FUEL PUMP KIT
NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS
HKS HI-POWER DUAL EXHAUST
T U N E D

Other recommendations on how I will get the best bang for my buck are very welcome!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, a tune is probably around $500..
Intercooler- $650
Downpipe- $450
Turbo- $1800

So that doesn't leave a ton of room for gauges.. But it's possible. But with E85, you might have to run bigger injectors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, a tune is probably around $500..
Intercooler- $650
Downpipe- $450
Turbo- $1800

So that doesn't leave a ton of room for gauges.. But it's possible. But with E85, you might have to run bigger injectors.
Thanks! Yeah I figured :( plus installation labor. I can install the intercooler myself but not the turbo and downpipe.

Maybe ill skip the intercooler.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Buy you intercooler 2nd hand, or when they have a sale.

Same with the downpipe

I don't see that with your cuurent mods, you couldn't keep the new mod budget under 4k. You've already purchased a lot, and if she is willing to allow you another 4k, I think its do-able. If you plan to do e85/flex fuel, I would recommend a minimum 1200cc injectors. You will also need the flex fuel sensor setup as well, plug and play kits are approx 400

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also an Intake, mhi comes with a 3"outlet not sure if the stock intake would work
Bigger injectors, u will be at the limit if on e85
Like he 👆 sed, used downpipe and intercooler

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy you intercooler 2nd hand, or when they have a sale.

Same with the downpipe

I don't see that with your cuurent mods, you couldn't keep the new mod budget under 4k. You've already purchased a lot, and if she is willing to allow you another 4k, I think its do-able. If you plan to do e85/flex fuel, I would recommend a minimum 1200cc injectors. You will also need the flex fuel sensor setup as well, plug and play kits are approx 400
Thanks! Yes i thinks its a good idea to look for a used but good condition IC and DP. Im already on flex fuel and uses e85 80% of the time. E85 is just 9 mins away from home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also an Intake, mhi comes with a 3"outlet not sure if the stock intake would work
Bigger injectors, u will be at the limit if on e85
Like he 👆 sed, used downpipe and intercooler
Thanks! You guys been helpful(y)

My goal someday is to reach 450~480 WHP on mustang. Is the MHI sufficient for that target? Or save up to get bigger turbo? If so, which one?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like the others said you should get bigger injectors for e85. As for the IC and DP I was on a tight budget and got a Depo IC(350$) and DP(180$). Haven't had any problems at around 500whp(dynojet) as of yet granted that I haven't taken the car to the circuit yet. Used good quality parts is also a good option like the others mentioned.

I'd also get a bigger turbo for 450-480 on a mustang. Maybe go for TPC GT or GT-R spec turbos since they can make over 500 on a mustang comfortably with e85.

Though if I were to do it again I would probably save for an EFR turbo kit(EFR 8474 or 9274) since you will always want more power down the line;), they also spool really quick for the power they make. IF you build your block you can at least keep the EFR and make 700+ easily, but if you don't intend to go further I'd try the TPC turbos. Xona rotor turbos seem to be getting popular as well.

If you have another car maybe try doing the labor yourself? It will be a good learning experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the others said you should get bigger injectors for e85. As for the IC and DP I was on a tight budget and got a Depo IC(350$) and DP(180$). Haven't had any problems at around 500whp(dynojet) as of yet granted that I haven't taken the car to the circuit yet. Used good quality parts is also a good option like the others mentioned.

I'd also get a bigger turbo for 450-480 on a mustang. Maybe go for TPC GT or GT-R spec turbos since they can make over 500 on a mustang comfortably with e85.

Though if I were to do it again I would probably save for an EFR turbo kit(EFR 8474 or 9274) since you will always want more power down the line;), they also spool really quick for the power they make. IF you build your block you can at least keep the EFR and make 700+ easily, but if you don't intend to go further I'd try the TPC turbos. Xona rotor turbos seem to be getting popular as well.

If you have another car maybe try doing the labor yourself? It will be a good learning experience.
Wow thanks for the advice. I've been looking online for used parts but can't seem to find anyone selling near me.(Campbell, CA). Ill look into those turbos you recommended. I would really try installing those mods if i can. Issue is currently, i dont have a garage/driveway:cry:. Based on everyone's input, ill upgrade my injectors.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks! You guys been helpful(y)

My goal someday is to reach 450~480 WHP on mustang. Is the MHI sufficient for that target? Or save up to get bigger turbo? If so, which one?
440-450 is the max you'll see on the mhi, on a true mustang dyno
Here's my order of best street turbos(price wise) for stock block
Mhi
Gtx3576r
Efr turbo kit

·
Registered
296 Posts

Ohlins are the best if you can swing it..

·
Registered
122 Posts

Ohlins are the best if you can swing it..
Agreed i was almost tempted to going with ohlins

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow! I checked the price of Ohlins. $2500! I think ill just go with BC or FA.... Not planning on going to track all the time. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year. :) If I get a good deal on turbo, I might also just consider lowering springs for now until I have enough $$$$ for a good coilovers. My stock height's kinda starting to hurt my eyes! LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you don't track it much you could look into H&R, Greddy x KW, HKS, etc coilovers. They bridge the gap between the Ohlins and have significantly better ride than BC or FA coilovers. You could also wait for used Ohlins to pop up. I remember some popped up on the Evo X facebook page last month or something.

Lowering springs work too, but it will act kind of funny without revalved shocks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
OP, my X is my daily. i dont plan on tracking my car either but handling is important to me so the DSG package fits the bill for me. like i said for 400 more it comes with FA500's with upgrade 9k/9k SWIFT spring rates, whiteline front/rear sway bars, whitelines front/rear endlinks, whiteline adjustable toe arms and whiteline roll centering kit.

If you want affordable i would say Apexi N1 ExV coilovers. There's someone on this forum that by the name of Razorlab, very knowledgeable guy knows his stuff, and he recommended these to me as a budget coilover setup. These are 8k/8k i believe. This is what he had on his X before he went on to ohlins. He posted better lap times with Apexi's compared to KW's with the setups that come out of the box. Just another option. this can be had for less than 1k

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you don't track it much you could look into H&R, Greddy x KW, HKS, etc coilovers. They bridge the gap between the Ohlins and have significantly better ride than BC or FA coilovers. You could also wait for used Ohlins to pop up. I remember some popped up on the Evo X facebook page last month or something.

Lowering springs work too, but it will act kind of funny without revalved shocks.
Yeah I check facebook market and craigslist hundred times a day LOL! Not planning on using lowering springs permanently. Just until I have budget to get good coils. ill also get 15 or 20mm spacers, while waiting until I find a wheel that i like.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts