Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
If giving it more throttle @ the start keeps it from dying, then it sounds more like too much fuel initially. Should be able to get that right once the real tune is in there. Wouldn't think its from the cams. I had the same thing until tune was worked out.
I have to floor it when cranking it over to get it turned on, especially on cold start ups. It's like a dirt bike/quad that you have to give it some gas when starting it. I think it's the MAF actually

·
Registered
62 Posts
If giving it more throttle @ the start keeps it from dying, then it sounds more like too much fuel initially. Should be able to get that right once the real tune is in there. Wouldn't think its from the cams. I had the same thing until tune was worked out.
Any updates?

I have to floor it when cranking it over to get it turned on, especially on cold start ups. It's like a dirt bike/quad that you have to give it some gas when starting it. I think it's the MAF actually

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
I just hit 1k miles over the weekend so break in is done. Hopefully I can get a tune soon!

One thing I did want to mention about Driven Fab

So I ordered the driven fab flexfuel kit, I ordered it on Tuesday, got 2-day shipping and I kept looking for tracking information saying it shipped because I thought my tuner was gonna squeeze me in over the weekend since he's leaving for vaca for a week. Thursday I still didn't see anything about it being shipped so now I'm getting worried. I called Driven Fab multiple times and left a message the last time I called them and told them my situation and all. I never got a call back but later that night I got tracking info and it was over night delivered by 12pm shipped and I received it Friday morning. I am very happy with and and really felt cared about as a customer. Not all companies will do that, it'll just be too bad for the customer. Thank you Driven Fab!

Here's some pics of the car, Ft my beautiful little helper

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad to hear your up and running well. Do you have any tune on it at all to get it to run with everything you added?

Good to hear about Driven Fab. I ordered my 8374 kit from them as they were the only ones that offered internal wg with 3.5" downpipe. We are coming up on 6 weeks so hopefully it will be here soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Glad to hear your up and running well. Do you have any tune on it at all to get it to run with everything you added?

Good to hear about Driven Fab. I ordered my 8374 kit from them as they were the only ones that offered internal wg with 3.5" downpipe. We are coming up on 6 weeks so hopefully it will be here soon.
No unfortunately nothing is installed and he won't be able to get to me before he leaves...probably within the next 3 weeks. Don't be surprised when it takes double the time to get your parts, then take forever to get your tuner to install and tune and stuff. Seems like in the car world being weeks, months late is just normal and to be expected...I'm in the wrong business lol.

I've been running on just a crappy break in tune, the MAF is not dialed in and it revs erratically when it's cold, it makes me look like a D-bag revving his car when at idle. It's revved to like 5500rpm one time Idk how when my rev limter is lower than that but I was so embarrassed.

We're going on 9 months since I dropped off the car, and it's still not 100% done and still have not been able to hit boost, only little tastes. Be prepared to wait 6 months for your build buddy :/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you sure it's safe to drive with your current tune? You can be lean even not in boost which wouldn't be good. Do you have a wideband?

Unfortunately it seems in the EVO world some shops and vendors make promises they can't keep regarding build times. I am not sure if it is an EVO specific thing or not.

I did have great communication and prompt service/ delivery from WTF tuned and just got my parts I ordered from them on the weekend ( injectors, fuel pump, clutch etc).

I do my own install so I only have myself to blame if it takes longer than expected. Tuning I will leave to the professionals though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My friends evo has been at DF for almost a year for a pretty simple motor build :/ Their products are good stuff but probably one of the worst ran companies for communication and organization I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can’t wait to see the results, I just got 8374 kits from CBRD a couple weeks ago and it beautiful, just seat in my garage collecting dust right now lol, not even planning on install it anytime soon , I may sell it Lol I do love your build though, keep us updated

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Basically the car made 455whp / 324tq @ 26PSI on 93 and 604whp /454tq @ 32PSI on pump e85 (65% according to my gauge) But he said I was running out of fuel and would need a aftermarket fuel rail and regulator. So he put that on order and conservatively tuned it lower ( we guessed 550whp, maybe less) and let me drive it around until I'd go back to get the rest done. So 2 weeks later I was driving and I started to hear a ticking sound... I pulled over and realized something went, it sounded like rod knock. So I brought it back to him June 24th and it's been in his shop since. He drained the oil and said that based on that he didn't see any metal shavings, only copper, he said my rod (King) bearings went. He said the rest of the motor is good though. He is going to fix it under his promise to warranty the build. He said the reason why it went was because they didn't balance the crank so gradually over time it wore the bearings down. I talked to him last Friday and told him that he needs to start on my car cause I've seen it sit in the same spot in his shop for 2 months now. He told me he'll start working on it this week and pull the motor out and put a BRAND NEW crank this time. He only has 1 employee right now (his evo machanic moved to FL 6 months ago and he hasn't found a replacement) and that employee only works on subarus for the most part and then he is the only working on the evos so he's very far behind with everyone's cars so he apologized for the long wait, he is looking for 2 more mechanics now. As of now I still haven't seen my car move from it's spot yet but lets just hope it gets done soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Basically the car made 455whp / 324tq @ 26PSI on 93 and 604whp /454tq @ 32PSI on pump e85 (65% according to my gauge) But he said I was running out of fuel and would need a aftermarket fuel rail and regulator. So he put that on order and conservatively tuned it lower ( we guessed 550whp, maybe less) and let me drive it around until I'd go back to get the rest done. So 2 weeks later I was driving and I started to hear a ticking sound... I pulled over and realized something went, it sounded like rod knock. So I brought it back to him June 24th and it's been in his shop since. He drained the oil and said that based on that he didn't see any metal shavings, only copper, he said my rod (King) bearings went. He said the rest of the motor is good though. He is going to fix it under his promise to warranty the build. He said the reason why it went was because they didn't balance the crank so gradually over time it wore the bearings down. I talked to him last Friday and told him that he needs to start on my car cause I've seen it sit in the same spot in his shop for 2 months now. He told me he'll start working on it this week and pull the motor out and put a BRAND NEW crank this time. He only has 1 employee right now (his evo machanic moved to FL 6 months ago and he hasn't found a replacement) and that employee only works on subarus for the most part and then he is the only working on the evos so he's very far behind with everyone's cars so he apologized for the long wait, he is looking for 2 more mechanics now. As of now I still haven't seen my car move from it's spot yet but lets just hope it gets done soon.
Wow that's some bad luck. Why was the crank not balanced the first time when the motor was built?

It's good they are warrantying the build but still complete BS on the downtime!

The torque seems a little low on the 93 pump numbers no?

Hopefully he will get it back to you soon.

I Finally found some time to work on the car. I have the stock turbo out and ready to pull the tranny.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Wow that's some bad luck. Why was the crank not balanced the first time when the motor was built?

It's good they are warrantying the build but still complete BS on the downtime!

The torque seems a little low on the 93 pump numbers no?

Hopefully he will get it back to you soon.

I Finally found some time to work on the car. I have the stock turbo out and ready to pull the tranny.
Yeah I like the guy personally, we get along well but he is such a procrastinator lol Not having my car all summer has sucked!

Yeah I thought it was a little low but it's a Mustang Dyno so numbers will be lower and it's only 26PSI and on the conservative side.

I haven't been on here since so idk what turbo you got but just for informational purposes the 8374 spooled definitely a lot slower than I was expecting from reading all the posts I found about it. Keep in mind I've never driven a big turbo car before and I'm sure if I got a 62mm size turbo from another brand like PTE it would spool even slower. My tuner says this turbo spools pretty fast though. Anyways I read a lot of posts saying it spools up at 4500rpm...one post even posted a dyno graph and said it hit full boost at 4200rpm! Well idk if it's just me but I feel like the turbo might start to "spool" up around 4500/4700rpm, you can hear a little whistle and small BOV sounds but there is no power there (unless in 4th gear) you don't really get that hit of power till at least over 5000rpm but really I wouldn't start a race anything under 5500rpm! So I was expecting to get that slam of power between 4200-4500 after reading all these posts but from my personal real life experience it is more like 5500 for me. Hopefully that could be helpful to someone trying to decide what size EFR to get.

I think if I could go back in time I would get a 7163 and hopefully make 500-500whp and have a fast spooling quick car. But idk if I would like that either because although my car is very fast for the street @ 550whp it felt a lot slower than I was expecting. In my decision to get the 8374 part of it was because I was nervous that getting a 7670 and making 500-600whp wouldn't be as fast as I wanted so I went with a 700whp turbo and for that I'm happy I did cause after my first pull I looked over at my Gf and we both were like that wasn't that bad lol So I'm definitely looking forward to hitting 700 in the near future but the streetability is definitely not as fun, although it keeps me out of trouble most of the time driving with the ocasional pull on a straightaway and also Ive been getting the best MPG ever! I can get like 22 in the city on e85 when I drive normal! 30+ on the highway and 25-30 on 55mph roads

Lmk how it all goes and how that kit fits compared to the Full Race because they had a very hard time withe everything fitting

I don't have any read outs, the car was not done yet. He just gave it to me so I could drive it while we were waiting for parts yo finish it up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I like the guy personally, we get along well but he is such a procrastinator lol Not having my car all summer has sucked!

Yeah I thought it was a little low but it's a Mustang Dyno so numbers will be lower and it's only 26PSI and on the conservative side.

I haven't been on here since so idk what turbo you got but just for informational purposes the 8374 spooled definitely a lot slower than I was expecting from reading all the posts I found about it. Keep in mind I've never driven a big turbo car before and I'm sure if I got a 62mm size turbo from another brand like PTE it would spool even slower. My tuner says this turbo spools pretty fast though. Anyways I read a lot of posts saying it spools up at 4500rpm...one post even posted a dyno graph and said it hit full boost at 4200rpm! Well idk if it's just me but I feel like the turbo might start to "spool" up around 4500/4700rpm, you can hear a little whistle and small BOV sounds but there is no power there (unless in 4th gear) you don't really get that hit of power till at least over 5000rpm but really I wouldn't start a race anything under 5500rpm! So I was expecting to get that slam of power between 4200-4500 after reading all these posts but from my personal real life experience it is more like 5500 for me. Hopefully that could be helpful to someone trying to decide what size EFR to get.

I think if I could go back in time I would get a 7163 and hopefully make 500-500whp and have a fast spooling quick car. But idk if I would like that either because although my car is very fast for the street @ 550whp it felt a lot slower than I was expecting. In my decision to get the 8374 part of it was because I was nervous that getting a 7670 and making 500-600whp wouldn't be as fast as I wanted so I went with a 700whp turbo and for that I'm happy I did cause after my first pull I looked over at my Gf and we both were like that wasn't that bad lol So I'm definitely looking forward to hitting 700 in the near future but the streetability is definitely not as fun, although it keeps me out of trouble most of the time driving with the ocasional pull on a straightaway and also Ive been getting the best MPG ever! I can get like 22 in the city on e85 when I drive normal! 30+ on the highway and 25-30 on 55mph roads

Lmk how it all goes and how that kit fits compared to the Full Race because they had a very hard time withe everything fitting

I don't have any read outs, the car was not done yet. He just gave it to me so I could drive it while we were waiting for parts yo finish it up.
This is why you want to do cams and springs alongside these turbos. Bigger turbos really prefer the top end and the cams/springs bump up your redline.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
This is why you want to do cams and springs alongside these turbos. Bigger turbos really prefer the top end and the cams/springs bump up your redline.
I do have cams. I have GSC2 cams with MAP titanium springs and my rev limit is 8500 rpm

·
Registered
128 Posts
I do have cams. I have GSC2 cams with MAP titanium springs and my rev limit is 8500 rpm
Ahh ok. So you are only seeing the lag out of a dig then right? Otherwise its pretty much in powerband the whole time through shifts? Between 5000ish-8500?

61 - 80 of 105 Posts