Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i just went to the dealer today for warranty and i said to them that my car was making a wierd sound in the wheels. they check it and they said that the sound was because the rear brake pads needs to be change. they give me the price, $350!! for original brembo pads! and a total of $490 installed. i think that was to high in price, so i said no, and i am looking in the internet but i cant find much. i found one in ebay but the problem is that i am actually learning about all this right now and i dont now much about it :iwdumbass:. so i hope some of you guys can help me with this, 1. how do i know wich one is original, 2. where i can buy it for less than $350! 3. buy the original ones or upgrade to something better if any. :duh:
i live in puerto rico and the few shops around here are always over pricing everything! :mad:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The Ferodo DS2500 are basically the same pads that come on the car stock. You can get them on the cheap from MAPerformance.com. They provide decent street manners with decent track performance. If you're happy with them there is no reason to change. If you want a more street friendly pad, or a more track oriented pad, there are a LOT of other options out there. There are a lot of brake pad threads on here, so you could stand to do a little reading.

Changing your rear brakes is not very hard, you can do it yourself or with a friend, there is even a How-To on these boards.

Here you are:

http://www.maperformance.com/ferodo-ds2500-rear-brakes-pads-evo-x-11-fcp4168h-n.html

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Definitly i will do a bit of reading! I am happy with the stock brakes i just want to learn as much as posible before making any changes to my car and because like i said before here is everything over pricing!!!!!!!!!! I just talk about 20 min a go to a client of my gym that work in a dealer and he said that his friend can make a discount for me and give me the stock pads for $300 and installed for $370! Its about $115 less than the mitsu dealer!!! What do you think guys? Is ok or is still high??

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I'd go girodisc or ferodo and save the assload of money left over. Stock pads are going to be crazy expensive because they are an oem part. I also reccomend installing them yourself as it is an easy job and should take less than 2 hours for all 4 which saves you the $35/hr labor charge.

·
Registered
384 Posts
$300 for a set of rear street pads?

That's a lot. Don't waste your money and order some from an online vendor.

Installing is too easy not to do yourself unless you don't have tools or a place to do it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Look into the stoptech brakepads...got my stoptech brake pads from RRE for dirt cheap -total installed for all 4 was like $200 bucks...love these pads more than stock since they don't squeal and respond great to aggressive driving (although I have not tested them on the track yet)...highly recommended...GL!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My x is 100% stock and i am looking for a brakes that perform the same or better than the stock at the best possible price. I use my car as a dd, not really a track guy:-( because i have no time for that. At least for now!! I am a bit afraid of using other than stock parts because people always tell me that other brand pads will make noise when i brake :-/ and stuff like that. So wich brake is better for me? I really need it as soon as possible! Or that is what they tell me!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
hawk or ferodo and consider brake lines too

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went for the Hawk HPS pads. They're pretty good, and dust very little, and last a long time.

They react quite differently than the Brembo's though. Initial bite is a lot less. They don't work great until you're at temp so you're going to have to adjust your braking distance and pressure a little for everyday driving.

But when the going gets tough, and you need stop hard, just apply a lot of pressure and they WILL stop.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Hawk hps are bad. Stay away, there are many others for better value and performance.
Why are they bad? A lot of people in my parts run them and love them.

Upgraded pads, Hell even race pads are cheaper or relatively the same price as the OEM pads. I would look at some EBC or Hawk pads if you are just looking for a nice OEM replacement.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Not feeling the hawk hps'?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
stoptech street performance pads are pretty good. running them on my thrashed X in DD and auto-x. Pretty damn good in all aspects - braking, noise (none), dust (less than OEM from what I can tell).

overall pretty happy with them so far. I'm more annoyed by the tires they're paired with right now. I've just never heard enough 100% satisfaction with Hawk options (either HPS or HP+) to want to go with them

·
Registered
447 Posts
just bought new rear hawk hp+ pads, I've heard good things about them, and they were a great price, $107 with free shipping

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
just bought new rear hawk hp+ pads, I've heard good things about them, and they were a great price, $107 with free shipping
You didn't hear anything good about them because those that run them do NOT DD on them. They will go out way to quickly. AutoX pads generally cannot handle the sustained heat and wear of daily driving.

I know several people that have tried them love them but they change them out for AutoX and change back to stock or equivalent for DD. They are outstanding AutoX pads, they don't require any heat to work properly, they work right out of the gate. Now, keeping that in mind, put the same pad to the test on a 100mph 1000+ft stop...something has to give.

I chose to go with a track pad for DD/AutoX/Track, they are really the only ones that can handle the abuse. They do eat up rotors more for DD and AutoX but rotors are cheap. I have over 23k miles on my stock rotors, with Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads and I DD and AutoX and my rotors are at still 40% life... They squeal like a banshee though for DD and they plant your face without modulation for AutoX...but I kind of like that! :yay:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I went from hawk hp plus to magic pads, magic pads squeak just as bad and dust ALMOST the same with half the bite. I lubed and bedded the pads. Have driven 1500 miles on them, Still squeak bad. Wouldn get them

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, just ordered the stoptech rear pads for $62.40 free shipping. it should be here in puerto rico next week, i cant wait because i am driving my mom oldddd odessey to go to work :freak:. i am happy with the price, i hope will be as happy with the pads performance:amen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.