Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Evo X GSR used from a dealer. Has 26,000 miles on it. owned the car for 20 days and the throw out bearing is making noise. Mitsu wants to do a tear down to check TOB and clutch components. I bought a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty when purchased, but clutches are normal wear and tear like brake pads so arent covered. Extended warranty says they would cover some of the parts probably but before i do that and then get a bill for hundreds of dollars, i am pursuing the selling dealer to fix this for free. Any opinions on who should pay for it or advice for me? Bought used from a chevy dealer.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Throw out bearing at 26k miles... that's a bit too soon. Also, Clutch is a wear item, but TOB that early is kind of a non-wear component.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did the vehicle have one of those Sold As Is or Limited Warranty stickers? Sold as is means you will be on your own for the repair since the dealer isn't liable for anything you find or have issues with after you left the lot with the vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea idk what the previous own did for the TOB to go so soon, thats why I got the extended warranty just incase he messed something up. Also, the dealer told me they provided a 60 day 2000 mile warranty, then i purchased my 3yr,36,000 mile warranty. Im going to the selling dealer monday to see what they say.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
where else am I gonna get an evo? not buying from some chump off craigslist. cant get a warranty on craigslist lol.
I am not sure who is a chump here... :/

If owner of the vehicle on craigslist is knowledgeable, you would have more luck with that guy then a random dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First mistake.
where else am I gonna get an evo? not buying from some chump off craigslist. cant get a warranty on craigslist lol.
Ihave owned a 300z, a 350z, a mazdaspeed 3, a cbr 600, bought my wife a 2011 GTI, found a buddy a s2k, found an evo ix for another friend ALL from Craigslist. ALL are still running flawless. Just requires genuine research and paying for a pre purchase inspection at a third party reputable performance shop EVEN if you’re buying from a dealer ESPECIALLY. Chevy selling a mitsu lol the dealer deff played you BUT no point to cry over spilled milk, figured I’d share my experience.

I’ll tell you what previous owner did, he rode the clutch and dumped it like a Sunday morning dump truck. So your next step needs to be to go to a reputable shop and bite the bullet about installing a new clutch not the same dealer who sold you a beat down clutch to begin with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mitsu 5yr/60k powertrain warranties are only for the first buyer, I asked a mitsu dealer and they said my evo does not have a factory warranty anymore, hence the 3yr/36k warranty i bought from ali auto. Also, the whole point of me saying i wouldnt buy from craigslist is because you cant purchase warranties when you do that. I know evos have problems and I would rather have a warranty so i dont have to dish out money when things break. It is my daily.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Mitsu 5yr/60k powertrain warranties are only for the first buyer, I asked a mitsu dealer and they said my evo does not have a factory warranty anymore, hence the 3yr/36k warranty i bought from ali auto. Also, the whole point of me saying i wouldnt buy from craigslist is because you cant purchase warranties when you do that. I know evos have problems and I would rather have a warranty so i dont have to dish out money when things break. It is my daily.
That is bullshit. A dealer cant tell you if a MANUFACTURERS warranty still applies.

If it was a dealer warranty, yes. But Mitsu issues a powertrain warranty up to a certain date/mileage. So it shouldn't matter who owns the car if they go in for warranty below said date/mileage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5,198 Posts
Mitsu 5yr/60k powertrain warranties are only for the first buyer, I asked a mitsu dealer and they said my evo does not have a factory warranty anymore, hence the 3yr/36k warranty i bought from ali auto. .

That is 100% incorrect. It is fully transferable. You can see it in the warranty books, Mitsubishi's website or if you call Mitsubishi.

The dealer lied or was misinformed. You need to do your own research. I would look into getting a refund for your needless additional warranty you got swindled into purchasing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That is 100% incorrect. It is fully transferable. You can see it in the warranty books, Mitsubishi's website or if you call Mitsubishi.

The dealer lied or was misinformed. You need to do your own research. I would look into getting a refund for your needless additional warranty you got swindled into purchasing.
This is a very common tactic as it makes sense to the "used car" purchaser. Typically most items in this age are first-buyer warrantied only, so n one even takes the time to look and ask.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh well, the manufacturer warranty expires in 1 year anyway so now i have an extra 2 through another company. You live and learn

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember i just purchased my 15 evo gsr and after hard braking I developed an annoying squeal coming from the front brake pads. even though they had a lot of life the wear indicator made contact with rotor making an annoying high pitch sound. 26k is too early for throw out bearing. and if it is warranty will cover

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember i just purchased my 15 evo gsr and after hard braking I developed an annoying squeal coming from the front brake pads. even though they had a lot of life the wear indicator made contact with rotor making an annoying high pitch sound. 26k is too early for throw out bearing. and if it is warranty will cover
Brembos are pretty noisy normally, the sound you hear is probably normal, you can get a quieter pad next time. UPDATE : SELLING DEALER REPLACED ENTIRE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY FOR FREE

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Nice!

As for brakes, they are noisy because they are good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts