Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. My name's Renzo and I'm new here. I tried looking for a post on this before doing my own, so sorry if it already existed.

I bought a new, 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GT on May 26, 2011. It's the Latin American version of the GTS, no sunroof and a 4B11 (2.0L) engine. The car's been at the dealer about a year and a half in another city in my country (Honduras). It was delivered to me with 680 km on the odometer. I filled it up and the first tank (15 gallons) yielded just 24 km per gallon. The car's rated at 22 mpg city which is 35 km/g. Took it for it's 1000 km service and reported it's high fuel consumption. I was told the throttle body was cleaned (supposedly obstructed) and the air intake duct was cleaned and air filter was also cleaned. They said the computer reported no errors in sensors or anything else. They told me the air pressure in the tires was low by 2 psi and was corrected.

I've been driving like an old lady and the best I've gotten was 27 km/g. I'll be going in tomorrow to complain and try to speak with someone knowledgeable on the car, but wanted any ideas you guys have, please.

A friend suggested the spark plugs could be bad from not running for so long, that the air filter could have been ruined by being installed, run for a bit and then parked for so long and the fuel filter could be clogged by deposits formed because of too much time parked.

I've tried leaving the battery disconnected by about 3 minutes, too. When I fill up the tank it says my range is 520 km or about 325 mi, but the most I've gotten from it is 360 km or about 225 mi.

Any help or suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated, I'm quite upset that this nice car is starting off with such a disappointing start. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you only go by the gauge meter on the odometer?
No, PrestigeX. I took the distance traveled since I filled it up and divide it by the gallons taken to refill the tank. I've gotten from 24 km/g to 27 km/gal, which is from 15 mpg to 18 mpg. It should be about 22 mpg when driving conservatively, and I haven't been racing the engine. I try to keep revs below 2,000 rpm. According to the digital gauge it's from as low as avg 13.7 mpg to avg 18 mpg.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm assuming you have a manual since you said you keep the revs below 2k. Shifting at or below 2k rpm is not the optimal shifting point and may be the cause of your mpg woes. You put more load on the engine to get the car going thus causing more fuel and possibly a rich afr. I don't know your exact driving style but might be the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm assuming you have a manual since you said you keep the revs below 2k. Shifting at or below 2k rpm is not the optimal shifting point and may be the cause of your mpg woes. You put more load on the engine to get the car going thus causing more fuel and possibly a rich afr. I don't know your exact driving style but might be the cause.
Thank you for your answer, but I forgot to specify that the transmission's the CVT. I've tried accelerating without going over 2,500 rpm to about 40 or 60 mph and then cruising with the pedal barely pressed so that revs are low and the "instant consumption" gauge is giving me the greatest possible distance per volume of fuel.

Edit:

My car's been checked out at the dealer again, they've said everything is as it should be. Consumption's really high, but apparently that's from the amount of fuel it takes to get the car going and the short distances between stops or traffic lights in my city. In a highway test driving at a constant 100km/h at about 1,500 rpm the car was doing about 47 km/gal which is about what it's advertised to do.

Thank you for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts