Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin recently passed away, and given that I was close to him and one of the few car enthusiasts in my family, my Aunt decided to gift me his Evo.
I am attempting to determine the mod list for it, as there's not a lot of documentation to go off of and I know this girl ain't stock. That being said, right now I found a Grimm Speed boost controller installed, but the gray dongle hanging off if it is unplugged. From my research, I gathered that doing this eliminates the waste gate from dumping? Please correct me if I am wrong as I am trying to learn. Why would one do this? Should I leave it as it is or bring to a tuner to determine?

I know originally, his tune is from a guy in Washington State. The mods I was able to visually see are: 3" down, high flow cat, aftermarket catback, cold air intake, the Boost Controller I spoke of above, and lastly an upgraded AMS CMC as I just installed it myself.

I just want to honor him, and give the car all the love it deserves. If you guys have any recommendations for more stuff I should check in terms of mods and maintenance, please let me know.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
460 Posts
Per the grimmspeed manual, When the solenoid is off (closed), pressurized air from the compressor is fed straight into the wastegate control. Any increase in compressor pressure beyond the rated pressure of the wastegate control results in the wastegate being opened, preventing buildup of boost.

So, the car is running at wastegate pressure, which is around 14psi so the car wont' feel slow but it won't be nearly as quick as it should be. Especially with a tune.

Pop the rear seat off and see if the fuel pump harness is intact. If it's been modified it has some sort of fuel pump upgrade.

Other mods should be visible by inspecting things but I'd recommend getting the car into a tuner shop to give it a once-over and then check the tune on the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry for your loss

I'm in WA state, I think there are 2 places that people regularly get tuned:
1) English racing

2) Wali

You might try reaching out to one of them with the VIN and see if they did the tune. If so, they probably know the mod list

There's also a facebook group called Northwest Evos. Someone in there might have known your cousin and if so, could be familiar with the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Per the grimmspeed manual, When the solenoid is off (closed), pressurized air from the compressor is fed straight into the wastegate control. Any increase in compressor pressure beyond the rated pressure of the wastegate control results in the wastegate being opened, preventing buildup of boost.

So, the car is running at wastegate pressure, which is around 14psi so the car wont' feel slow but it won't be nearly as quick as it should be. Especially with a tune.

Pop the rear seat off and see if the fuel pump harness is intact. If it's been modified it has some sort of fuel pump upgrade.

Other mods should be visible by inspecting things but I'd recommend getting the car into a tuner shop to give it a once-over and then check the tune on the car.
Thanks for all the information, it's really appreciated. I will take a look at the fuel pump to see if it's been modified.
Would a modified fuel pump correlate with the solenoid being closed? With what you're saying, it doesn't make sense to me why my cousin / his tuner decided upon this.
Overall, the car runs beautifully at the moment, but the plan is to either get in touch with his original tuner or locate someone on the east coast that could take a look.
Again, I appreciate your response. Maybe instead of scouring forums, I should have thought to look up the grimmspeed manual... 😅

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for your loss

I'm in WA state, I think there are 2 places that people regularly get tuned:
1) English racing

2) Wali

You might try reaching out to one of them with the VIN and see if they did the tune. If so, they probably know the mod list

There's also a facebook group called Northwest Evos. Someone in there might have known your cousin and if so, could be familiar with the car
Appreciate the condolences.
Thanks for the info man, I know of English, but have not heard of "Wali".
I think reaching out with the VIN is a good start - I will report back if I find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts