Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my evo X a few weeks ago. This is my first awd car and it is totally a different experience launching than rwd and fwds. I was still getting used to the clutch. But, today, I was on a highway and tried to get out of a stopped lane really quick and launched it like i used to on my old car :duh:. My clutch slipped and I smelt that burnt smell for a while :(. Did I ruin my clutch? Please... help.... any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It sounds like it. specially if u launch. i have a 2011 and my clutch is gone im not driving it right now. the biggest biggest mistake is to launch ur Evo with stock clutch. i learned the hardway I have 10 months with it and its gone already :(. i launched like 10 times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It sounds like it. specially if u launch. i have a 2011 and my clutch is gone im not driving it right now. the biggest biggest mistake is to launch ur Evo with stock clutch. i learned the hardway I have 10 months with it and its gone already :(. i launched like 10 times.
I prolly let it go around 4-5k rpm. the car didnt bog at all like it always does when i start from stop normally... and them... the smell... :/
Is it really possible to ruin the clutch by slipping just once? :wallbash: I want to cry rite now...

If the clutch keep slipping after this incident, I would still smell that burnt smell rite?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dam i know what u mean my car started smelling too here n there. Mine went out at 15k . if u feel the cluch slip now while driving yeah its gone. mine started slipping lil by lil it started getting worst and worse. i could only driving super slow cuss when i step on it alittle it slips then grabs. the stock clutches suck .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a method to launching AWD..please look it up on this forum (use search) and save what clutch you have left. Launching AWD the wrong way is not recommended. Search terms: launch, two step, proper...

lol good luck!!
Thanks for the info. I'll try that when I hit 1500 miles... I am still at 850

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Are you seriously launching on a brand new car? Not the smartest thing to do... Atleast let it break in properly. Your not even giving your clutch a chance.
After correctly breaking in the clutch, I launched my car many times while at the drag strip and such. After all that, my stock clutch lasted me 40k+.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This problem doesn't happen with SST right? I launched my X through launch control like 20 already! Should I be worried about my clutch at this point?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Are you seriously launching on a brand new car? Not the smartest thing to do... Atleast let it break in properly. Your not even giving your clutch a chance.
After correctly breaking in the clutch, I launched my car many times while at the drag strip and such. After all that, my stock clutch lasted me 40k+.
I wasn't launching... I just lost my guard for that time... and started like I always do on my old car, RSX :duh: coz I was trying to cut in front of somebody... But, isnt 800 miles enough ? owner's manual asked for only 600...

I hope I didnt' "broke" the clutch in LOL....

·
Registered
108 Posts
another i launched my evo and my clutch is burning because im a newb thread seriously stay away from launching your evo with a stock clutch the factory clutch will last a long time if you dont launch my buddys evo has 50,000 miles on factory clutch hes raced it but hes NEVER launched it lol @ the guy whose car is 10 months old with a burnt clutch you fail :duh:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
This thread is why used Evos are generally a bad idea.:duh:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You should be fine dude! What you described probably won't harm your clutch much if at all...you only "launched" it once...

Like the guy with the 2011, my clutch blew out a little after 1 year ~13.5K mi which included 1 track day, lots of spirited driving and multiple launches (about 10)...I learned my expensive lesson that the stock clutch sucks balls...only positive is that I upgraded to a better clutch (ACT heavy duty)...

If you start to notice your clutch slipping in 4th/5th gear during higher rpms which would most likely occur while on the freeway (it will feel like the power is bogging and the rpms start flickering sporatically, which is the usual sign your clutch is close to toast) then at that point you would definitely need a new clutch and potentially flywheel depending on how long you wait to fix it...until then you should be just fine!

GL and easy on the clutch!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This thread is why used Evos are generally a bad idea.:duh:
LOL....
btw, did u go to OSU? i just graduated from there last June

You should be fine dude! What you described probably won't harm your clutch much if at all...you only "launched" it once...

Like the guy with the 2011, my clutch blew out a little after 1 year ~13.5K mi which included 1 track day, lots of spirited driving and multiple launches (about 10)...I learned my expensive lesson that the stock clutch sucks balls...only positive is that I upgraded to a better clutch (ACT heavy duty)...

If you start to notice your clutch slipping in 4th/5th gear during higher rpms which would most likely occur while on the freeway (it will feel like the power is bogging and the rpms start flickering sporatically, which is the usual sign your clutch is close to toast) then at that point you would definitely need a new clutch and potentially flywheel depending on how long you wait to fix it...until then you should be just fine!

GL and easy on the clutch!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to be more careful from now on.

another i launched my evo and my clutch is burning because im a newb thread seriously stay away from launching your evo with a stock clutch the factory clutch will last a long time if you dont launch my buddys evo has 50,000 miles on factory clutch hes raced it but hes NEVER launched it lol @ the guy whose car is 10 months old with a burnt clutch you fail :duh:
My car is 3 weeks old and already burnt the clutch. :duh: i did not even like launch launch... just tried to fast-start :wallbash:

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,070 Posts
dude, seriously don't listen to everyone. i learned to drive on this car and launched it and burnt the clutch several times learning. i knew eventually it would destroy it, but made it to 26k miles before slipping. And that 26k miles was 99% in downtown Chicago, so lasted quite a while.

you're learning to drive it, don't worry soo much, it's more robust then that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts