Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 2011 GG GSR for almost a year now and I've finally got around to ordering some parts finally! I'm quickly realizing how different a world it is having a turbo car! I had a sentra spec v that I fully bolted and I'm building an LS1 88 Camaro... but now that i've started doing some research, i realize i have a lot to learn!

So far for the X i've ordered the Cobb turbo-back/stg 2 AP and the Depo UICP and LICP kit.

I would be getting an intake but the guy at Cobb said they don't have a map for that yet and there isn't anywhere around here (AL) that can tune it. I'm really nervous about modding a turbo car.... especially under warranty

I've read about panel filters... is that just a replacement for the factory filter using the oem box? is that safe to swap out without having to worry about tuning

Also, looking at gauges. I know I need a boost gauge but what would be the second most important one? EGT? AFR?

Sorry for all the questions, but I almost feel like i've never modded a car before lol... i remember the sentra forum i was on was a HUGE help! Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
So I've had my 2011 GG GSR for almost a year now and I've finally got around to ordering some parts finally! I'm quickly realizing how different a world it is having a turbo car! I had a sentra spec v that I fully bolted and I'm building an LS1 88 Camaro... but now that i've started doing some research, i realize i have a lot to learn!

So far for the X i've ordered the Cobb turbo-back/stg 2 AP and the Depo UICP and LICP kit.

I would be getting an intake but the guy at Cobb said they don't have a map for that yet and there isn't anywhere around here (AL) that can tune it. I'm really nervous about modding a turbo car.... especially under warranty

I've read about panel filters... is that just a replacement for the factory filter using the oem box? is that safe to swap out without having to worry about tuning

Also, looking at gauges. I know I need a boost gauge but what would be the second most important one? EGT? AFR?

Sorry for all the questions, but I almost feel like i've never modded a car before lol... i remember the sentra forum i was on was a HUGE help! Thanks for any input!
Ah I see the problem. Yeah that sucks. Yes a panel filter just uses the stock box. Should be ok running that with the Stg 2 AP map.

Boost is good to have, the other (and arguably more important) would be a WIDEBAND O2 sensor (like the the AEM UEGO)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! That's gonna be my next buy. I really don't like the idea of not having gauges...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
^if you buy gauges make sure there log capable for your setup with the AP...I'm not sure what widebands are all supported on COBB now but I used AEM when I was on AP

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait wait wait... You mentioned warranty and you have mods on your car?!!?!? Dude you got alot to learn

you really think a TBE and AP stg 2 is enough to get me in trouble in terms of warranty??? I know Don Herring sells some evos with that package already. I was gonna get an intake and call it a day until my warranty is up (got 20k miles right now)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^if you buy gauges make sure there log capable for your setup with the AP...I'm not sure what widebands are all supported on COBB now but I used AEM when I was on AP

awesome thanks! This is exactly the kind of help I need!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When my warranty was denied one of the reasons was aftermarket intake and exhaust

dude that sucks! did you blow your motor?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. Two holes in my block

damn what mods were u running??? I'm guessing it might not have been just the intake... that kinda scares the hell out of me!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Intake. IC Pipes. Tbe exhaust 3-port pro tune..I ran the Same setup minus 3-port on Cobb stage 2 and I thought It was slow. So I got a pro tune and it was awesome until weather changed. But IMO Cobb maps are slow and conservative. Pro tune is the way to go but it can b more risky. And yes you should be scared. I just shelled out 10g for my new built motor...but atleast I had an excuse to build a beast ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMO. Just get a pro tune and you won't have
To worry about what OTS maps are released by Cobb

I thought that protune was for people trying tune their own cars.... definitely not for me... and i don't think there's anyone around here that i would trust to tune... atlanta maybe?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Intake. IC Pipes. Tbe exhaust 3-port pro tune..I ran the Same setup minus 3-port on Cobb stage 2 and I thought It was slow. So I got a pro tune and it was awesome until weather changed. But IMO Cobb maps are slow and conservative. Pro tune is the way to go but it can b more risky. And yes you should be scared. I just shelled out 10g for my new built motor...but atleast I had an excuse to build a beast ;)

LOL i guess there is a fine line between "slow" and two holes in the motor.... i'm already building the camaro as my "beast"... i wouldn't mind staying on the conservative side with the evo since it's my daily driver

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
LOL i guess there is a fine line between "slow" and two holes in the motor.... i'm already building the camaro as my "beast"... i wouldn't mind staying on the conservative side with the evo since it's my daily driver
I wish I would have stayed on the conservative side on my DD, but my Evo addiction got me, scratchscratchscratch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.