Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I just brought my 2011 Evo X GSR PB recently and I wanted to have a bit of fun with it. It's my DD car, but I still want to be my fun car. What will be the ideally first few mods is good for a X. I want to hear my BoV but right now can't hear anything. Do I need to change the Intake System in order to hear it better? Any other suggestions to what to mod first for Evo X is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :godance:

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
UICP
Intake
Exhaust

in that order.

BOV would be last on my list when sticking with stock turbo.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Personally i would do all bolt ons that would effect a tune...then tune it. That way you only have to get tuned once.

And if you want to hear your bov...upgrading the intake will make it louder...even a simple $50 K&N drop in filter will work (thats what i bought the day i got the car and i can hear the turbo spool and the bov alot better) Also a intake will lean, the the already rich tune, out a tiny bit.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Personally i would do all bolt ons that would effect a tune...then tune it. That way you only have to get tuned once.

And if you want to hear your bov...upgrading the intake will make it louder...even a simple $50 K&N drop in filter will work (thats what i bought the day i got the car and i can hear the turbo spool and the bov alot better)
That all depends on if he throws all those breathing items on at the same time. The stock X really comes alive with a tune, of course those that pay for tunes probably would hold off...

·
11,761 Posts
I fixed that for ya!
I assumed he was just talking about parts, but yeah, tune is a must. But I wouldn't do the first tune you listed. Just once after part installation. BTW, a 3 port would do good as well.

UICP
Intake
Exhaust
3-port and tune

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
BTW, a 3 port would do good as well.
:+1:

I have tried most boost controllers out there and hands down the 3-port is win.

Of course, those 3 items you listed cost me about $3k so I tuned as I went. :innocent:

·
11,761 Posts
:+1:

I have tried most boost controllers out there and hands down the 3-port is win.

Of course, those 3 items you listed cost me about $3k so I tuned as I went. :innocent:
yeah, the numbers really do pile up don't they. The trick is to buy them separately to avoid sticker shock ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assumed he was just talking about parts, but yeah, tune is a must. But I wouldn't do the first tune you listed. Just once after part installation. BTW, a 3 port would do good as well.

UICP
Intake
Exhaust
3-port and tune
What brands do you guys sugguest having for those? I know there is a lot out there, but which is more common and good? Sorry for the beginner questions. :duh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cobb tuning 400s kit!

Wish I went that way...At first I thought intake , TBE and tune was ok...Then I bought more and more and more parts!
I wish I could afford that right away haha, but can't especially just brought the car.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
cobb tuning 400s kit!

Wish I went that way...At first I thought intake , TBE and tune was ok...Then I bought more and more and more parts!
isn't the 400s technically only applicable up to 2010 models? i'm definitely looking to go this route. i wouldn't be able to afford it all at once so i plan on getting intake+tbe then getting the cobb 400s upgrade a little later.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
From what i personally want for my DD, im going with ETS for exhaust parts and AMS for Intake, IC, UICP/LICP and other little parts. All AMS parts im getting from the dealership since I get a military discount...beats paying shipping/duty fee's as well.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
also, the op got lucky with this thread because most of the time these "what should i do first" questions are rather crudely told to use the search bar :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, the op got lucky with this thread because most of the time these "what should i do first" questions are rather crudely told to use the search bar :)
I actually already used the search bar many times and pops out way too many different threads not the ideally the ones I am looking for =/

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
intake will open up that "bov sound"

after that get bolt ons (uicp/licp/fmic/exhaust), 3port, and tune

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

And if you want to hear your bov...upgrading the intake will make it louder...even a simple $50 K&N drop in filter will work (thats what i bought the day i got the car and i can hear the turbo spool and the bov alot better) Also a intake will lean, the the already rich tune, out a tiny bit.
So the drop in filter is just a cheaper way for the BOV? I am going to get the AMS Intake most likely, so will it be pointless to get the filter? The tune you guys are talking about is dyno tuning it right?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
So the drop in filter is just a cheaper way for the BOV? I am going to get the AMS Intake most likely, so will it be pointless to get the filter? The tune you guys are talking about is dyno tuning it right?
Or road tune, pick your poison.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
yea i plan on getting a few intake but for now i just got a cheap $50 K&N panel filter. It does bring the sound out but not as loud as a full intake or a vta bov will make. I'm still learning about the car and turbo systems (this is my first turbocharged car), so ill be buying all my things next year when i get back from afghanistan...until then, im just enjoying what i have. And i suggest dyno tuning over flashed tunes. i dont care if any company is amazing at what they do, a flash tune will never be 100% ment for your car...a dyno tune will. That being said, it also depends on the tuner you go to for dyno tuning as well...lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts