Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be receiving my new used turbo to replace the one on my evo. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
such as, should i use the same gaskets from my old turbo seeing that they are
metal?
or order some new ones? was thinking it would be safe to but not sure if its a must. if so whats some good sites to buy from.
Etc :drive:
Thank you

·
Registered
158 Posts
Be prepared for the b*tch bolt! It's on the underside of the turbo and secures it to a brace. You need a 3' extension and a 14mm swivel socket to get it out.
Don't reuse the metal gaskets or the copper O-Rings on the feed/return lines.
Make sure you keep track of, and use all of the factory washers if you want to keep the turbo bolts from getting lose.
Park the car for a couple days before you go to change it and liberally soak every bolt you'll be working on with penetrating oil so it has time to work.
Be prepared to break a bolt or stud anyway (A pain, but mostly a downtime issue if you have to take it to be machined out).
MAPerformance has a good selection of OE gaskets, bolts, studs otherwise OEM at the dealer is always a safe bet.
Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be prepared for the b*tch bolt! It's on the underside of the turbo and secures it to a brace. You need a 3' extension and a 14mm swivel socket to get it out.
Make sure you keep track of, and use all of the factory washers if you want to keep the turbo bolts from getting lose.
Park the car for a couple days before you go to change it and liberally soak every bolt you'll be working on with penetrating oil so it has time to work.
Be prepared to break a bolt or stud anyway (A pain, but mostly a downtime issue if you have to take it to be machined out).
MAPerformance has a good selection of OE gaskets, bolts, studs otherwise OEM at the dealer is always a safe bet.
Good luck!
Totally appreciated man, i was wondering how much of a pain i was about to get into. ill definitely do that. i kinda figured about the gaskets but cant always be too sure hence i asked . thanks alot man as for the copper o-rings
did not know i had to replace those. youre a life saver, ill order those now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck!
hey boss another question, how would you go by priming the turbo. should i use like a syringe with motor oil going through it to lubricate or just install and turn over a couple times before actually turning the car on

·
Registered
221 Posts
and use all of the factory washers if you want to keep the turbo bolts from getting lose.
A guy on EvoM just had his turbo basically come un-bolted from the car because he didn't use those factory spring washers. Make sure and hold on to those.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey boss another question, how would you go by priming the turbo. should i use like a syringe with motor oil going through it to lubricate or just install and turn over a couple times before actually turning the car on
It'll get oil really quickly. Nearly as quickly as if you had just done an oil change. If it makes you feel better, turning it over for 10 seconds with the injectors unplugged would get everything fully lubricated without any spooling up of the turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts