Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some intense driving in a track day, my car stopped boosting over 20PSI and I could hear air escaping from somewhere. I checked all hoses and nothing looks loose. tried to do a boost leak test but couldnt find out any leaks. What else can I do?

The car seems normal from idle to around 20PSI. At idle the boost is -20 and AFR is at normal levels.
At WOT, after 20PSI the AFR becomes 10 with a loud noise of air escaping coming out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Could the boost controller be the issue? I know a faulty one will leak like crazy under pressure. You did a leak test past 20psi?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Definitely a boost leak. Just do a proper boost leak test with 20+ psi.

Just my noob 2 cents, but if it actually doesn't start until a certian psi you might want to check the bov. It could be failing and starting to leak. Complete speculation though, someone more knowledgable will probably chime in shortly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suppose to hit around 25 PSI. But i can clearly hear air escaping after around 20 :s

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Is the "air noise" a high pitched sound?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Is the "air noise" a high pitched sound?
This is funny. I have the same problem. I just installed an EBCS and got road tuned last Saturday and ever since I have the same problem, and I would guess it's also around ~20-22psi.

The "air noise" is definitely a high pitched sound. I tightened the hose clamps to and from the EBCS, but I suppose it could be a leak in one of the fittings. I tried tightening down the fittings on the EBCS but they're already as tight as I can get them.

Chet suggested it may be the stock BPV. Any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.