Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my twm short shifter and I don't seem to be able to engage the gears on the left well (1st, 2nd). I tried flipping the spring around on the guide pin but still no luck. I also popped the hood and checked the shifter cables and everything seems to be intact. Anyone have a similar issue after a short shift install? The shifting is quite stiff and right now I'm using 3,4,5,R to get around.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Check your shift lines on your tranny. One may have popped off. Happened to me a while back and I just had to reconnect it, add a washer, and secure it in place and good as new. If you take out your intake it's much easier to see and get to. You could possibly see it without the intake off but it'll make things easier to get to if that happens to be the problem.

EDIT: Just reread and saw you checked already. Sorry.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha, I think I figured it out. I put the AMS shifter base bushings in the top instead of underneath which is changing the entire geometry. Stupid things didn't come with instructions, what can I say? :/

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Stupid things didn't come with instructions, what can I say? :/
lol... it's not a completely new part added to the car... you took some off the car, the new ones go back where the old ones came from :duh:

If it was like "here, put this wing on the trunk, good luck and I hope you drill the holes right" then I could see not being able to add these things to your shifter base. This, however, is not the case. Four of those lil guys came out from under, so four go back in to replace :shades:

Anyways good luck, glad you found the problem. I almost had a problem at the under hood shifter bushings because I moved one of the levers while trying to work stuff in and didn't realize how far it moved.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if you remember the old bushings are double sided and symetrical, whereas the ams ones are asymetrical and one-sided so you kind of have to guess.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took everything apart today and flipped the bushings around. The actual problem was that my friend rotated the plastic piece inside of the shifter assembly 180 degrees causing it bind the shifter from going fully to the left. Rotated it and voila! butter smooth shifting. Short shift ftw.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Well if you remember the old bushings are double sided and symetrical, whereas the ams ones are asymetrical and one-sided so you kind of have to guess.
Ah yeah maybe I called them to ask which way they go or I guessed, I dunno. Didn't remember them being different from stock other than material, it's been quite a while.
my friend rotated the plastic piece inside of the shifter assembly 180 degrees
Uh huh... sure. Your "friend." Okay buddy.

...kidding :shades:

Glad you got it sorted out! Starting in 2nd is bad enough, can't imagine coming from a stop in 3rd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts