Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I still haven't ordered my Evo X just yet, but I'm looking at all the options and I am wondering if the $2300 for the Nav is really worth it. Considering you can get a fantastic aftermarket in-dash Nav for $500, and every smart phone now comes with great nav apps, what does the factory Nav really give that's 4x better?

I understand you can change some system settings with it, but does it have anything truly awesome about it, like performance pages, or gauges, or anything like that?

Just soliciting some feedback from OEM nav owners here, thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Got my evo x with nav. In my opinion, there is a pro and con. The good thing about adding oem nav, is that it makes the interior look way better, dont like how the stock radio looks, and aftermarket nav kits for the X looks cheap. The con about the nav is that it took me to incorrect places and i had to use the iphone to get me to the right place.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you dont have a budget and have the money, add the nav. When you decide to sell the X, you will get more for the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
OEM nav looks the best.. aftermarket will still run you 1500-2500 for a good set up... i like big buttons and touch so i went with OEM.. many people have had this debate. you can search more about it. $500 is wishful thinking. Also, without the touch panel... your dash is SHIT ugly.... cheers!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree i have the stock nav it looks way better in the car and is extremely convinient, i used a tom tom in my prior car and you can potentially get more for the car later if need be. i havent had any real nav issues just routing issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could get every option, but the OEM Nav is the same price as a nice set of KW coilovers... if it's not set up something like the GT-R Nav with all the gauges and extra stuff beyond navigation I really wonder if it's worth the cost at all. Not worried so much about resale value here either, I'll keep it for 5 years until it's worth less than half what I paid for it anyways.

Thanks for the feedback though, agreed it looks a lot cleaner in the dash.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even at $1000 for an aftermarket nav like an Avic x940bt, is that not a much better navigation system for half the price?

The thing I'm really asking is, what does the OEM nav do that's better than an aftermarket nav? Aside from fit the dash more cleanly.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Would never pay that much! I have seen these sold from members for as low as $700!
I would really want one in the future but wouldnt pay over 2k lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
It doesn't receive satellite radio, thats the only thing that stopped me from getting it. But I still haven't found an aftermarket setup that looks as good as oem

·
Registered
242 Posts
use the search function.. there isnt any really good fitment nav's... there is pinoeer and kenwood that have decent ones..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the OEM an odd size? Nobody makes an aftermarket nav that can fit in the OEM bezel?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't think nav makes car resell value higher.... To start off.. Evo x dash is not greatest looking dash.. Oem nav does it worth $2000+ ??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
i personally like the OEM navi, it flows best with the dash. It looks sleek and it actually looks like it belongs there not like the aftermarket pieces. They work but they dont exactly match the interior IMHO, and well 2300 is a lot for the navi im sure you can pick one up used from a member for a lot less, and update it there are always ways to get the cd for the update maps through the internet if you know your way around it.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
the nav is way overpriced IMO. That said, my car came with it (bought used) and I am sooooooo glad I have it in there. It integrates nicely with the car in terms of changing options and stuff and having the HDD is kind of nice. I think I will also do the bluetooth retrofit soon, as that's a nice feature to have as well. So if you can look past the price, I think you should get it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the valuable feedback guys, I think I'll forego adding the OEM nav to the options list when I buy, and if I really want it I'll look for a used one for 35% of the cost.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Don't overpay for the Navigation. For 2,500 it isnt worth it. Either get a used on on the forums or do what I did and get an after market navigation setup. Whatever navigation you get, just make sure you get the JDM dash kit, because it will be infinitely worth it over the metra or scosche kit. It looks a million times better, and fitment is clean.

I'm currently rocking a Kenwood DNX9980 with the JDM dash kit, and it looks OEM. It has the latest up to date Garmin maps, redlight traffic alerts, speedtrap alerts, Nearest e85 stations (if I ever switch to e85). and even shows a lancer as my car (instead of a stupid arrow). Maps are in 3d of course, and there's just so much more features than the out of date, ancient navigation that mitsu charges 2k+ for.

Steering wheel controls are retained with the pac swijack, bluetooth retained because the headunit comes with it, and SiriusXM retained with a different satellite receiver, but still using the same antenna that came with the SS package. (So no need to route a new antenna through the car)

I can post pics but all i have is a shitty iphone camera.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't overpay for the Navigation. For 2,500 it isnt worth it. Either get a used on on the forums or do what I did and get an after market navigation setup. Whatever navigation you get, just make sure you get the JDM dash kit, because it will be infinitely worth it over the metra or scosche kit. It looks a million times better, and fitment is clean.

I'm currently rocking a Kenwood DNX9980 with the JDM dash kit, and it looks OEM. It has the latest up to date Garmin maps, redlight traffic alerts, speedtrap alerts, Nearest e85 stations (if I ever switch to e85). and even shows a lancer as my car (instead of a stupid arrow). Maps are in 3d of course, and there's just so much more features than the out of date, ancient navigation that mitsu charges 2k+ for.

Steering wheel controls are retained with the pac swijack, bluetooth retained because the headunit comes with it, and SiriusXM retained with a different satellite receiver, but still using the same antenna that came with the SS package. (So no need to route a new antenna through the car)

I can post pics but all i have is a shitty iphone camera.
Saying steering wheel controls retained, you mean the oem bluetooth controls operate with the dnx9980?
is it just answer and end or does the 1st one work as well? (to operate the dialing a call etc...)

also to retain sirius you just bought an external unit?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Saying steering wheel controls retained, you mean the oem bluetooth controls operate with the dnx9980?
is it just answer and end or does the 1st one work as well? (to operate the dialing a call etc...)

also to retain sirius you just bought an external unit?
Currently the Pac SwiJack lets you use volume up, volume down, channel up, channel down, mode, and ONLY pick up call for Bluetooth. The stock Hang up and Voice Command steering wheel buttons are not compatible with the Current Kenwood. This is because Kenwood hasn't programmed their units to accept a remote voice command activator, so you have to use the wired button that comes with the Navi for Voice Command.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts