Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for tuners in the group. My emissions is due. Unfortunately I am located in CA. Well July of 2020 the state implemented in our emissions check a check of the ECU tune. In the verification it would have to be confirmed that the Stock OEM Rom was present in the ECU. Reason that the OEM Rom has a Cal ID/CVN number that only displayed in this Rom. I went to NorCal Motorsports page to download a stock Rom as I bought my car with its first setup and tune which I have since changed over a few times. My question is does anyone know if this Roms came from legit OEM Rom and would contain these ID numbers? If not would anyone be willing to provide me with a 2008 GSR Rom I could flash for emissions purposes? Yea yea I know move out of Cali. It’s planned

I everyone I know here has either flashed their stock Rom on and passed or tried to get around it and was State Reffed. Unfortunately I can’t find Any one here in my town with the exact stock 2008 GSR Rom I need. Everyone is either 2010+ or an MR.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
There is a third optin: Get an electric car. No emisions EVAR to worry about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you figure out what you're going to do? I'm going to need to do something similar in a few years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did. I ended up finding out which rom I needed exactly. After some research I found someone who posted it. Downloaded it and checked CVN and CAL ID and it’s a Match. Send me a message. I will help you figure it out and save it on my Laptop for uploading. Actually if you have tactrix you will be able to do it

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes I did. I ended up finding out which rom I needed exactly. After some research I found someone who posted it. Downloaded it and checked CVN and CAL ID and it’s a Match. Send me a message. I will help you figure it out and save it on my Laptop for uploading. Actually if you have tactrix you will be able to do it
did you have to put all your stock parts back on+ the stock ROM tune?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes that is what you technically have to do. Stock parts to pass visual and Stock rom to pass ECU verification part.
i think if the car is tuned and you have no check engine lights you still should pass regardless unless. I could be wrong but i was able to pass a few years back with my STI on a protune on 91 oct. no cats. bigger injectors ect ect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think if the car is tuned and you have no check engine lights you still should pass regardless unless. I could be wrong but i was able to pass a few years back with my STI on a protune on 91 oct. no cats. bigger injectors ect ect.
That does not work anymore. Bar website list that they are now checking the ECU for the correct Cal ID and CVN (which changes with any little change made to stock tune). If you go in and try it again your ECU will be flagged and you will have to go to State ref. In order to get an appt with state ref you have to first go to a dealer and get your stock ROM uploaded and send proof to the Refs office before they will make the appointment. I know this because it has happened to a few people I know in EVO’s and many other cars. Also I do have a friend that’s a Smog tech. That’s how I found out this info in the first place. This was all implemented July of 2020.

There are also a few threads on it. You can also take a look at the BAR website.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That does not work anymore. Bar website list that they are now checking the ECU for the correct Cal ID and CVN (which changes with any little change made to stock tune). If you go in and try it again your ECU will be flagged and you will have to go to State ref. In order to get an appt with state ref you have to first go to a dealer and get your stock ROM uploaded and send proof to the Refs office before they will make the appointment. I know this because it has happened to a few people I know in EVO’s and many other cars. Also I do have a friend that’s a Smog tech. That’s how I found out this info in the first place. This was all implemented July of 2020.

There are also a few threads on it. You can also take a look at the BAR website.
damn... well their is always someone that "knows a guy" and you do not have to do anything. just pay and its taken care of. Did that for my built STI for years for each smog and never had an issue again this was years ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn... well their is always someone that "knows a guy" and you do not have to do anything. just pay and its taken care of. Did that for my built STI for years for each smog and never had an issue again this was years ago.
yeah I know a guy. Unfortunately he said all he can do is ignore the visual. When he plugs it in the Cal ID and CVN must match what they have on record for your car from the dealer. Which means you will have to have 100% stock tune just for the time of smog. Then you can reupholster your tune after they unplug it.
I know people who thought they got away with it and were flagged. A few weeks later they relieved a letter in the mail from BAR that said they had to go in for a State ref inspection.
I am not gonna take the chance man. My guy will pass me visual and I have already uploaded my stock rom and changed the simple things like injectors. He said as long as we can get the car to idle and have the stock tune he will pass everything else.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah I know a guy. Unfortunately he said all he can do is ignore the visual. When he plugs it in the Cal ID and CVN must match what they have on record for your car from the dealer. Which means you will have to have 100% stock tune just for the time of smog. Then you can reupholster your tune after they unplug it.
I know people who thought they got away with it and were flagged. A few weeks later they relieved a letter in the mail from BAR that said they had to go in for a State ref inspection.
I am not gonna take the chance man. My guy will pass me visual and I have already uploaded my stock rom and changed the simple things like injectors. He said as long as we can get the car to idle and have the stock tune he will pass everything else.
Did you just install a stock ROM specific to your year and model or do you mean it has to be the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL that came with your specific car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts