Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Which will you buy?

• 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X

Votes: 56 87.5%
  • 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Neither, I'm either happy with my current car are want to buy something different.

Votes: 2 3.1%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These cars are natural enemies, battling it out for your performance yearning dollars. So which do you want? Which will you be ready to buy when they hit North America in about a month?

Granted this poll is on a forum named after one of the cars, so while I expect the results to be skewed, this will still be a fun poll and and I hope will generate a good discussion about the relative merits of each vehicle.

Let the battle begin!

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't even vote on this poll, I can't make up my mind, or I prefer leaving my options open? OK, I am really leaning towards the STI recently, so I think I will have to choose that for now, for the purposes of this poll. It just seems to hit all the right points in what I am looking for in my next car.

· Registered
79 Posts
I have wanted an evo for quite a while now. I can't let someone elses opinion decide how I will feel about something without even experiencing it for myself. I think people on forums (mostly EvoM) are overly critical. Everybody wants the car company to apease them, when they have to think about must more. as a customer yeah you want what you want when you want it, I get it. But the things people are complaining about can be fixed by the customer. I mean come on who will be leaving this car stock??? Bottomline Evo X MR all the way.... cause I don't like hatchbacks... just doesn't scream performance car to me. (hopefully the SST doesn't bite me in the ass haha)

· Registered
3,986 Posts
The ugly looks of the STI is a pretty hard pill for me to swallow, just like how some people think the Evo X performance is a hard pill to swallow.

Ultimately, both cars has one major 'down fall', Evo X under performs while the STI looks ugly as sin.

So it really depends if you want to trade performance for looks.

Personally I can't throw down 40-50k on a car that I think looks ugly.

· Administrator
24,309 Posts
I have wanted an evo for quite a while now. I can't let someone elses opinion decide how I will feel about something without even experiencing it for myself. I think people on forums (mostly EvoM) are overly critical. Everybody wants the car company to apease them, when they have to think about must more. as a customer yeah you want what you want when you want it, I get it. But the things people are complaining about can be fixed by the customer. I mean come on who will be leaving this car stock??? Bottomline Evo X MR all the way.... cause I don't like hatchbacks... just doesn't scream performance car to me. (hopefully the SST doesn't bite me in the ass haha)
:+1:

· Administrator
24,309 Posts
The ugly looks of the STI is a pretty hard pill for me to swallow, just like how some people think the Evo X performance is a hard pill to swallow.

Ultimately, both cars has one major 'down fall', Evo X under performs while the STI looks ugly as sin.

So it really depends if you want to trade performance for looks.

Personally I can't throw down 40-50k on a car that I think looks ugly.
It's easier to make the X faster than it is to make the STi prettier.

· Registered
3,986 Posts
It's easier to make the X faster than it is to make the STi prettier.
You make a compelling argument :)

One more thing I might add is that the Evo X won "most fun car" even though it is slower in the straights than the 9. That says something about the overall car.

I mean, don't people want to go fast because they want to have fun? Well the Evo X can do that with less of that.

I am not saying that the Evo X is 'ok' to perform worst than the 9, but I think credits should be given where it is due.

· Registered
179 Posts
I am a prime candidate for the new STi. I've had a Suby for four years. Modded the hell out of it. Learned a load of stuff that would translate to the new STi. Made friends on Suby boards. I moderate on toronto subaru club.com. Made friends at Suby shops like Four Star Motorsports. My car won Best In Show at the annual Toronto Subaru Club/Subaru Of Canada Show and Shine two years in a row.
I even like hatches. My GF has a Mazda 3 which I like because I can throw snowboards or my mtn bike in the back of so easily.
All that being said, I just can't get past the looks of the new STi. It just reminds me of a PT Cruiser too much. And I hate those ridiculous tail lights.

The only way I'm not making good on my deposit for the EVO X MR is if they announce silly pricing.

· Registered
158 Posts
Only thing I would criticize on the sti would be the corola/hyundai front end. I have been anxiously waiting for the evo x for more than two years and went from-"this is such a great looking car, and its gona rock", to-"I cant believe its slower than almost everything it competes against, I cant believe it will be 300 pounds heavier in usdm form, I cant believe mitsu. would do this to their flagship". My $15000 downpayment will have to wait and see what mitsu does about pricing---because i think that if i can get ahold of that wrc wing on the wrc concept for the sti and mitsu prices the evo the same or higher than the sti, I may just be doing something I never thought i would do, and thats go with the sti.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All's fair in love and war, as they say. I was not looking for an unbiased statistic. If that is what you want then call 2,000 people from the phone book and get back to us with your results.

We know that the STI is going to get a beat down in an Evo forum. This is just for fun and to generate discussion. The fact that it will get any votes here says something about both cars.

· Registered
47 Posts
Like a lot of people here, I'm flip-flopping between the 2 on a daily basis.

I'm not a fan of the size/weight of the EVO, but I hate the NA seats in the STI. If the STI came with the JDM Recaros, I'd get it in a heart beat.

I have little doubt the STI will beat out the EVO in most comparisons.

· Registered
2 Posts
I too am a flip-flopper.
I've been fascinated by the X from the first article I read, and still am.
I can get over the fact that it is not as fast as the 9 or the STI, I'm not going to be racing them anyways. I got over the hatchback thing and was sold on the STI until pricing was released. Was more than I expected and took some wind out of my sails for it. I'm hoping the X is priced more to my expectations and I'll be more than happy to hand over some money.
I will be the odd man out in my group as 3 others are planning on getting the STI. I like being odd.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'd lean towards the Evo MR if you could get the thing with a manual. I've driven the Audi TT with the S Tronic for three extended test drives now and I just can't get over the lack of a manually activated clutch... no matter how good the new twin clutch autos are.

As for the STI seats, the initial reviewers seem to like them so that might be a non issue. And while it ain't no looker, I do like hatchbacks.

Anyhow, I'll be seeing them both either at the Cleveland or Detroit Auto Show.

· Registered
51 Posts
My choice is the Evo X (i guess thats why im here). The STi may be faster, but i dont care about all the 'this beats this by so many fractions of a second.' At that point its all nit picking (like they are doing on EvoM). When it comes down to this point where they are both very very similar, what matters to me are:

The exterior appearance goes to the Evo.
The more advanced AWD systems goes to the Evo.
The price goes to the EVO (im assuming that the EVO will start at low 30s).

· Registered
46 Posts
My choice is the Evo X (i guess thats why im here). The STi may be faster, but i dont care about all the 'this beats this by so many fractions of a second.' At that point its all nit picking (like they are doing on EvoM). When it comes down to this point where they are both very very similar, what matters to me are:

The exterior appearance goes to the Evo.
The more advanced AWD systems goes to the Evo.
The price goes to the EVO (im assuming that the EVO will start at low 30s).
how can the price go to the evo? it hasn't been released yet...and most speculation tends to think that price is actually going to go to the STi...

don't get me wrong...I've been waiting for the X for a long time now, especially when I found out that the STi was going to be a hatch...I currently own my second Subaru and was heart set on the 08 STi...when I found out about the hatch I went and almost bought one of the last remaining 07's...but I held out and did more research on the X...but with the preliminary numbers I started looking at the STi again...so now, like most, I'm going back and forth...and now I like the look of the new STi...

so for me the only thing the evo has on the STi is fastkey and recaros...but you'll be able to get the jdm recaros if you really want them...I paid quite a bit to get jdm sti seats in my wrx...fastkey is cool but I know I would unlock the car before I got to the door...and sometimes that thing is tricky (knows from experience having sold mitsus and seen the look on customers' faces when the door doesn't open right away demonstrating the fastkey entry...)

I don't know...I'm really interested in the upcoming comparison...I just wish they would finish it and post it already!

· Registered
158 Posts
Well i was hell bent on getting the evo x but all these tests and negative(performance) reviews have totally killed all my enthusiasm. If people have been hating on the evo x its because it deserves the hate. A regular wrx with 224hp does 0-60 in 5.6sec for gods sake!!!! the X does it in 5.4???? I will never understand why shitsubishi allowed this car to regress the way it has performance-wise, and i like many others MUST show how disappointed we are. Never would have i even considered the sti had it not been for this inexcusable regression, to me the only thing that saves the evo are its looks and to a lesser extent that it pulls .99g. But even with that it got eaten at the track by the evo 9 and old sti. The only way I would buy the X now is if it came in at a lower price than the sti so i could try and get to at least 300whp with the aftermarket and lose some of that disgusting weight (over 300lbs!) on the usdm X shitsubishi deems nesesary.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.