Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on socalevo.net and no ones been able to respond to this.

I've been saving some funds for a solid suspension(almost there). I just wanted to hear some reliable opinions/first hand experience with the parts I had in mind.

I was pretty dead set on getting Ohlins R&T from Muellerized, but then started looking at the AST 5000 series. I have heard nothing bad about Ohlins, but I'm hearing pretty good reviews on AST of all levels as well. The one thing I do like about the AST 5000 series is that fact that you can buy the 5100 and upgrade to the 5200 or 5300 if needed. That type of flexibility is quite convenient if I ever do feel like taking the next step. The Ohlins R&T and AST 5000 are around the same price range, but I'm not really sure if this is an apples to apples comparison. I hear most people say Ohlins R&T over AST 4100 by a small margin, but my worries is I might grow out of the Ohlins when this becomes my dedicated weekend/track car.

For guidance of recommendations, I care about ride and performance. But if I had to give a biased to one, it would be performance first, ride second.

So, I guess in summary here is my basic usage of the car and expectations of the suspension:

Car:
Daily driven(soon to be weekend car); I only commute 5 miles to and from work, not a big deal.
Plan on tracking car(once a month/every other month)

Suspension:
If both suspensions are custom valved by a good suspension shop with the same specs, which one would ride smoother?
If both suspensions are custom valved by a good suspension shop with the same specs, which one is faster on the track?
Is there a big difference in cost when rebuilding both these suspensions?
Can one suspension system handle higher spring rates while maintaining comparable riding conditions?(ie ohlins 10k/12k = ast 5000 8k/10k)

Just to ease the flamers, I have looked up all comparison threads on AST vs. KW(Robi/ots), Ohlins(DFV mueller/ots), JIC(Mueller), on google and read what most people had to say on them. But I have never seen this type of comparison. I've seen people post about deciding between the two, but never actually any real input on the AST 5000 side for the evo x. If it has been done, I'm sorry. Linking that thread in here would be very appreciated.

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
A...........................S............................T

I am saving up for my set too. Will get them from Vorshlag when the time comes with their additional hardware for the full setup.

But seriously though, you would be hard pressed to notice any differences. You WILL NOT GO WRONG either way.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I have heard nothing but great things about the AST coils. Ohlins have the same reputation as well. There is a local who rallies/hill climbs his evo 8 on AST's if that helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

I know the 4000 series is very road friendly and track capable, but how much will i be gaining on the track performance/sacrificing on the streetability with the 5000 series? Is it all around better on both? Anybody have any first hand experience with the 5000 series? Is the 5000's still that new for the X?

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
5000 has been out for a while. Ohlins and 4000 are actually newer for the X. RobEvo on this forum races a rally setup of AST-5300. I think Clipse3GT runs Ohlins. PM them if you need first hand inputs from these guys.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Likewise, I am seriously looking at the AST 5200 coilies.
would love to hear opinions if they are better than, or equal to, the Ohlins.

trouble is, it's going to be hard to find someone who has tried both on the same car, or even driven both in similarly modded cars.
Mine is mainly for a track car though, with occasional street duties.

subscribed for info :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have ridden on both on an X (only real difference between the two cars was the tune and tires) and I'd call them equals (5100 vs DFV). Just go with what you like or what is cheaper.

One aspect of the 5000 series AST's that I really like is that they are modular and you can upgrade them very easily from 5100->5200->5300 if you desire the extra control. I am unsure whether the DFV is capable of this or not.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm running the same Ohlins setup as Clipse. Nothing bad to say. They are awesome in every aspect... Let me know if you have specific questions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm running the same Ohlins setup as Clipse. Nothing bad to say. They are awesome in every aspect... Let me know if you have specific questions.

What happened with the AMRs?

I actually have a set of ASTs that I ordered before I figured out how to set up the Robispecs.....Now that I have them dialed in, I have not been on the fence if I want to go through the touble of trying the ASts out, wait untl the Robis need to be revalved and try them out or just sell them.

Here is my point, I don't know anyone who actually has the ASTs besides Robevo who has given any extensive feedback and his is a race car...not a DD part time track car like most here drive.

Has anyone seen any detailed feedback or have driven/ridden in a car with the ASTs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
We did sell a couple sets of 5000's for the EVO a while ago, before the 4100's were available. The customers were not really forum people and didn't post much, but we got a lot of positive feedback from them.

Both coilovers are very good, and both perform and ride well with the right rates.

The AST 5000 series is defintely a little more track focused. The upgradeability of them is very nice, but even as a single it's a bit more cash than the Ohlins. Definitely good to know it's possible though and they are very easily rebuilt/revalved too. They have a lot of range built in, especially on the firmer side.

No real need to custom valve them unless you go with an extreme or very specific usage (rally, or super high spring rates). AST did a lot of development with an EVO X on their own and know their way around a shock. We had them do a few of our 4100 sets for hardcore track/auto-x guys but with the 5000's it wouldn't be needed most of the time.

We have the engineers at Ohlins USA revalve our Ohlins when it's needed, but for most cars that are still street driven it is not. For a hardcore auto-x or track only car it would be nice.

Are Mueller's Ohlins custom valved or do they just use his own spring rates and he sets the settings?

- Andrew

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
What happened with the AMRs?

I actually have a set of ASTs that I ordered before I figured out how to set up the Robispecs.....Now that I have them dialed in, I have not been on the fence if I want to go through the touble of trying the ASts out, wait untl the Robis need to be revalved and try them out or just sell them.

Here is my point, I don't know anyone who actually has the ASTs besides Robevo who has given any extensive feedback and his is a race car...not a DD part time track car like most here drive.

Has anyone seen any detailed feedback or have driven/ridden in a car with the ASTs?
The AMR's were a little too harsh for daily driving...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you using the same spring rates for both sets or did you go softer for the ASTs? Actually, I live close.....would be interesting in comparing the ASTs and the Robispec side by side. We could see if Kris wants to join us and compare to the Ohlins.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help in advanced.

1. What spring rates did you have your setup to?
2. What is the specs on your suspension(custom, off the shelf, self adjusted)?
3. In respect to stock ride(GSR if applicable), do the ohlins ride smoother/same/harder than the stock suspension?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Are you using the same spring rates for both sets or did you go softer for the ASTs? Actually, I live close.....would be interesting in comparing the ASTs and the Robispec side by side. We could see if Kris wants to join us and compare to the Ohlins.
I actually bought Ohlins after riding in Kris's car.... I had AMR's before...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the help in advanced.

1. What spring rates did you have your setup to?
2. What is the specs on your suspension(custom, off the shelf, self adjusted)?
3. In respect to stock ride(GSR if applicable), do the ohlins ride smoother/same/harder than the stock suspension?
10K setup all around

I have a whiteline rear sway and SSP endlinks. Also whiteline Roll center kit

I'm gonna say harder, but in no way harsh. You def. have to ride in a car with them to appreciate....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Duh...not thinking. Long week of call.

What spring rates on the Ohlins vs the AMR?

Still should get together....you can try the Robispecs..and it is nice to hang out with other forum members. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are Mueller's Ohlins custom valved or do they just use his own spring rates and he sets the settings?

- Andrew
I'm really not 100% sure on all the procedures down at muellerized. I know they have a shock dyno. But as far as the extent they are willing/able to calibrate suspensions, I'm not sure. I don't think they re-valve unless they really need to, and it definitely wouldn't be for what I'm using them for.

I could have sworn I seen somewhere online that they were one of the listed rebulders of AST suspensions.

I would ask you for some prices on both since I got the funds ready to go, but I still need to do some homework. I like to plan every variable out before I pull the trigger. Minimizes my regrets I guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts