Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Searched and read reviews of both Ohlins and JRZ RS1 - both seem to be high quality coils. The one thing I have yet to find is anyone who has owned Ohlins and then switched to JRZ RS1.

So any first hand accounts from EVO X owners that went from Ohlins to JRZ RS1 and their impressions for daily driving comfort?

I know both are great track setups and I know there is decent price differential - my primary concern is the DD i.e. wife test haha. So assuming price is not an issue which of the two setups is better for daily driving?

thanks

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Both are top honor Coil overs. Ohlins has been around for a long time and have some of the best systems to date. Although i must say that the JRZ RS1 for DD hands down is the better setup. Simply because of the valving of the damper. Its so well put together. Other than the valving, all else is essentially the same. Keep in mind though, any coil over you use will be a rougher ride. Choosing springs rates will dictate how harsh it will be.

Also, one mans harshness is another ones comfort. Do you plan to track the car or mostly DD? What are your goals?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Pricing for the Ohlin's have dropped a lot. Hit up Drew @ MAP ;)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Both are top honor Coil overs. Ohlins has been around for a long time and have some of the best systems to date. Although i must say that the JRZ RS1 for DD hands down is the better setup. Simply because of the valving of the damper. Its so well put together. Other than the valving, all else is essentially the same. Keep in mind though, any coil over you use will be a rougher ride. Choosing springs rates will dictate how harsh it will be.

Also, one mans harshness is another ones comfort. Do you plan to track the car or mostly DD? What are your goals?
Qwerty, I heard the valving on the JRZ's are a true one-way system vs the Ohlin's adjusting both rebound and compression? Is that true?

I'm going with Ohlin's because of Andrew from GTWorx told me:

98% DD immediately makes me recommend the Ohlins.

They're just easier. The JRZ RS1 are a daily drivable shock, but it's still based on a motorsport shock at it's core. No dustboots, no bumpstops. Living in MN....yikes.

You can always spend more money, but it may not match your situation any better. I tend not to think about things as overkill or better/worse...it's just the Ohlins would fit your needs better. Dustboots + bumpstops, better corrosion resistance, quiet no matter what., etc. You just happen to spend less money doing it. JRZ RS1, although streetable and great at the track, probably would annoy you at some point down the line.

The Ohlins are a motorsports level damper that's in a very streetable and durable body.

We used to share shop space with one of JRZ's east coast rebuilders and he had a lot of things to say about a lot of companies....but one of the few companies he only had good things to say about was Ohlins. They're just a really good shock.

I do recommend alternate spring rates with the Ohlins. We do 10k front and rear for EVO X for someone with usage like yours.

Both are easily serviceable in the US. If you get into tracking more and more, the Ohlins are still very capable. If you want to go nuts on them, they can be revalved and resprung if needed.
I wouldn't think this would be breaking trust as it's a general message, but if needed I'll take this down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for the replies. Currently I have a set of Ohlins being shipped to me from Rallysport - got them for a killer price of 2500 shipped (the retail price has now gone down to 2750 and I had a 10% off coupon)

A full JRZ RS1 setup is about 4400 so I figured the RS1, although better weren't 1900 better - but I've been having second thoughts - and I can always return the Ohlins since they are unopened etc.

Springs rates - was thinking of going 10k/10K on the Ohlins - for the RS1 - either 8K/9K or 10K/10K.

Usage - mostly daily driving - maybe a few track days - waiting for Summit Point FATT to put up its 2014 schedule so I can sign for a track day. But I'm a realist - don't know how much time I'll have to go to the track. When I owned my WRX up in buffalo - I would just go to TMP since it was cheap and accessible. But now my old DTC60 just collect dust in my closet (although Brembo cross compatibility for the win)

Oh one last question - it was always my belief that a stiffer spring is going to be feel stiffer/harsher - i.e. although things being equal, on a given damper/strut, a 10K spring will feel less comfortable than 8K spring - just physics. now I've been told that, that is not true on dampers such as Ohlins and JRZ - and I'm skeptical - so any real world experience/thoughts on that or any spring rate recommendations for mostly DD on either the Ohlins or JRZ.

thanks

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
10K/10K on a DD? Many would not like that combo unless the car serves as a track toyas well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10K/10K on a DD? Many would not like that combo unless the car serves as a track toyas well.
I would agree - on the Ohlins I had called around to see if I could get a 8K/8K spring combo - but was told - they come out of the box with 10K front, why would you go lower - on the Ohlins damper 10K is fine etc etc.

Maybe I should just go with the JRZ RS1 at 8k/9k and be done.

Keep the opinions/thoughts coming - thanks

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the replies. Currently I have a set of Ohlins being shipped to me from Rallysport - got them for a killer price of 2500 shipped (the retail price has now gone down to 2750 and I had a 10% off coupon)

A full JRZ RS1 setup is about 4400 so I figured the RS1, although better weren't 1900 better - but I've been having second thoughts - and I can always return the Ohlins since they are unopened etc.

Springs rates - was thinking of going 10k/10K on the Ohlins - for the RS1 - either 8K/9K or 10K/10K.

Usage - mostly daily driving - maybe a few track days - waiting for Summit Point FATT to put up its 2014 schedule so I can sign for a track day. But I'm a realist - don't know how much time I'll have to go to the track. When I owned my WRX up in buffalo - I would just go to TMP since it was cheap and accessible. But now my old DTC60 just collect dust in my closet (although Brembo cross compatibility for the win)

Oh one last question - it was always my belief that a stiffer spring is going to be feel stiffer/harsher - i.e. although things being equal, on a given damper/strut, a 10K spring will feel less comfortable than 8K spring - just physics. now I've been told that, that is not true on dampers such as Ohlins and JRZ - and I'm skeptical - so any real world experience/thoughts on that or any spring rate recommendations for mostly DD on either the Ohlins or JRZ.

thanks
they are stiffer than the stock gsr struts but not annoyingly so. To me, they feel just a tad stiffer than the kybs were. I have mine with those same specs (10k/10k) and daily drive it and have been for the past 2 years. I have zero complaints with them for daily use here in the northeast.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
When i first got my JRZ RS1's i had a 450lb spring up front and 500lb spring in the back. That translates to a 8kish front and 9kish rear spring. I thought those were about perfect for DD. Now if you want to track the car, then these springs rates are too low. a 10k front and 10k rear is too much spring for a DD car. I agree the JRZ are more Motorsport at its core and geared for double duty at the track and on the street. Although if you already have the ohlins then just stick with those. No reason to switch now. For the price you cant beat them since your not really tracking the car.

Now choose appropriate spring rates.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,069 Posts
Aren't they about the same price? I don't remember there being enough of a price differential for that to be a factor when deciding.

That said, you will be hard pressed to find someone that has owned both. Everyone who gets Ohlins loves them, everyone who gets RS1s loves them, so no real point in trading between the 2.

Edit

I wrote this reply like 2 hours ago, just never hit submit. I see lots of useful info has been posted since i wrote it...

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
When i first got my JRZ RS1's i had a 450lb spring up front and 500lb spring in the back. That translates to a 8kish front and 9kish rear spring. I thought those were about perfect for DD. Now if you want to track the car, then these springs rates are too low. a 10k front and 10k rear is too much spring for a DD car. I agree the JRZ are more Motorsport at its core and geared for double duty at the track and on the street. Although if you already have the ohlins then just stick with those. No reason to switch now. For the price you cant beat them since your not really tracking the car.

If tracking, he may want to consider a change in the springs as well as the Eibach springs that come standard on the JRZ-RS1 are heavy. A Hyperco spring is lighter weight.

I personally would choose the Ohlins for a DD, but if tracking the car then I would skip the RS1 and go up to the RS-Pro.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Aren't they about the same price? I don't remember there being enough of a price differential for that to be a factor when deciding.

That said, you will be hard pressed to find someone that has owned both. Everyone who gets Ohlins loves them, everyone who gets RS1s loves them, so no real point in trading between the 2.
The Ohlin's dropped to $2759 and the JRZ's are still $4220 with the full kit @ AMS. So it's a big difference now :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks, that's really good to know - I guess I'll go for a 8k/8k and see how it feels. If I get enough of chance to do some track days and HPDE and I feel I need more spring or damper will upgrade then - but I know - I'll be slow because of lack of driver mod - the EVO is already pretty quick - its usually the driver(me) that needs instructions/mod to go faster around the track anyway (at least that's what my old WRX taught me a while ago)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Rallysport Direct has the Ohlins for 2759 and MAP has them for 3400.
They haven't updated it...I already let Drew know today though.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
If tracking, he may want to consider a change in the springs as well as the Eibach springs that come standard on the JRZ-RS1 are heavy. A Hyperco spring is lighter weight.

I personally would choose the Ohlins for a DD, but if tracking the car then I would skip the RS1 and go up to the RS-Pro.
Swift springs are the best choice.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I tracked the car even with the 450lb front and 500lb rear spring. On Street tires it shouldnt be an issue at all. Now if you go to r-comps or slicks, then you need to bump it up a good amount.

an 8k front 8k or 9k rear setup should be great for DD. 10k front and 10k rear if you are doing a good amount of tracking.

11k front and 12k rear if you are getting serious about tracking (circuit racing)

And in all honesty, while there are some good guidlines to go by, spring rates really depend on a few things:

1. What you plan to use the car for
2. Weight of car (Corner balance)
3. Tire choice (Streets, r-comps, etc.)
4. Driver Mod

The above will get you in the general ball park of spring rate.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You will be fine with 10k/10k on the Ohlins as long as your roads aren't totally destroyed.

10k spring rates.... I miss those days of the "cushy" ride.

You can pick up Hyperco springs and swap them out if you want softer.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts