Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, all,
Does you guys oil pump get noisy after like 500 miles on new oil?
I did an oil change(with mobile 1 ep 5w30) 2 weeks ago and now my car already feels painful at high rpm and oil pump is very noisy especially cruising between 2k -3k rpm.

I can't beat it that hard: I do daily drive faster than 95% drivers out there, but I don't floor it every chance I get. However, my oil pump usually gets annoyingly loud very quickly and I usually have to change mine around every 1.5k - 2k cuz I just can't stand the oil pump noise.

My question is, when the oil pump gets loud, would you change it right away? or still stick with scheduled maintenance(3k every change) and will there be dmg?
What really makes the oil pump noisy? is it because of shearing? Are there any oil recommendation to "combat"/ resist this noise?
Or is this just a nature of the EVO? Maybe with any oil, the oil pump will whine after a few hundred miles?

Edit: I really don't wanna turn this into another which oil is the best thread. I just want first hand experience from you guys and which oil you guys used to combat this noise.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My question is how do you know it is your oil pump that is making noise? Like how are you hearing this in the car at cruise?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question is how do you know it is your oil pump that is making noise? Like how are you hearing this in the car at cruise?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qry6HutYQ

Here is a link that is very similar to mine, sound goes away after a oil change, but comes back after 500-800 miles after the new oil.
It is most noticeable between 2k -3k rpms

·
Registered
578 Posts
I suggest getting under the car and have someone else rev it up. I am not convinced that it is the oil pump, but it isn't my car though. I have heard plenty about the TC death whine and could it be that?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest getting under the car and have someone else rev it up. I am not convinced that it is the oil pump, but it isn't my car though. I have heard plenty about the TC death whine and could it be that?
Thanks man.
I am kind of surprised that this noise is not well known.
I had 2 evo x and both of them have this sound when oil is old.
It also have this sound when car is completely stationary.
Also, let's say this is Something more than just engine oil.. Why would it go away after an oil change?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree man, it is strange and I can see why you are saying oil pump. I just haven't seen any other posts about noisy oil chains. I have had my car for almost 8yrs and have resealed the oil pan 4 times plus another friends. It is something new for me so I am interested in learning more myself.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Yep, it's well known. I had this noise since 500 miles on the car brand new. There was a lot of threads on it. It is oil pump and it does go away after oil change. So now that we got that out of the way...

I just learned to live with it. Louder exhaust may be? Unless someone can recommend oil that would reduce the noise.

My car has 60k miles on it since I first heard the noise and it never changed. Still same noise since day 1.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, it's well known. I had this noise since 500 miles on the car brand new. There was a lot of threads on it. It is oil pump and it does go away after oil change. So now that we got that out of the way...

I just learned to live with it. Louder exhaust may be? Unless someone can recommend oil that would reduce the noise.

My car has 60k miles on it since I first heard the noise and it never changed. Still same noise since day 1.

Lol, ya, it had been the same for me as well, since I got my current evo 2 years ago.
I could live with it.. But it just make the car sounds very un-healthy ,even if I know it is just the oil pump.

I was opening this thread to see if anyone found an oil that could keep the noise away for more than 1k miles.. But I guess everyone might have get used to it, lol.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Lol, ya, it had been the same for me as well, since I got my current evo 2 years ago.
I could live with it.. But it just make the car sounds very un-healthy ,even if I know it is just the oil pump.

I was opening this thread to see if anyone found an oil that could keep the noise away for more than 1k miles.. But I guess everyone might have get used to it, lol.
I am somehow feeling like this is the case and everyone just out up with it. I heard some have replaced the pump multiple times and sound would still come back after very short period of time.

"just the oil pump" is like saying "just your heart" :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not trying to hijack but what are some signs that your oil pump is going out? Since it's common for them to make noise when they're healthy..

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Not trying to hijack but what are some signs that your oil pump is going out? Since it's common for them to make noise when they're healthy..
It gets louder I guess? I have never heard of pump going out on an evo actually.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have had the same noise since new. Goes away for a couple hundred miles after an oil change, comes back later. Gets louder if i drive hard. Car at 4700miles, have had 2 oil changes so far; 2014 Evo, Mobil Fully synthetic 5w40.

Learn to live with it i guess lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, had the dealer swap it out for a new one and the noise went away. Still no noise after 2k miles.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Try rotella t6 next oil change and see what it does.
Even my muatangs 4v motor had louder lifters on Mobil 1. Use rotella in it and the ticking went away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2015 Evo had the noise, changed oil to Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 after break-in and now 2 oil changes later I haven't heard the noise since. Daily driven 105km minimum everyday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had two X's (all 14MY). The first X was run on Mobil 1 5W30 ful syn and that thing screamed after about 600-1000 miles after an oil change. I just thought that the noise comes with the car. With my second X, I switched to Pennz Ultra Platinum after running the stock stuff for 500 miles and it is much quieter. I'm at 85XX now, 2 oil changes & I have to really listen for it to be heard now...much better. The only thing is that Ultra Platinum 5w30 is a thinner oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having the same noise as in the YouTube video. Was this confirmed oil pump? Is there any urgency to have this fixed or is it just an annoying noise?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think I've ever had an issue with that in an 2008 or a 2012. I do change my oil every 2000 miles tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only reason I think it's the oil pump is because of information I found online such as this thread and a few others.

It does sound "impeller like" and is related to engine rpm rather than wheel speed (happens in neutral parked on the drive). I just had a new timing chain fitted and this noise existed before and after that so don't think it's the chain and a mechanic has run the car with the aux belt off which didn't affect the noise so it's not the alternator or anything aux driven.

I believe the oil pump is chain driven, not sure if anything else is? But at the moment that's my conclusion but I'm not sure about the urgency of getting it fixed other than its bloody annoying!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts