Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only reason I think it's the oil pump is because of information I found online such as this thread and a few others.

It does sound "impeller like" and is related to engine rpm rather than wheel speed (happens in neutral parked on the drive). I just had a new timing chain fitted and this noise existed before and after that so don't think it's the chain and a mechanic has run the car with the aux belt off which didn't affect the noise so it's not the alternator or anything aux driven.

I believe the oil pump is chain driven, not sure if anything else is? But at the moment that's my conclusion but I'm not sure about the urgency of getting it fixed other than its bloody annoying!
I think i had a similar issue.

I described it as a somewhat faint whining or whirling noise coming from the front passenger side of the car, when revving between 2k and ~4k rpm. I could hear it get louder and louder after an oil change. Starting @ about 500 miles and getting its loudest around 2,000 miles after the oil change. 5W-40 Motul.

Does this sound like a similar description?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only reason I think it's the oil pump is because of information I found online such as this thread and a few others.

It does sound "impeller like" and is related to engine rpm rather than wheel speed (happens in neutral parked on the drive). I just had a new timing chain fitted and this noise existed before and after that so don't think it's the chain and a mechanic has run the car with the aux belt off which didn't affect the noise so it's not the alternator or anything aux driven.

I believe the oil pump is chain driven, not sure if anything else is? But at the moment that's my conclusion but I'm not sure about the urgency of getting it fixed other than its bloody annoying!
I think i had a similar issue.

I described it as a somewhat faint whining or whirling noise coming from the front passenger side of the car, when revving between 2k and ~4k rpm. I could hear it get louder and louder after an oil change. Starting @ about 500 miles and getting its loudest around 2,000 miles after the oil change. 5W-40 Motul.

Does this sound like a similar description?
Yes, well its the drivers side for me but I'm talking about a right hand drive car. If I put my ear to the front wing at that side it resonates pretty well.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My question is how do you know it is your oil pump that is making noise? Like how are you hearing this in the car at cruise?
Its a noise that grows with RPM and drops the same regardless of vehicle speed. I can hear what I believe to be my pump on low speed trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I had a new oil pump fitted, and... I can still hear the noise 🙈

It's more subdued, so either these cars just have noisy oil pumps or changing the oil has masked the real culprit. I'll see if it gradually gets louder again as the oil degrades.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, well its the drivers side for me but I'm talking about a right hand drive car. If I put my ear to the front wing at that side it resonates pretty well.
Yeah sounds very similar.

I read a post around here somewhere, from a Ralliart owner, and they said they purchased an Evo X oil cooler and after installing it, they heard a similar noise. Their assumption was that the lines and cooler caused an audio effect which made the oil pump seem louder. Similar to the effect of an exhaust drone I guess.
Not sure if this was confirmed or how factual it is, but it was an interesting thought.

I just had my engine built (unrelated to this sound) and had stiffer engine mounts installed, along with swapping out my HFC for a test pipe, and i can still faintly make out the sound of the oil pump when the oil gets dirtier/thinner, despite all the noise the car makes now lol.

The sound used to worry me, but seeing as its slightly still there even after a build etc... I don't worry about it anymore, I just keep up with oil changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I might buy a stethoscope as I think it's a useful thing to have around.

I think I'm going to live with it too having replaced the pump there's not much more I can do, unless I figure out a different problem.

Probably just try different viscosity or brand of oil (the noise came back to annoying levels after less than a 1000 miles with the new pump installed)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've bought a stethoscope but couldn't get pinpoint the culprit. The noise does resonate through the front wing and engine mount but obviously those things aren't making the noise!

I'm going to do an oil flush and fresh oil anyway as I've started popping P0012 code (don't think the chain can be my issue given its only 3 months old, but I'll do a visual inspection just in case.. I assume that my solenoids or feeder pipes are just clogged)

While I'm fully under the car I'll do some more prodding around with the scope.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: did and engine flush, oil and filter change today. While I was in between jobs I had a poke around with a stethoscope. Noise definitely resonates in the oil cooler and pipework to/from it and seemed loudest within the oil filter. Bit quieter when I touch the pump housing but maybe because its thicker metal or maybe the noise is on the return journey? Anyway with the new oil in the noise subsides as usual (still detect it with the scope) so let's see how long that lasts.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts