Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was just doing a routine oil change on my Evo X and I noticed a fair amount of oil deposit near the passenger splash guard. Once I pulled the shield off to inspect, I can see the oil cooler has a small leak underneath. It looks like some of the lower fins are damaged and it may also have a hairline crack from what I can tell. It also looks like someone at some point repaired it? Epoxy patch? I started feeling it a little and the patch area flaked off (only a little is remaining as seen in the photo attached).

My question for you guys is what should I do? It obviously is leaking and it should be fixed, but is it okay if I try to patch it again? A new OEM oil cooler is quite pricy at about $450-500 (which I would like to not spend right now lol). Not really feeling an aftermarket one as my Evo is a stock daily driver. I have a friend who has a used one I could get, would that be okay if it is relatively clean and leak free? What do you guys recommend?

~Thanks for the insight!

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
A used one would be fine if its in good shape.

A nice aftermarket would be nice, but considering that you think $450-500 is a good bit, a nice aftermarket is out of the question too..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi everyone,
I was just doing a routine oil change on my Evo X and I noticed a fair amount of oil deposit near the passenger splash guard. Once I pulled the shield off to inspect, I can see the oil cooler has a small leak underneath. It looks like some of the lower fins are damaged and it may also have a hairline crack from what I can tell. It also looks like someone at some point repaired it? Epoxy patch? I started feeling it a little and the patch area flaked off (only a little is remaining as seen in the photo attached).

My question for you guys is what should I do? It obviously is leaking and it should be fixed, but is it okay if I try to patch it again? A new OEM oil cooler is quite pricy at about $450-500 (which I would like to not spend right now lol). Not really feeling an aftermarket one as my Evo is a stock daily driver. I have a friend who has a used one I could get, would that be okay if it is relatively clean and leak free? What do you guys recommend?

~Thanks for the insight!

View attachment 288371
View attachment 288370
if you are looking for an OEM one. I'm about to upgrade mine. No issues has 40k on it. No leaks at all. Im starting to track more so im upgrading. Let me know if you are interested

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

~Thanks for the insight!

View attachment 288371
View attachment 288370
I would suggest going with a MAP oil cooler, but if you think $500 is to spendy (it is for the stock cooler) then buy used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! I already installed the one from my friend and the car is all good now. If anyone reads this post though and is installing another oil cooler on their Evo, you NEED to get new washers going to the cooler (they are crush washers w/ built-in seals and are unusable again once used). I foolishly initially reused mine, put the car back together, and leaked oil out lol.

There is x4 washers total (2 for each banjo bolt going to cooler). You need to get the OEM ones. The part number is MIT-MR464563 .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have oil leaking also, and managed to get a used one from ebay, with the coil cooler lines for $250.

I was looking at the diagram :
Font Urban design Auto part Drawing Diagram

Anyone knows why 13, and 14 are NOT highlighted for sale and part number in the list ? The listing ends at part 12, and are (13,14) same as (10,11) ?

9,10,11 are termed for Upper Hose Return.

12,13,14 are for Lower Hose Feed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts