Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Looking for some guidance on an oil leak I am I'm chasing on the back of the block somewhere. Car has a Full Race EFR kit with a 7670 that was installed by a shop. The more I drive it, the oil eventually pools up and drips off of the transfer case onto the front sub frame.

Due to the location, I assumed it would be on the oil feed or return lines to the turbo as they are right there, so I got the car up to running temps and took an endoscope to it.

The oil feed connects to the back of the block on the passenger side, and the top of the turbo. It's completely dry on both ends with no drips. Oil return connects to the bottom of the turbo and also goes over to the passenger side of the block. No leaks on either side there either.

Where the oil is pooling:

Return line on the bottom of the turbo

Where else could this be coming from? If this was you, what would you check next? I'd prefer to not pull the turbo/manifold if possible...

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Clean it up good and dry; then try that UV additive and light combo.
thanks for the advice!

so taking off my aluminum undertray made it immediately obvious that the leak was in fact coming from the passenger side from the giant stain. the UV dye i added made it pretty clear that it was leaking out of the bottom of the connector for the return line from the turbo (where it connects to the block)

I was able to squeeze a crescent wrench in there above the axle and tighten it up. is this something that is normally sealed? or just tighten it up and it should be good to go?

this picture is from after i tightened everything up, wiped everything down, then took it for a 5 mins drive. no fresh oil anywhere that i could see. i had the turbo spooling a bit but no WOT or anything like that

·
Super Moderator
501 Posts
Hopefully just tightening it will be good enough. Maybe just something to keep an eye on in the future, but I think that will take care of it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
thanks for the advice!

so taking off my aluminum undertray made it immediately obvious that the leak was in fact coming from the passenger side from the giant stain. the UV dye i added made it pretty clear that it was leaking out of the bottom of the connector for the return line from the turbo (where it connects to the block)

View attachment 288366

I was able to squeeze a crescent wrench in there above the axle and tighten it up. is this something that is normally sealed? or just tighten it up and it should be good to go?

this picture is from after i tightened everything up, wiped everything down, then took it for a 5 mins drive. no fresh oil anywhere that i could see. i had the turbo spooling a bit but no WOT or anything like that
I had same oil leak before on oil return pipe, I just bought new stainless steel braded lines and replace it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts