Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Just thought I'd share my initial thoughts on after driving my new Pearl White SST for one day around town. I live in Asia and we can buy JDM versions of the car. So, no, it's not an MR... it's basically a GSR with no options other than a big spoiler and an SST. It's just the way I like it. The options available on the JDM versions are Stylish Exterior (chrome bits, matching plastic, lighter grey on the plastic front bumper), Performance (two piece rotors, bilsteins, BBS rims) and Leather Interior, none of which are to my tastes and cost a pretty penny to boot.

At the request of some of the forum regulars, I thought I'd post my driving impressions on the car. Mind you, these are the impressions on a man for whom the X is his first performance vehicle, pootling around urban/suburban environs, trying to keep the revs low (break-in) and his licence intact... for 1 day :

1. Normal automatic shift mode:

This was unbelievable smooth and easy to live with. You don't feel the shifts at all, except in 15-to-0-to-15 kph start stop traffic, in which case you occasionally feel the gearshifts (nothing unpleasant).

The car shifts very quickly into D6 (which is sixth gear), to save on the gas. IMHO, if you are on the Normal mode (as opposed to Sport or S-Sport), it doesn't make any sense to shift the car yourself using the paddles. In order to replicate the kind of fuel economy that the automatic shifting in the Normal mode would have, you would have to flick the paddles up and down like a maniac. For example, when I'm at 80 kph (50 mph), and I look down to check the central console, the car is already in D6. I believe the car would normally shift to D6 even before that kind of speed.

Even at low revs in this mode, this car has great throttle response, more than enough torque/acceleration to overtake during normal driving. The turbo eases in around 3000 rpm. There's a mild push and no kick in the seat in normal mode.

And no, I have not tried any of the other shift modes or launch control etc. If you have to ask, I'm waiting to try those features on YOUR new car. :rock:

2. Mileage:

I've been driving around on featherfoot mode, and here's the magic mileage number so far (remember: not broken in):

7.8 km/l = 18.4 miles per gallon.

At this rate, the range of the car on a full tank is close to 400 km or 250 miles.

This car drinks. I can only imagine what it's like to drive the car hard.

Let me know if you guys are curious about anything else. To be honest, in terms of other aspects like road noise, driving charateristics, my car would be very similar to your GSR.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Thanks for your initial impressions!

·
Registered
39 Posts
18 mph in mild (city/mixed) driving conditions. Yikes! What a fuel hog.

My '05 Legacy GT with a SZ55 Turbo (like a Green/Red) with 400 whp would still get 20-22 mpg in such conditions and just under 18 mpg driven with enthusiasm.

I'm not wanting to dump on the X / SST, but my goodness that's pretty bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know the transmission has a certain effect but I believe the fuel economy is held back more by the engine as we've seen from the rich dynos and the cooling gains added to the motor.

But all that aside that wont put to much of a dent into the side I get 20-22 mpg with an enthusiastically driven sentra babying the evo should be no sweat..

And wonderful information thanks for the right up would appreciate sport and s-sport impressions upon ability to do so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.