Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
[Team Evolved Co-President]
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this issue for awhile. I've searched for answers. Had it at the dealer, the tuners, random car people riding in it trying to track it down. Everyone smells it, no one can figure it out.

It has a smell almost like fired gun powder. It's not constant. Usually only when I get on it or anytime the BOV flutters. Originally, I thought it may be the BOV or tied to it, but we changed out the stock BOV to the Synapse Synchronic BOV and it still has that smell.

My car has:
'11 GSR
Synapse BOV
AMS Downpipe
SC UICP
ETS Intake
3 port
stock exhaust
tuned by SpeedCircuit

I've had the smell since I bought it (used), so I can say that none of my mods brought it on. I've had it pressure tested and it came back good for the mileage (65k) Sometimes the smell is really strong. It's most noticeable in the cabin. Smelling under the hood it's faint. Smelled the breaks and that's not it.

It's just really peculiar. It's not any fluids burning. I don't have any leaks. I wonder if it could be an exhaust leak? Or Co2? We've tried to track it down and it remains a mystery. Im just curious if anyone else has had that wierd smell under those conditions and figured it out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You'd be surprised what folks have found in the air-vents of used cars. If you haven't done so already, pop the glove-box and check the cabin air filter.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd be surprised what folks have found in the air-vents of used cars. If you haven't done so already, pop the glove-box and check the cabin air filter.
Checked.. It's definitely not that. Although I am due to change the filter hehe

·
Registered
215 Posts
Checked.. It's definitely not that. Although I am due to change the filter hehe
Again, I can't smell so I don't really remember what gun powder smells like, but have you checked the fuses for any bad ones? I would assume that fuses could put out a "burning" smell. Also, does it have a stock radio or aftermarket? If it's an aftermarket, take the thing out and make sure that all of the cables are correctly wired and/or dummied off. I'd do the same with door speakers, et cetera, if it's an aftermarket system. Anything that could have been done wrong, check it. I would assume that it would have to be something that has to do with an electrical circuit since it has a gun powder smell... But then again, I don't really have any personal knowledge of those smells so I can't compare haha

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think victim might be close. From what you described as burning gun powder, and very unique, my first thought was electronics. If you have ever toasted a CPU or any other type of electronics the have a very distinctive smell.

I had that smell in my car, same as yours, infrequent and no great correlation to anything I did. I replaced all my relays, as my afrs where little goofy some times, and I had the old style ones that should have been replaced anyways. The very next time I drove the car, I had a little bit of the smell, but it hasnt come back since. Fuel relay had a bit of the smell to it, so I'm guessing that was it.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gun powder has a sulfur smell...does it like rotten eggs? Do you have a cat on the car? Maybe hydrogen sulfide?
Stock cat. It's not really sulfuric... It's more like the smell of a spent round. If you've ever fired a gun, the smell after it's fired... Not so much rotten eggs per se. Gonna check the heat shield for black soot next.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Exactly. A bud of mine works in the service dept of a ford dealer. He said that they can't go more than a month without finding a stash of Weed in a car someone has traded in. More often then not it is found in the empty compartment of a trunk mounted CD changer...

·
aka 1990ggsxnj
933 Posts
Did Dino smell it as well? Not sure if he falls under random car people.

How many miles are on the car? A catalytic converter going bad can also smell differently depending on the kind, temperature, abuse it took beforehand, etc. Not saying I've ever smelt gunpower-ish aromas from a bad cat, just suggesting a possibility. I would say switch to a test pipe or high flow cat for a short time and see if it ever comes back. I also have my stock cat you can borrow to rule that out if need be.

Could it just be when you're going as fast as you can past Camden? Jus' sayin'.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did Dino smell it as well? Not sure if he falls under random car people.

How many miles are on the car? A catalytic converter going bad can also smell differently depending on the kind, temperature, abuse it took beforehand, etc. Not saying I've ever smelt gunpower-ish aromas from a bad cat, just suggesting a possibility. I would say switch to a test pipe or high flow cat for a short time and see if it ever comes back. I also have my stock cat you can borrow to rule that out if need be.

Could it just be when you're going as fast as you can past Camden? Jus' sayin'.

He did actually. I think he's as baffled as I am. He even took Anthony out in it to see if he could figure it out and they both came back scratching their heads. I am leaning on some kind of exhaust leak. Possibly cat. I will be replacing from downpipe back soon, so we'll see if that's it. I should have a boost leak test done to see if its boost I'm smelling...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
OK heres one for you. I have a aftermarket alarm system and a passive crossover under the steering column. They could be touching and shorting out on you. Because it becomes a jungle of wires down there. Also If you have a aftermarket alarm system and the buzzer alarm is mounted on top of the strut bar like mine is then the electrical shrink wrap from it can melt off and fall on the hot heat shield/turbo/manifold. happened to me. It'll reek.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
plastic burning doesnt smell like gun powder. a plastic bag stuck to your exhaust still smell for like 3 weeks but you will know exactly what is is. plus it wouldnt just show up when you get on it.

gun power smell would be closest to combustion/exhaust. small crack in the exhaust manifold or leak would likely be the culprit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts