Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting one of these gauge pods:

I've read reviews about the cluster but not the steering column products. Does anyone have one of these?

·
Registered
103 Posts
They suck, don't give them ur money. Late orders, sub-par finish, and bondo cracks...not worth it.
I'm thinking about getting one of these gauge pods:

I've read reviews about the cluster but not the steering column products. Does anyone have one of these?
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I vote just attach one to your OEM pod with screws and/or double sided tape. You can put it wherever you want, and you'll hardly be able to tell the parts are actually 2 separate pieces. Plus you can get a gauge pod off amazon for like $10.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I vote just attach one to your OEM pod with screws and/or double sided tape. You can put it wherever you want, and you'll hardly be able to tell the parts are actually 2 separate pieces. Plus you can get a gauge pod off amazon for like $10.
Where are you talking about putting the gauge pod? I don't see how using screws will look good.

I've been wanting the double gauge pod like the one above but haven't ordered it yet because of all the bad reviews and what seem to be very slow turn around time from ordering to actually receiving the double cluster pod.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Where are you talking about putting the gauge pod? I don't see how using screws will look good.

I've been wanting the double gauge pod like the one above but haven't ordered it yet because of all the bad reviews and what seem to be very slow turn around time from ordering to actually receiving the double cluster pod.

Sorry, meant the oem steering column plastic, not pod:duh:. I hit my head really hard lol.

Anyway I used black hardware, and it comes in a couple pieces so the section that holds the gauge itself covers the base enough to where you really couldn't see the screws once its all together. Everything being black it blended in pretty well. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my cars and all in all I was happy. For what it's worth I picked up a Forever Driven triple pillar pod a while back and refused to use it because it just wasn't quite up to standards.

This is the pod I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2204-Mounting-Cup/dp/B0009RUXPG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539562584&sr=8-3&keywords=52mm+gauge+pod

·
Registered
862 Posts
Is this something you are good at?

I have been wanting the Evo X Dual Pod Cluster for a long time but haven't pulled the trigger due to all the problems I keep reading about.

Do you think you could make this?
I've done some pieces before and I work with fiberglass. Time is more a constraint than the effort/work that needs to be done TBH.

I wouldnt make them out of PVC, due to the difficulty of long term attachment to the plastic. If that's done, a PVC cement is a better fit than standard plastic epoxy as the PVC needs to chemically bond to the glue to work, as well as the ABS.

If you made them yourself a good ABS plastic glue is FUSOR. Auto body grade stuff for repairing bumpers etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry, meant the oem steering column plastic, not pod:duh:. I hit my head really hard lol.

Anyway I used black hardware, and it comes in a couple pieces so the section that holds the gauge itself covers the base enough to where you really couldn't see the screws once its all together. Everything being black it blended in pretty well. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my cars and all in all I was happy. For what it's worth I picked up a Forever Driven triple pillar pod a while back and refused to use it because it just wasn't quite up to standards.

This is the pod I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2204-Mounting-Cup/dp/B0009RUXPG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539562584&sr=8-3&keywords=52mm+gauge+pod

Do you have pics of the install with everything covered up?

I like the Ortiz gauge cluster as it looks stock.

I have the A pillar dual gauge pod and don't like it at all as for me it seems to stick out and hinder viability when cornering tot he left.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've done some pieces before and I work with fiberglass. Time is more a constraint than the effort/work that needs to be done TBH.

I wouldnt make them out of PVC, due to the difficulty of long term attachment to the plastic. If that's done, a PVC cement is a better fit than standard plastic epoxy as the PVC needs to chemically bond to the glue to work, as well as the ABS.

If you made them yourself a good ABS plastic glue is FUSOR. Auto body grade stuff for repairing bumpers etc.
I would assume most of the price would be the time it takes and craftsmanship of making everything fit and look factory.

have you ever made the dual gauge pod gauge cluster?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would assume most of the price would be the time it takes and craftsmanship of making everything fit and look factory.

have you ever made the dual gauge pod gauge cluster?
I havent, no. That design was one that I was interested in making as it looks more factory than some of the other placements. But in the end I wasnt looking to remove any more visibility from my cluster than I have now. Construction wise, it does not look terribly difficult to do though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I havent, no. That design was one that I was interested in making as it looks more factory than some of the other placements. But in the end I wasnt looking to remove any more visibility from my cluster than I have now.
Looking at pics and videos it doesn't look to hinder any gauge viability. It seems to fill the empty space on both sides.

Construction wise, it does not look terribly difficult to do though.
To me it looks very hard to make it look good and like stock.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Looking at pics and videos it doesn't look to hinder any gauge viability. It seems to fill the empty space on both sides.
You lose the functionality of the dimmer button as it is behind the right hand gauge. The left hand gauge covers up a portion of the Tach, but its around the 2500 mark or so on under last I remember photos of it. Maybe I'm imagining it covers more than it really does.

The other quip I had with their design is that it has a open back and even if no one can see that there are exposed wires, I would know and it would bother me

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have pics of the install with everything covered up?

I like the Ortiz gauge cluster as it looks stock.

I have the A pillar dual gauge pod and don't like it at all as for me it seems to stick out and hinder viability when cornering tot he left.

Unfortunately no, the car was totaled before I snapped any interior shots with it done.

Not the best but, I found these at the link here in case you want to investigate further:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/387270-oem-gauge-solutions.html

Again not the best pic but, the first is the exact mount I used. The second is to give you an idea of the final product. Though pic 2 used a different mount it's very similar to what I saw from behind the wheel. I honestly think it looked about as OEM as the other options but there was no gamble with fitment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You lose the functionality of the dimmer button as it is behind the right hand gauge. The left hand gauge covers up a portion of the Tach, but its around the 2500 mark or so on under last I remember photos of it. Maybe I'm imagining it covers more than it really does.

The other quip I had with their design is that it has a open back and even if no one can see that there are exposed wires, I would know and it would bother me
I don't care about the dimmer switch but I do like to see the entire tach.

I think it would depend on your height and the angle you are looking at. It would be nice to see a proper straight on shot from eye level of someone sitting in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you can get a standard size gauge on either side without blocking the part of the OEM gauge you need to read. I have my boost gauge on the tacho side and it only blocks the dead space and some of the 8k+ RPM range. I can still see/reach the Info button without issue as well. I used a cravenspeed "Belmont" pod because it's a really well built piece with a minimal "foot" on it.
Top pic of basically what I see sitting (note the pod can be adjusted on a pivot based on your height/perspective) and the bottom pic for a better view of the pod.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't care about the dimmer switch but I do like to see the entire tach.

I think it would depend on your height and the angle you are looking at. It would be nice to see a proper straight on shot from eye level of someone sitting in the drivers seat.
Ill see what I can come up with for you

·
Registered
67 Posts
try 3d printing one in your local shop. you can pick the material, color and fine tune the fit and finish.
I don't know of a local 3d printing shop. I guess that would be the way to go if someone took the time to take all the measurement's and put into can for 3d printing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts