Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so brief history. Car has been in the shop for 3 months. Get car back on friday has dead battery. Saturday, I buy new Optima Red top from pep boys install in car, start car, drive car all is good. A few hours later I drive car a little hard, and I pull a check engine light. Check code when I get home, and get combo of p0101 p0102 p0103.

Check maf next day, clean maf, put maf back in, still p0102.

Buy new maf. Maf comes in the mail today, I install maf, clear codes, and still get p0102 and sometimes also p0113.

Card seems to drive fine. When I start the car when the engine has sit over night it goes strait to a low idle of like 500-600 and teters on wanting to stall. Solution, I just put my foot on the pedal to bring idle over 1000, and usually after 10-30 seconds I can let my foot off gas and it will be at 800-900 and if I let car sit long enough it works its way up to 1050 RPMS which is my normal idle. If i shut car off after fully warm, and start back up it idles fine.

So, considering I tried a new MAF, what else could be causing this issue? I did get a re-certified maf from rock auto, so maybe thats the issue, but i seem to experience the same issues with both maf's, and when I disco the maf completely, same issues same code.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,473 Posts
Did they properly scale the MAF? Logs?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they didnt touch the tune / map.

OK, I think i figured teh issue out.

So after posting the above, and being frustrated, I did what any normal man would do, and I took a road trip in the evo to KFC, to get me some chicken.

when i was sititng in the drive through I was idling at 2000 RPMS I have never had this symptom before. So i get home, and I pop the hood. I wiggle the cable that connects to the maf, and the maf itself, and as I do this I can hear my engine idle change.

so i get it to the point where the 2000 idle drops to normal. CEL still on tho. I then shut the car off. I clear the code, and then start the car up. GUESS WHAT no CEL and a perfect normal idle. I let it sit for a minute (normally I get the CEL instantly) and then i go and press on the maf/cable and boom, idle jumps and I get a CEL.

So it looks like the harness connected to the maf is not making a good connection.

OK, problem found, but now the question is how on earth do I fix this?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well talked to a friend at work, he suggested getting some conductivity grease and shoving it in the holes of the maf harness, and also maybe using a paper clip or toothpick to bend the prongs in the harness to make a mores snug fit.

So thats my mission when I get home.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using a rubber band, I was able to get the maf harness to stay put check engine free.

I tried using a push pin to move the connectors inside the maf harness to be tighter, and I tried the conductive grease, and without the rubber band it was a no go.

I will ultimately need a new harness anyone know how I can go about getting a new maf harness/connector? I will solder it on if need be, but that is going to be the only true solution.

or can i take this to the dealer since I kind of have proof the maf didnt go bad, and maybe the harness would be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is how I ended up fixing the issue. Problem is if I even touched the maf harness the wrong way, I would pull a p0102 again.

I changed my BOV last night, and afterwords had this issue happen again (prolly cause I touched the harness) so I did some more investigation.

The cable in the maf sensor harness that seemed to be causing all the trouble is the white one. If I touched that cable and only that cable with a screw driver or my finger, the idle would change.

So I pushed it in really far, and I even bent the prong on the maf slightly downward so that it touched the metal in the maf harness more securely, and so far that seemed to have remedy'd my issues.

I wonder how many Evo X owners who have maf issues, or thought their maf has failed, may have actually been having thiss issue, and this was the cause of their problem?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy smokes~ a loose wire on the harness was actually throwing MAF related codes? Definately an eye opener!
not sure if your trolling or what, but it wasnt loose, not as far as I could tell. It just seemed to in general, internally to the connector, was not making good contact.

I know people search on the forums for help, as that was the first thing I did so maybe this thread will be found from someone who can use it to help fix their problem without having to spend $$$

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Holy smokes~ a loose wire on the harness was actually throwing MAF related codes? Definately an eye opener!
not sure if your trolling or what, but it wasnt loose, not as far as I could tell. It just seemed to in general, internally to the connector, was not making good contact.

Hows that trolling??

Cheers for the info anyway...I'll defo check that next time mate:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.