Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have a new built transmission with a 10 disk, new valvebody, new damper, new billet forks.......

I am getting a P187A code.

Examples:

Cruising in 6th gear at 60mph I get a code thrown. Not trying to shift. So I do shift and it goes down to 4th. I upshift and it goes into 5th gear just fine and rides perfect.

Get the light in 4th and it skips and goes to 6th during an idle cruise not increasing mph.

It's not every time, most of the time 5th gear works just fine.

note: I drained the oil to check proper fluid levels, and it is blood red. Maybe from assembly lube?

Thank you for your help.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Did you perform a successful teach-in on the transmission after it was installed?

If not, do that, or contact someone who can do it for you. There are some shops out there that can provide this service remotely if you have a tactrix cable and a laptop

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid Liquid Ingredient Pekmez Cuisine

So I was having an issue with the clutches not fully disengaging while slowing down too. I did a teach-in on a snapon tablet and it resolved the clutch issue... but the 5th gear code comes up every time I drive it for a min in 4th or 6th and it decides 5th isn't available. When increasing speed 5th is available no issues, seems like if I'm a constant speed it acts up. The code does seem to come out everytime when staying a constant speed... but later in my trip it'll shift and not skip past 5th.

I overnighted some fluid and a filter since it's so red. Not sure how it's still so red if the trans was on the shops test car. But it's worth a try before dropping this brand new everything back out of the car. SMH.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
View attachment 289456
So I was having an issue with the clutches not fully disengaging while slowing down too. I did a teach-in on a snapon tablet and it resolved the clutch issue... but the 5th gear code comes up every time I drive it for a min in 4th or 6th and it decides 5th isn't available. When increasing speed 5th is available no issues, seems like if I'm a constant speed it acts up.

I overnighted some fluid and a filter since it's so red. Not sure how it's still so red if the trans was on the shops test car. But it's worth a try before dropping this brand new everything back out of the car. SMH.
[/QUOT]
Did you perform a successful teach-in on the transmission after it was installed?

If not, do that, or contact someone who can do it for you. There are some shops out there that can provide this service remotely if you have a tactrix cable and a laptop

After draining fluid and putting new fluid in back to OE levels.... the car will unfortunately not pass the Boost Teach-In section. The valve body was replaced when Jacks did the transmission so I have no idea at this point. Disappointed to be removing a 200 mile transmission.

· Registered
71 Posts
Who built it? Red fluid is motul I think (lots of other SST shops use it)

Sounds like mechatronic or synchro

You can replace the mechatronic in the car without removing the SST, try that first.

· Palindrome
1,144 Posts
I’d be calling Jack , iirc from some of Jacks vids he mentioned using only diaqueen fluid just like Kosmic strongly suggests.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I do have a solution. I Sent it back to Jack's Transmissions. I only use OEM fluid so not sure how it's so red after new oem fluid and then flushing and trying an entirely new fill of oem fluid. Unless their break in fluid is red... not sure. Maybe a big glob of assembly lube? I imagine if they mount every trans to their shop car they are using the most cost effective fluid.

What I do know is they took care of me. Due to covid it took a year to get my parts doing a complete build... I upgraded everything. Trans actually was one of the first things done and I had to wait for the machinists...so my warranty started before I could assemble the motor. I didn't get it sent back to them until right after the 14 month warranty expired. Jack's covered the repairs at no cost and said there was a clutch failure. It was disappointing I had an issue as soon as I installed it, but no big deal. I have a lift and just dropped everything. Sometimes the knowledge learned along the way is priceless. I'm just glad they have been nothing but professional and respectful.

I at least got it tuned 600whp on a mustang dyno, learned of some changes I need to make wastegate wise to make more power, and I can get back at it this spring. And of course got to drive it few times.

· Registered
EVO 9 2.2 stock turbo 60-130 8.2 sec
63 Posts
So I do have a solution. I Sent it back to Jack's Transmissions. I only use OEM fluid so not sure how it's so red after new oem fluid and then flushing and trying an entirely new fill of oem fluid. Unless their break in fluid is red... not sure. Maybe a big glob of assembly lube? I imagine if they mount every trans to their shop car they are using the most cost effective fluid.

What I do know is they took care of me. Due to covid it took a year to get my parts doing a complete build... I upgraded everything. Trans actually was one of the first things done and I had to wait for the machinists...so my warranty started before I could assemble the motor. I didn't get it sent back to them until right after the 14 month warranty expired. Jack's covered the repairs at no cost and said there was a clutch failure. It was disappointing I had an issue as soon as I installed it, but no big deal. I have a lift and just dropped everything. Sometimes the knowledge learned along the way is priceless. I'm just glad they have been nothing but professional and respectful.

I at least got it tuned 600whp on a mustang dyno, learned of some changes I need to make wastegate wise to make more power, and I can get back at it this spring. And of course got to drive it few times.
your problem is the clutch. the clearance was violated when assembling the clutch pack. Do you have 10 discs in each package? or 5 discs in 2 packages?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet that's what it was. Jack's Transmissions did say it was an issue with the clutch and fixed it for free. I am unsure if it's 5 in two packages or 10 in one. It's their 600hp package which they have mentioned some customers run up to 800whp on.

· Registered
EVO 9 2.2 stock turbo 60-130 8.2 sec
63 Posts
You must understand that all clutch tuning especially more than 5 discs in one package. will work extremely hard and not for long. The wear of this clutch is very fast. due to the fact that the thickness of the steel discs is reduced many times over. it holds a lot of time but not for long). what is your config?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts