Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that I am done (minus one more thing to buy - throttle body) with my "power" mods... It is time to do the cosmetics aspects of my baby...

I started a spreadsheet for the cosmetics and this is one thing that I cannot find ANY info on... anywhere... I have the AMS intercooler and the AMS writing is slowly coming off, no biggie sure however... My plan is to go NO CHROME on the vehicle along with BLACK IT OUT mentality except my tail lights for this project of mine...

I want to paint my IC completely black (like the ets one) and paint the AMS stencil white. To be able to paint the AMS stencil, I will be contacting AMS to receive their consent of course to make everything legit.

My question is... What would you guys suggest using when it comes to the paint choice... I was thinking of going with Engine Enamel by rust-oleum - black (white for the AMS stencil) and resists up to 1000F but I am just afraid that it wouldnt look natural due to the nature of the paint and would look like shit or rice.

Instead of asking the only trustable body shop in town for paint (they only work on high end vehicles, porsches/bmw/merc etc and are very very pricey)... I thought I'd get yall's opinion first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Just get some high heat Krylon or the like. That's what I did on the steering tube.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Try the DEI Silicone paint, it's used normally to cover exhaust tape but I have been using it on a few things in the engine bay. It's expensive but goes on very thin, the engine enamels drip and curdle too much. Does not seem to react to oil at all.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks J, I will definitely was going to use enamal on the steering tube but instead I will do high heat Krylon on it as it definitely looks so much better than anemel. Instead of using the word "painting" I should have used anodizing.

I wonder if there is a place in DFW to do that as I will be down there early FEB to get stuff installed. Might as well knock that out while I am at it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Thanks J, I will definitely was going to use enamal on the steering tube but instead I will do high heat Krylon on it as it definitely looks so much better than anemel. Instead of using the word "painting" I should have used anodizing.

I wonder if there is a place in DFW to do that as I will be down there early FEB to get stuff installed. Might as well knock that out while I am at it.
Specialized Performance Coating usually has a 1-3 day turn around... If you contacted Michael before hand, maybe he could clear a spot for you and get it done in the same day, maybe 2. He does everything from paint to powder.

Some items he has done for me...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, I will hit him up before I drive down there. I will definitely send in my positive cover and the ams uicp to have him do them black with the fmic. Do you know how the prices average for things?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Painting your IC will drop its thermal effectiveness, grant it, its minimal.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Subscribed so I can find it later. I've gotta touch up my Perrin FMIC because it's chipping like a bitch.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I anodized my AMS black and it looks sick...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Awesome, I will hit him up before I drive down there. I will definitely send in my positive cover and the ams uicp to have him do them black with the fmic. Do you know how the prices average for things?
I paid ~$20 for the tow hook, ~80 for the valve cover, and the pipes were like ~40 I believe. Not bad prices at all!

I will state however...make sure to dry fit your valve cover bolts each and every hole before mounting it back up. The very last hole I was putting the last bolt in and it was the one on the drip end, so it had excess powder. Instead of damaging the paint I opted to Dremel down the bolt sleeve. Not that big of a deal, live and learn!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Which one? I have the stealth and there are virtually no chips in mine.
Stealth. It's pretty bad. And I don't even drive on the highway all that much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same idea originally...I called AMS to see if they would do it right from their shop (so they could paint it "wrinkle black") and they told me that it wasn't a good idea to paint the intercooler at all. It is going to reduce its thermal effectiveness to a point where heatsoak is going to hurt performance...they suggested I get it anodized so that it wouldn't get clogged by paint...will look sweet as hell though!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your Engine bay looksVery Similar to Mine Dont ya think?

Specialized Performance Coating usually has a 1-3 day turn around... If you contacted Michael before hand, maybe he could clear a spot for you and get it done in the same day, maybe 2. He does everything from paint to powder.

Some items he has done for me...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I need to paint/anodize my intercooler asap. I was gonna just use a black rattle spray can but now I'm thinking that's a horrible idea.... It's been anodized black previously but the previous owner put some horrible red "EVO X" writing on the front. Looks so tacky. Guess I'll have to anodize the entire thing black again to get rid of the writing...?

OP, so you decided on sending it to a professional shop to get anodized?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts