Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wanting to black out my front end. I'm taking a strong look at Perrins Stealth Intercooler. Does the black absorb heat to the point of counter-productivity? I know that moving air will not be an issue, but here in TX where we have 106 degree summers with high humidity, anything black absolutely cooks in this heat. The hot, water-filled air here is not cooled easily anyway. Please chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
I was more curious if the black reduced the efficiency of the intercooler. I don't know how well it is at conducting heat, since an intercooler is a heat exchanger.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The black doesn't seem to absorb heat. I've driven in really hot weather for long distances and the intercooler is still cool to the touch. I will say that the intercooler is so big that it blocks the radiator to the point where the water temp goes up pretty significantly on the highway :mad:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
The Perrin IC is coated with a material that increases thermal efficiency. (both black and grey ones)

good to know. Was trying to find info on this. any suggestion on where to look/what to search for?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Any coating that CANNOT transfer heat better than slightly oxidized aluminum, is going to decrease the efficiency. Will it be any more or less than any of you could ever tell? Nope. Should you get a black anodized (probably top 2 best coatings for this application) intercooler for your car so you can look cool and never tell the difference? Yep.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
^^ yeah, that's what i figured. Even if it wasn't as efficient the difference would probably be so miniscule as to not matter.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The black doesn't seem to absorb heat. I've driven in really hot weather for long distances and the intercooler is still cool to the touch. I will say that the intercooler is so big that it blocks the radiator to the point where the water temp goes up pretty significantly on the highway :mad:

That's not good.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I will say that the intercooler is so big that it blocks the radiator to the point where the water temp goes up pretty significantly on the highway :mad:
I have not experienced this at all. My water temp stays pretty consistent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.