Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I ended up returning my Kenwood unit.
Best Buy is selling the Avic-D3 for $699 this week, was $1000 be for the sale ,
best buy has the 4 year service plan that I like, You can install it yourself, and if it somehow fry
its still cover under their plan.

but right now Pioneer also has a $200 mail in rebate ending April 31 If its not from Bestbuy,Circuit city,Car toys
So if you buy it from other online retailers, you can get the rebate
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/AVIC-D3

So If you buy it online, you can find it for $500 or less, This unit isnt a bad deal. I will be installing this unit some time this weekend.I will need to find a diagram of the ECU, or somehow find out where the speedsensor cable is so I have some working gauges. I will be sure to let you guys know if I run into any issue. Here is a Picture of it pre mounted on the Metra kit

1st pix is only showing the Gauges this unit has 7 or 8 you can pick from,but can only display 3 at a time

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm anxious to know how well the Metra kit matches the factory dash.

I was about to cough up $250 for the dual-din dash piece from Mitsu before I saw that Metra for like $35.

Just want to know how it matches before I get one to put my AVIC-Z2 in with one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is a few Iphone pix of the deck installed. Cant find my Digi cam.
The Metra kit fit perfectly. Well mine did with no gap, but I think I know why some people are getting gaps,On my 1st 3 try it left a small gap, but after taking it off the 4th time,and snapping it back on, it was perfect.
I had my RCA and Amp turn on cable attach in back,The rest of the wire are sitting behind my glove box right now.This way I don't need to take out the Avic-d3 deck anymore or anytime soon.
BTW this unit has full control of my Iphone, Video and all. Right now im stuck figuring out how remove the backseat to run RCA wire behind it.

Here is a few more shots of the Metra kit fitments, Color match all of the other lights in the car.

·
Registered
539 Posts
looks good, im still on the fence about getting the factory nav or throwing in my z1 i have :thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you already have nav as an option? is that the only way to put in a Double DIN headunit?
No I opt not to get a Factory Nav,I just have the SSS package with 9 Speaker.

As of right now, the Metra kit is the only one that will fit a double din flush.
The OEM kit that cost $300 from Mitsu, will only fit the factory Nav unit.
Because the OEM kit is an over size kit, its 7 and 3/4 inch and if you where
to install a standard Aftermarket 7" unit, It will leave a fair size gap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No I opt not to get a Factory Nav,I just have the SSS package with 9 Speaker.

As of right now, the Metra kit is the only one that will fit a double din flush.
The OEM kit that cost $300 from Mitsu, will only fit the factory Nav unit.
Because the OEM kit is an over size kit, its 7 and 3/4 inch and if you where
to install a standard Aftermarket 7" unit, It will leave a fair size gap.
can you explain more .. unless the setup is totally different now from these shots in the picture .. i don't get how you got the double DIN in when this shot shows the radio console area as one whole unit. :wtfsign:

is it because the SSS has a different unit layout such as this one below (without the nav)?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news, Found the digi cam, And just lift harder on the seat, the only thing hold them
is 2 plastic pressure clips just like the Older Evo. Now with the seat removed im back
at it installing the amp and get some Sub action. This time I will have better picture to go along with a simple install. Still deciding where to mount the amp.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have the JL Amp installed today here a few picture i took

Sub plug wired from the JL amp

$500+ worth of Monster Cable Fuseblock and Wire Off my old Honda CRX Custom competition Sound system from years back.
The good old days before kids.
Have not found any good use for them yet.

Simple AMP installed all wired up

Very Clean Ground wire location same as factory Battery location, If Mitsu found that to be the best place, why not use it.

RCA and Remote turn on wire, I know it runs along side the PowerCable from the battery but its only for the mono sub amp.
Will be running the RCA wire for the Component speaker on the driver side later on.

Was going to mount the amp this way, but its much easier to wire the amp the other way.

Here is just to show you the side plastic panel. Just lift up on them, They pop right out.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Well these pictures answered my questions about amp location and subs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
can u take some better shots of your whole console area in the daytime? i hope it's just lighting .. but the metra kit looks discolored compared to the OEM body parts. it looks more smooth discolored black/grey then the OEM rough looking black.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.