Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo All,

So which is the best option?

I want:
a) good power (obviously)
b) good reliability (obviously)
c) zero-to-low oil consumption
d) a quiet motor, ie NO phantom knock

Now some say that Wiseco are good for #4. But really its all forum talk, so I wanted to see if anyone had any real experience?

This will be for a 90mm bore btw... If that makes a difference..

Thanks
D.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've run JE pistons in my MX quad and love them. I've actually pulled some out after 25-35 hours of hard riding and they looked practically new (minus the burn on the top obviously). I know it's not the same as a car, but the brand is very reliable in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
If I would have to choose.

CP>Wiseco>JE/Manley

I know CP has great alloy properties that handle knock well. Also well as I think their piston skirts come coated.

Wiseco comes with all the bells and whistles (you can also get the HD varients custom made, I know because Wiseco HQ is 10 min from my house) Plus the skirts come coated.

JE I know many car get some piston slap/knock when cold.

Manley I don't have much info. So I but them near the bottom of the tier.

I think every engine builder has their preference. There is failures from all brands. But you have to also notice that if one has more failures. How many pistons do they make per year?

If I would build up a motor. I would probably go with some Wiseco or CP pistons and Manley Tuff Rods. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
^^ pretty much the way I'd rank it, but thats just based on what I've seen, not experienced. I'd also throw cosworth in there ranked equally, maybe a bit above CP

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only just got it as well...

Your fault for not prefixing with 0x

:)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
hrmmm well Wiseco are the cheapest of the lot aren't they?
That may or may not be significant...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I, too, would likely choose CP first. I have liked JE's customer service, fwiw. And currently using wiseco's in the race motor. But they all have a good product, so you can't go too wrong with which ever you choose.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so yours is noisy when cold?

my first preference is for JE (since Buschur and AMS use them), second is probably Wiseco..

but both will have deep relief, hopefully thicker deck and skirt coating...

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
My JE pistons never "made" noise. I trust AMS a lot which is why I used them.

My original build was going to use manley pistons but the coatings were taking forever. I'd run any of the pistons you mentioned honestly. CP was the first I thought about as my builder said they are awesome, but they didn't have a skirt coating for the X when I checked.

So I was just like screw it, AMS has the jE's in stock, going with those.

So basically I'd probably just go with what's in stock. MAP loves the weisco HD's and so do a few other shops...they are solid pistons, I'd consider them.

I guess I'd have a tough time choosing one over the other. Availability is basically what would make me pick one over the other.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hollywood - do you have ANY issues with phantom knock?

I presume that as long as you stick to the manufactures tolerances they should all be fine...

might check that out now.. see what JE recommend vs Wiseco..

even though they are the same company now lol

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what is the deal with the HD varient?

also whats this about the "new" JE spec as well?

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Wiseco has a line of Heavy Duty pistons for the Evo 8/9 etc. The X HD's are not an off-the-shelf product yet, but can be made to order which is what I chose. They are stronger and tolerances tighter as I am told.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts