Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently a 2013 STi owner but thinking of adding an Evo X to the stable as well. Back in 2015 or so I almost traded in my STI for a X but i think I sat in the Recaros (I was in a 2014 at a dealership) and decided to walk away. Now seeing as Evos tend to be keeping their values is it worth going after a Evo X in addition to my STi? Honestly I barely drive my STi as it's not my DD. Is an Evo X that much different drivewise from my STI? I have some concerns that the Xs out there have been dogged and modded as well. Anyways just some thoughts. I figure a white 2014 GSR with leather, though hard to find, is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also is the FE worth it, the stuff you get suspension wise, more power, etc, vs like a 2014 where you get the Recaros? Also how hard is it to find a GSR with leather Recaros?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think it's fairly difficult to find. That's how I ended up with a 2012. It was very well taken care of, had all maintenance records, and had the leather interior. I got it for a great price too.

GL. It's definitely getting harder to find a nice Evo, regardless of year, without spending a good bit on it.

I would like to have an FE, but I would have to get Recaros. It just doesn't feel right to me with those crappy Lancer seats. But I don't think there are a ton of difference in the FE and another GSR. The FE has the Bilstein shocks. Did it come with 2-piece rotors? I can't remember. It has red stitching, black roof, and painted wheels. Performance-wise, its not crazy different. 13hp due to different tuning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm seeing crazy prices, like literally close to MSRP for 2015s. I remember going to the dealer back then and they had tons, and you could get em for thousands off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason you'll find one buys an evo over sti is the potential to build. An evo will make more power mod for mod and seems to have higher thresholds and hold the power arguably more reliably. If you plan on only light modifications and you already have an STI there isn't going to be as big of an advantage. Many personal opinions of us would be that an evo simply handles better. AYC is a pretty big advantage and I prefer the front wheel bias of an evo. Handling tends to be much more predictable. TLDR: evo advantages over STI are potential for power, handling, maintenance and reliability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crazy light steering on my 2013 at higher speeds sucks. In general I'm thinking about an Evo because it's different, but same type of car as the STi. I don't mind cosmetic mods. But in general I don't do engine or exhaust mods.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What are you looking for in a car?? If you aren't modding and don't plan on pushing the car to its absolute limits, I think there's far better options stock. You can easily find a cla 45 amg or golf r at the same price point. There are cars with better oem performance, comfort and luxury, better fuel economy, and brand recognition. The vast majority of evo owners buy it as a platform and that's what it excels at. I wouldn't be looking at an evo or sti if I wasn't going to mod. Out of the two, definitely the evo X for handling and ayc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In general I like a turbo platform. I don't plan on modding. My other alternatives would be a Civic Type or Supra (they cost more) though I like 4 doors and seats which is what I've always liked about STIs and Evos as well as they are practical in that way. I don't need anything at present but the other day was like wholy crap Evos have gone up in value and thought maybe I should pick it up. Mainly for turbo and the handling you mention I've always read in reviews where it's great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In general I like a turbo platform. I don't plan on modding. My other alternatives would be a Civic Type or Supra (they cost more) though I like 4 doors and seats which is what I've always liked about STIs and Evos as well as they are practical in that way. I don't need anything at present but the other day was like wholy crap Evos have gone up in value and thought maybe I should pick it up. Mainly for turbo and the handling you mention I've always read in reviews where it's great.
I highly suggest you test drive one or rent one using turo or something and decide from there. Research the cla 45 amg though and golf r. Cla 45 amg is a awd compact sedan with a turbo charged 4cyl Making 350+ hp with far better fuel economy. It costs about the same as an evo in the used market and it's far more luxurious/comfortable. It's a Mercedes evo essentially.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I came from a 2010 MR with intake, FMIC, high flow cat and Catback 5150 racing tuned. I traded it in for a civic si and now I drive a 2015 STI nearing 100k. I mainly got rid of the Evo because I drove way too much. Got the civic and missed a turbo AWD car. Got a STI (intake and tune) because I owned a 2013 WW GSR (basic ass color) before I traded it back in because I couldn’t daily the GSR. You gotta ask yourself what is your ultimate goal with the car. Power? Daily driver? Full race car?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Jdjones24 Not full race car and not really every day car. I have a my garage queen (2013 STI) and my daily Mazda 3 hatch. If I got an Evo I maybe would sell the Mazda and rotate the STi and Evo for daily as they both have plenty of space for me. But potentially would keep the 3.

Not into drag racing, street racing, etc. I haven't modded my STI beyond a couple cosmetic changes like mudflap. Exhaust is just ordered from the factory SPT catback which I think sounds great. That's all I really need to enjoy it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts